Ironic quote in the 5/14wt lesson "Are you moving ahead with Jehovahs Organization"

by BU2B 42 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

The whole article makes me ill with its worse than average mind control.

I was going to only include one quote but there are so many doozies that I will post what I feel to be the worst.

from paragraph 6

"God’s organization survives and flourishes on earth because the people who are part of it have his approval."

What immediately came to mind when I read this statement is how the LDS, or 7th day Adventists could make the same statement. Also if a religious organization's survival and success have everything to do with God's approval, then how does the WT explain the success of the other groups of a similar age such as the LDS church, the 7th day Adventists or others who have equal or better growth? The survival and success of an organization, to a logical mind, has nothing to do with any God.

In a similar vein, paragraph 8 says

There has been remarkable growth in the number of God’s servants because Jehovah himself is backing his Witnesses. (Read Isaiah 43:10-12.) This increase was foretold in these prophetic words: “The little one will become a thousand and the small one a mighty nation. I myself, Jehovah, will speed it up in its own time.” (Isa. 60:22) At one time, the anointed remnant were like “the little one,” but their number grew as other spiritual Israelites were brought into God’s organization. (Gal. 6:16) Because of Jehovah’s blessing over the years, the increase continues with the gathering of the great crowd.

Again we can see the emotionally charged, fallacious, manipulation filled techniques the WT employs. It asserts that the growth in the number of JWs is DUE TO JEHOVAHS BACKING. It also asserts that the growth of JWs is in fulfillment of Isaiahs prophecy. It ends with saying that the reason there is any growth among JWs is because of Jehovahs blessing. Again I ask what could prevent any similiar sized group or bigger group from using these same scriptures or making the same claim? Illogic at its best when looking at it from a neutral perspective.

Paragraph 10 is also very manipulaitve

10 The earthly part of Jehovah’s organization is moving ahead in various ways. For instance, our understanding of Bible truth is constantly becoming clearer. This is to be expected, for “the path of the righteous is like the bright morning light that grows brighter and brighter until full daylight.” (Prov. 4:18) But we might well ask: ‘Am I keeping pace with refinements in our understanding of Scriptural truth? Is it my custom to read the Bible daily? Am I an avid reader of our publications? Do I and my loved ones have a weekly Family Worship evening?’ Most of us will agree that it is not too hard to do these things. Often it is just a matter of setting aside time to do them. And how important it is to take in accurate Scriptural knowledge, apply it, and make spiritual progress—especially now that the great tribulation is drawing so close!

(Sigh) Ok first off, the paragraph asserts that because the organization changes, it is improving by default. This is proven false by history of flip flops like organ transplants, superior authorites, elder arrangement, etc.. These flip flops prove that any change is not good change. Then they pull out the trusty "light gets brighter" argument and makes the reader feel guilt if they have not kept up with all the changes, does not understand them, or disagrees. It then closes with a warning that it is now more importat than ever to study WT publications because- THE GREAT TRIBULATION IS NOW DRAWING SO CLOSE!! Right so close like it was pre 1914, 1925, 1975, this single generation, the year 2000, and now the overlapping generation. The great tribulation has been "SO CLOSE" for over 120 years of WT history. There has never been a period where they have refrained from making such rash claims. The boy who cried wolf anyone?

The paragraph that drove me to create this post was this one in paragraph 14

14. How did one brother feel about the visible part of God’s organization?

14 Brother Pryce Hughes, who resolutely stuck to God and kept in step with His organization, once wrote: “I am so thankful that I have lived in the knowledge of Jehovah’s purposes from those early days just prior to 1914 . . . If one thing has been most important to me, it has been the matter of keeping close to Jehovah’s visible organization. My early experience taught me how unsound it is to rely on human reasoning. Once my mind had been resolved on that point, I determined to stay by the faithful organization. How else can one get Jehovah’s favor and blessing?”

The life story of Pryce Hughes appears in the 4/1/63 WT from which I will post a portion.

However, there were some problems to face. During the years from 1918 to 1922 there were many tests of faith. Many voices were being heard, all claiming to be God’s channel of truth. It was the time for the sifting process that accompanied the coming of Jehovah to his temple for judgment. (1 Pet. 4:17, 18) Earnestly I prayed to Jehovah for guidance. How great the relief when I saw clearly who the “faithful and discreet slave” is! (Matt. 24:45-51) Then the second president of the Watch Tower Society, J. F. Rutherford, came to Liverpool to deliver the lecture “Millions Now Living Will Never Die.” What an exhilarating experience it was to see the hall packed out, with thousands more on the outside!

This guy must have been ultra-deluded. First of all he claims that he "lived in the knowledge of Jehovahs purposes prior to 1914" That is a lie seeing as everything taught by the WT regarding 1914 later had to be changed, he had no knowledge. Then he said how he sees the value of sticking close to "Jehovahs organization" he then follows with the extremely ironic statement My early experience taught me how unsound it is to rely on human reasoning. WHAT?? He had just went through the failed prophecy of 1914, with every expectation failing to manifest itself. In his life story above, he raves about how he could clearly see who the Faithful Slave was after the "Millions now living will never die" talk, yet another false prophecy. It may have been "exhilarating" like he said, but so were Hitler's rallies in all likelyhood. Excitement and enthusiasm does not truth make. He went through 1914 and 1925 yet could still say how we need to stick close to the organiztion because is unsound to rely on "HUMAN REASONING"?? WTF was 1914 and 1925 false prophecies if they were not "human reasoning"? History has told us that it certainly was not from God! What a sad thing a delusional mind is. He speaks glowingly of a talk that should be a black eye on the organization, yet they seem to be proud of it.

Paragraph 15 moves ahead with this bold statemet

15 If we are to have Jehovah’s favor and blessing as individuals, we must support his organization and accept adjustments in our understanding of the Scriptures

Well you cant get much more blatant than that. Add that one to your site JWfacts! HEre is a clear statement that we CANNOT have God's blessing unless we not only support the WT but also Accept adjustmets in OUR understanding of the scriptures. The OUR means the GB. If someone cannot accept a change like the FDS or generation, then this article is saying that you cannot have Jehovahs favor or blessing!!

In conclusion, it seems the WT is growing bolder in its demands and claims, or at least are becoming less shy about stating them explicitly in the WT. I plan on studying this lesson with my wife since I am still her "spiritual head" as per WT. I will be attempting to ask her thought provoking uestions to her, trying to guage where she really stands. A good question to ask a JW may be "Do you feel that if you have doubts about a new teaching in the WT that you deserve to be condemed as not having Gods favor?" Or "If you in your heart did not accept adjustments regarding organ transplants when they were banned, did that mean you didnt have Jehovahs favor even though you were correct?"

Just some Ideas. I look forward to your comments -BU2B

• Raton
    Raton

Marked. I probably state this in most of my posts but I only recently starting looking into all of this. I have found so much out in such a short period of time that this org is really starting to piss me off. Maybe I need a break..............

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Also if a religious organization's survival and success have everything to do with God's approval, then how does the WT explain the success of the other groups of a similar age such as the LDS church, the 7th day Adventists

Ironically, this list could include the IBSA, who were started by Russell and still thrive to this day. By WT dogma, that group should have disappeared years ago because they haven't "progressed" beyond Russell's teachings like WT claims to have done.

And, as you said BU2B, if surviving and thriving are clear signs of God's "approval", WT has certainly been bested by most religions in that department.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

How can you "move ahead" with a group that isn't going anywhere? All alleged "forward motion" among JWs is completely illusory. They change doctrines periodically to perpetuate the illusion of motion, forward or otherwise. But a change of doctrine, right or wrong, does not "forward motion" make.

Where, exactly, have they moved from, and where have they moved to? Nowhere!

Let's take a look back for a moment to a point made in the OP: Rutherford's claim that “Millions Now Living Will Never Die” really should make it clear that he didn't know what he was talking about. It's been 90 years. There are less than a million people still alive that were old enough to understand it when he made that claim. It was a false prophecy. The WTBTS did not have the truth then, nor do they have it now.

Truth is not something that only one person or group can possess at the exclusion of others. Truth doesn't care who you are or what you believe.

Now let's take a look at a point from a recent talk from this year's International Conventions. The speaker made an historical comparison between "Satan's world" and those allegedly benefitting from Christ's rule for the last century.

It's the 100th Anniversary of Christ's invisible reign and what does the WTBTS have to show for it? While Satan's world has been busy using science and technology to create everything from microwave ovens to iPhones, BMWs to the Mars rovers, what has Jesus' people have come up with what? The photo-drama of creation and the JW.ORG website. Both of which, by the way, can only exist because of technology developled by Satan's system of things.

See this recent thread for more details: IC 2014 talk: "A Century of Kingdom Rule Contrasted With a Century of Satan’s Rule"

There's no "forward motion" here. The WTBTS is hopelessly behind "Satan's world" and are desperately trying to look relevant. It's really pretty pathetic actually.

Let's review: It's a cult!

- -

• skin
    skin

I don't think I could handle that self promoting pay attention to me study.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

Marked

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I found from comments my husband has made, that in his view, ( which seems to be the fully indoctrinated view) the #1 thing to do is follow the org, being "in union" with the GB is somehow a proof of being Gods organization?!?!. To follow false interpretations is a proof that they are willing to obey, in thier minds, to obey God. ( A double think in my opinion, since I am under the impression the JW insist that God does not test people)

It's frustrating and sad because this means no amount of actual fact, no amount of absurdity will get through to those fully indoctrinated. A person MUST be willing to disagree with the GB, the org, to feel some sense of indepenant thinking to be able to actually THINK.

That said, my mentally indoctrinated husband has not been at a meeting for close to two years now and has avoided the study partner for more than a year.

So there is always this level of uncertinty, of not knowing just what is going on within the personas mind. Did he say what he knew he was supposed to, or did he totally believe it? I'm not positive, which is why I still hold some hope for him to find a release from the mental prison his brain is in.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

"Both Mormons and Seventh-day Adventists started at a similar period of time as the Watchtower Society and have similar numbers of members due to their active preaching. Seventh-day Adventists successfully preach the good news, including at peoples homes."
    "For instance, a group renowned for their preaching efforts are Baptists. Baptists have the most missionaries of any religion. In 2004 there were 7 million Baptists out side of America, 600,000 baptisms and 21,000 new churches. In 2004 Witnesses baptised only 200,000 globally."
    "Pentecostalism is the world's fastest-growing Christian movement with over 150 million adherents, growing at an estimated 19 million members per year."

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/preach.php

• factfinder
    factfinder

marked

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

nonJWS: "...being "in union" with the GB..."

Sounds like somebody's sharing tight pants with Tony da Turd.

"God’s organization survives and flourishes on earth because the people who are part of it have his approval."

If survival is all it takes to prove that an organization has god's approval, it logically follows that Apple, Inc. also has his approval. WT has new teachings, while Apple has new products. "Friends, are we keeping up with the latest nulite coming from the inspired engineers at Apple, Inc.? ... Well, we should be, otherwise we'll be birdfood very soon now!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit