What is the "new" date JWs are "hinting" at for Armaggeddon?

by booker-t 49 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

The feeling I get is that most JWs believe (even if they won't say it) that Armageddon will come in October of this year. And when that doesn't happen they will look to 2034.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Focus - "Allegiance to THE GOVERNING BODY is more and more the order of the day. The sworn allegiance is to THEM and not the SOCIETY."

There was a bit in COC where Ray Franz mentioned that a "loyalty oath" idea was once brought up, but its Nazi-ish-ness caused more level-headed opinion to prevail.

Not surprised that it never really left the table, though, I suppose.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

JimmyPage - "The feeling I get is that most JWs believe (even if they won't say it) that Armageddon will come in October of this year."

Oh, for sure.

Ten-times-ten, after all; "Earthly completion".

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Even I could even spin October 2014 as having some biblical merit.

Gen 15:12-16: 12 When the sun was about to set, a deep sleep fell upon A′bram and a great and frightening darkness descended on him. 13 Then He said to A′bram: “Know for certain that your offspring will be foreigners in a land not theirs and that the people there will enslave them and afflict them for 400 years. 14 But I will judge the nation they will serve, and after that they will go out with many goods. 15 As for you, you will go to your forefathers in peace; you will be buried at a good old age. 16 But they will return here in the fourth generation, because the error of the Am′or·ites has not yet reached its full measure.

The spin? If the fourth generation is at the end of the 400 years, then each generation must be 100 years long. Simple math, right?

• Syme
    Syme

Ray Franz had theorized in his COC book that the next date could be 2034, based on the Noah's Flood 'parallel'.

Of course, they would not bring up the 2034 doctrine now, because it's too soon. For the time being, the End is just ''imminent''. If they bring it up, they'll do it about 5 years prior 2034, not more.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I was told by an elderly dub (80) that he might not see it in his lifetime, BUT HE WAS CERTAIN I WOULD SEE IT!!! (He yelled the last part so I capitalized it)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I was told by an elderly dub (80) that he might not see it in his lifetime, BUT HE WAS CERTAIN I WOULD SEE IT!!! (He yelled the last part so I capitalized it)

Yes, the expression I have heard several times is that if they die before Armageddon, then they will "see it" via the UNDERGROUND*.

Doc

* via death & resurrection (thought I better explain it for some)

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

LOL....hey Data Dog....ME TOO

I remember panicking at the end of Empire Strikes Back and telling my Book Study Conductor that I was worried I wouldn't get to see if Han Solo got our of the permafreeze Jabba the Hutt put him in.

I wish I was joking......I'm not.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

The idiots in JW Leadership could have saved the cult all this embarrassment if they would have listened to expert historians that tried to tell their dumb Watchtower asses that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587 BCE not 607 BCE. They could have had the gentile times end in 1934 then spin the rise of Hitler and start of WWII being due to Satan being cast down to the vicinity of the earth and the time of the end starting. They could have even kept the "this generation" teaching. It's as believeable as as other of the bullshit they put out. All you need to do in JW theology is cherry pick some bible scriptures to support it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

daringhart13 - "I remember panicking at the end of Empire Strikes Back and telling my Book Study Conductor that I was worried I wouldn't get to see if Han Solo got our of the permafreeze Jabba the Hutt put him in."

LOL!

With me, it was hearing that 1986 would be the "International Year of Peace", and hoping that I'd still get a chance to see Aliens before the Big A came.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit