The hardship of being a gay Jehovahs witness.

by truthwillsetyoufree 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• DJS
    DJS

Bill, Heart and Freedom,

I usually ignore VG because of her broad-brushed, reactionary manner/rants. She's also a very angry person (men, elders, gay men (well maybe she likes poor gay men), men with large stomachs who can easily get laid while fat women can't, etc. - I think there may be a pattern here (penis envy???)).

But this one is just too easy. From NBC News. The Williams Institute has been in the forefront of analyzing and reporting this type of data on the LGBT community for many years and is one iof the most credible sources for this data:

By Barbara Raab

May 31, 2013

NBC News

"When gays and lesbians are featured in popular culture, what do we see? White, wealthy women who host talk shows or affluent men doting on their kids — like Mitchell and Cameron from “Modern Family.” So it’s no wonder that the conventional wisdom is that gay people in America have tons of money and fewer economic struggles than the rest of the population.

But the truth is significantly different.

“I think people are surprised there are any poor gay people,” says M.V. Lee Badgett, professor of economics and research director for The Williams Institute, a national think tank at UCLA Law School researches sexual orientation and gender identity law and public policy. “This ‘myth of gay affluence’ has been around for a long time. It gets in the way of people even imagining that LGBT people can be poor.”

On Monday, the Williams Institute will release a detailed study about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people and their real economic status. Drawing on recent data from four different sources, the report finds a sexual orientation “poverty gap”: LGBT Americans are more likely to be poor than heterosexuals, with African-Americans and women particularly vulnerable."

• steve2
    steve2

Oh, I should have placed a wink after my comment. When the elders came to visit me, I was far from "out" - so I was a model of propriety. Besides, I would never offer an elder a full body massage. The oil would never ease that level of bodily tension. You would need paint stripper to achieve any kind of relief.

• Freedom77
    Freedom77

Yeah DJS I saw that report too. Who knows what the truth is. I've noticed over the last 3.5 decades of being out that gay organizations have seesawed back and forth constantly on this topic: playing up the poor, pitiful angle when they want to get legislative or government support for something (just like various other groups of all kinds, playing the victim card - a very human trait) - or when they want to attract advertisers or corporate sponsors, singing how affluent teh gayz are, yada yada.

Personally, I'm living hand to mouth. I've known plenty of gay men and women at all levels from bricklayers and truckdrivers to lawyers and doctors. My strong feeling is that we are as a group just about the same, percentagewise, as the straight society around us, some rich some poor and most somewhere in the middle, and fighting to stay there like everyone else.

• MissFit
    MissFit

I am currently requesting my views regarding homosexuals. Your post really touched me and gave me a "personal" insight into the pain caused by the JW biases.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Thank you for your story. I never really thought about it before what it would be like to be a gay JW. Wish you the best in following your dreams and living a fulfilling life outside of that horrible so called God's organization. I am so happy I don't judge people the way I did when I was in the JW lifestyle. I know a lot of awesome gay people, and my youngest daughter is one of them-- so glad I left that horrible religion before I raised my 3 kids.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I live in the San Francisco bay area, and even here, where gays are more accepted, and where many people make an above average salary, it is not easy for everyone. Many gay men and lesbian women face discrimination in the marketplace, they don't all live a life of luxury, the cost of living here is horrific. A basic apartment in San Francisco is three or four thousand dollars a month, if you can find it. If they are doing well, it's for the same reason as anybody else, they sacrificed to get and education and they took risks, and they worked very, very hard.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence Village girl, it's better not to stereotype people based on gender and sexual orientation.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

I would find a partner. Walk into the hall with him. The moment someone gives you trouble give then the finger. If the elders try to pull you aside get you cellphone out a record it... say you will post it on youtube and drop it off at the police station... two men be harrassed at a place that says: "Visitors Welcome"

Yes I have said many times. The only people that can change the WT is the borderline JWS!

Even if they DF you what is the issue? It s afriggin title. It means nothing. Go to the hall, grab the mic and answer when a person walks by. Record all your harrasment.

Once you realize these dictators have no control you will be free. You actually rule them because they are fools reacting to>> YOU!

• JOHNROSS93
    JOHNROSS93

I relate to your story. Thanks for sharing it! I hope you are ok now.

• dddcat
    dddcat

I am attracted to men.... to the touch of a man... to the love of a man... I dont lust for sex... I lust for love, affection and protection from a man.

I have been a pioneer, a ministerial servant, an elder.... but I don't have the capability of returning to such a life as a JW without the love of a man. If Jehovah has created this need, why is it condemned? If Jehovah has allowed this feeling to satisfy ones needs, why am I to be destroyed in Hamaggedon? Why does receiving love from a man feel so good, so right... so great? Why is it sin? I Just don't understand...

• Quendi
    Quendi

It is the homophobic WTS which doesn't understand love, dddcat. If you have left its control, stay out. If you are still a Witness, even an inactive one, get out and start living your own life.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit