BBC Radio 4 reference to 607 Babylonian conquest?

by 88JM 59 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Londo111
    Londo111

I received this email today:

Dear Mr Mollari

Reference CAS-2803631-D95SHW

Thank you for contacting us about ‘Something Understood’, broadcast on 6 July 2014.

We understand you feel the programme incorrectly referenced the date of Jerusalem’s destruction was 607 BC.

We were sorry to learn you were concerned by a reference in the programme so we reviewed the segment in question and discussed your points personally and at length with the senior producer responsible.

He advises that you are indeed correct in your observation that the date referenced in the programme was wrong, and the production team admit and apologise for an error on their part. They took a date used by Jehovah's Witnesses, rather than the more accepted historical date which, in the context of this programme, as you say they should have done, whilst also acknowledging that the date in question is an important, defining date for Jehovah's Witnesses.

Sorry again for the mistake and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We value your feedback about ‘Something Understood’. All complaints are sent to senior management and programme makers every morning and I included your points in this overnight report. These reports are among the most widely read sources of feedback in the BBC and ensures that your complaint has been seen by the right people quickly. This helps inform their decisions about current and future programmes.

Thank you again for contacting us.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

They took a date used by Jehovah's Witnesses, rather than the more accepted historical date

So much for good journalism.

Doc

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Nice one Londo, well done!

• cofty
    cofty

Well done Londo.

Now keep an eye out for JWs referencing the BBC's error

• Londo111
    Londo111

Thanks. It was a team effort by many here.

I just wish they would do an on-air correction.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

So what was it, poor sloppy research taking the 1st date google threw up, or a JW on the research team?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Well done Londo

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Good one, Londo!

• Londo111
    Londo111

Thanks. I know I'm hardly the only one who sent an email. Perhaps others can share their responses?

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

This may be altered at the next AGM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit