Delete Personal Messages

by Maranatha 47 Replies latest forum suggestions

• Simon
    Simon

No, it's being clear and open and not giving the false impression that items that are still very much accessible are really 'deleted'. If anyone tells you otherwise they are lying and / or a poor operator IMO. What, no backups? But if backups is it really deleted?

As a side note, I find it funny that many nowuse the NSA as an example of 'power and survailance gone too far' but would still label Snowden a traitor.

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: I'm monitoring your internet activity and am making notes for your file. ;-)

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Maranatha -

I don't think any atheists hate god the way you think we do. We certainly hate many of the negative things that have occurred due to the belief in a god (religious cults, genocide, etc). Certainly there'd be bad people with and without god, but taking away one more excuse to practice racism, sexism, homophobia, and all manner of other unfounded predjudices can't possibly be anything but beneficial. All that being said, we don't "hate god" any more than we hate vampires.

As for our apparent desire to turn people away from god, I imagine that my PM to you has a part in this statement. I've never made an effort to turn anyone away from god. You asked me some questions, and I answered them honestly with no other motive other than a commitment to honesty and truth. I appologize if my commitment to truth and honesty is offensive to you, but I think you may need to practice the advice of the bible and be a little slower to judgement.

I can see how you'd see certain conversations between like-minded atheists as patting each other on the back, but can you say that it's any different than what christians do when they get together to pat themselves on the back when discussing their ministry or their spirituality or bible study or whatever?

All this is on top of your committing the most common mistake of theists - assuming that atheism is in any way, shape, form or fashion a religion. It is a religion in exactly the same way that the vaccuum of space is a gas, off is a TV channel, abstinence a sexual position, transparent a color.

Please remember to exhibit the christian qualities of kindness and love, and allow others to enjoy the freedom of thought, expression and belief (or lack thereof) that I'm certain that you cherish dearly.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

lol Simon...I appreciate people like Snowden very much. Although I knew about these things decades ago.

If we had a simple 'block' button if anyone receieved a single unpleasant, offensive or threatening PM one could simply block the individual immediately and so removing all possiblilty for any more offense to occur. It would also remove your workload in dealing with complaints and problems maybe?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Maranatha, you have a very thin skin for someone who chooses to believe in things with no evidence but personal feelings. Surely you should be immune to crticism by now after years of believing that way, having learned that people who try to think rationally would find your position utterly ridiculous. By the way, regarding the appropriateness of many agnostics and atheists being on a site for ex-Witnesses... are you aware that this religion produces more non-religious people than any other religion in the world? See http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/282199/1/Fastest-growing#5062834

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

are you aware that this religion produces more non-religious people than any other religion in the world?

I can vouch for that.. they succeeded in washing the religion right out of me I think for ever. After that great deception I don't think I am capable of believing anything any 'religious' person tells me.

• cofty
    cofty

Some people leave the oraganisation because of personal issues. They may still harbour feelings for some of the things they were once taught to believe.

Others wrestled with doctrines for months or years and eventually worked out that our previous beliefs were untenable. Among this group are some who rigourously apply the same critical thinking skills to all of their most fundamental beliefs. Many ring-fence sacred ideas like god and divine revelation, while claiming to have evidence for these things. Invariably they are never willing to share this evidence and tend to get angry and defensive when it is held up to scrutiny.

The solution is not to ask rational people to stop asking critical questions.

• MissFit
    MissFit

I just realized I missed some of this thread. I thought others might find it enlightening .

BTW: I always found Lisa Rose to be a fair and balanced poster. I always make sure to read her posts.

I get a kick out of Villiage Girl's posts . She calls them as she sees them and never pulls her punches.

Cofty believes in being intellectually honest.

He will call b.s. when he sees it, but he will back up his statements and will also be the first to admit if he sees value in another P.O.V.

I respect his experience and knowledge but reserve the right to make up own mind, and I know Cofty wouldn't want it any other way.

I see Simon as an impartial observer. His job is to protect his site and keep it a safe place for us.

This site is what you make of it. There are so many diverse people and viewpoints. There is something for almost everyone. Just pick and choose who you want to listen to and engage.

I hope you stick around and get to "know" some of the posters here. Click on their avatars and check out some of their posts. You might find some things in common.

I hope to get to know you better.

Btw: you can learn more of my story by also looking up Miss.Fit (the cute cuddle piglet) I had to reregistar using MissFit and my Gangsters Pigglet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit