BBC Radio 4 reference to 607 Babylonian conquest?

by 88JM 59 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 88JM
  • Splash
    Splash

Or check out Londo's excellent video series, dismantling 607BCE one brick at a time.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyNx0oM_bmgBFMnAPjR_V5Fe9_pf8sQA1

Splash

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Even if a correction is broadcast, this reference will now appear in a future WT article about Jerusalem's destruction.

"According to the BBC...."

Oh heck. You're probably right. Or it'll be circulated in emails: "BBC journalist John McCarthy said, 'The Babylonian conquest of Jerusalem [was] in 607 B.C.' See, even the worldly media are vindicating our Bible chronology!"

Thanks for the clip, 88JM!

• Londo111
    Londo111

Thanks, Splash!

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Wow....just wow.

I am curious as to their explanation. I wonder if it would be appropriate to mention in the letter to them, that they are using a date that is unsupported archeologically, biblically, and that only Jehovahs Witnesses have attached any importance to this date, in order to support their unique doctrines.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, this is unfortunate. Now, 607BCE was thought to be the date for many years, right? I believe that was why Russell (?) used it for his calculations in the first place. So perhaps they looked at an old source and this has nothing to do with the JWs.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

I doubt they looked at an old source, why would they? We'd be talking about a book from the 19th century!

Either someone got it from JW literature or from a pro-JW site. No one else talks about 607.

All historians site 586/587BC or 587BC as the correct date for the fall of Jerusalem. And all historical/Wiki websites do the same.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yeah, I suppose you're right.

• besty
    besty

on Google there are about 100,000 references each to Jerusalem and 586 or 587

there are about 2,000,000 references to 607

a sloppy researcher could easily get the wrong end of the stick

talk about 'teach the controversy' having intended consequences - sigh.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

on Google there are about 100,000 references each to Jerusalem and 586 or 587

there are about 2,000,000 references to 607

Gah!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit