Pets aren't people, says speaker at Regional Convention. Fido and Mimi better watch out! And instead of drinking wine or beer go do some gardening or play golf.

by oppostate 43 Replies latest social current

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

@HeyThere- Witness in the van says: "I tort I taw A PUDDIE TAT!"

If people baptized their animals would that make them ok?

• prologos
    prologos

I recall a reference by wt writers to the loyalty of dogs, comparing them favorably to those that abandoned the wt leadership after the 1975 debacle.

What wt is afraid of is, that many JWs will, when the emotional chips are down,

prefer their Spaniel to Splane,

their Labrador to Loesch,

their St Bernard to Sanderson.

In case of real danger, the dogs are surer to sense the danger, deliver.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

For some jws who've put off kids in 'this system' to 'do more for Jehovah' and for whom the end hasn't come, their pets are all they've got. And the org wants to take that from them.

Whoever thinks pets have no value has obviously had no experience with them. They provide companionship, love, affection, entertainment, interest, calming and so much more, and all they ask back is your love and attention. To deprive people of the joys animals can bring is heartless and ignorant.

Case in point: I used to breed quails. Tending my flock and raising beautiful birds from eggs to little fluffy chicks to watching as new plumage patterns emerged gave me intense satisfaction. Even watching them dust bathing like mad in a new tray of beach sand was delighting. I was understandably proud of my quails and jws at the hall often asked me how they were or wanted to see them. So of course I'm telling the co about the joys of my quails and he said, "wow, one day I'm going to hear that you've given up your quails for Jehovah and joined the full time work!" Like I was somehow less spiritual because I loved birds. I also told some elders about how much joy the birds brought me that Jehovah wouldn't want to take away something that made me so happy. I'd been suffering from depression and anxiety cuz of being a jw and breeding quails was my only outlet. Point is, I was not a good association because I took time to care for 50 birds.

That seems to be the jw way, unless it's an elder's wife. She can worship her cat but no one else can spend time with a cat, a dog or a bird.

• zeb
    zeb

As George Bernard Shaw said: "The more I get to know people the more I love my dog..."

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

how the f#$k can men living in Bethel, who dont have pets, presume to write talks about not getting attached to pets!

"god" supposedly gave animals as companions on earth.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

*** g89 6/8 p. 19 Can You Really Care for a Pet? ***Cats and Dogs—And You
    Not all adults consider the consequences of accepting another “member” into the family. They do not always foresee the inconveniences and responsibilities that a pet can bring. This may especially be true of Jehovah’s Witnesses, who lead such busy lives in their Christian ministry and are often away attending meetings and Christian conventions. Then the problem of finding someone to care for the pet arises. Certainly, it would not be appropriate to miss Christian activities because of an overly sentimental attachment to animals.—Hebrews 10:24, 25.

@ kaik: true words.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Good quote fastjehu!

Hey GB tell that to the many who are not going to the international convention...because they have no one to take care of their animals.

Oh, maybe they should just leave thm, and a miracle will make food fall from heaven and keep the anials fed...and warm and safe...

Out of touch sick idiots GB.....

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Or the pets will die of neglect like those chickens in Burma when the owners left them alone to go with the convention. Remember how the gb lauded those faithful jws for leaving their chickens to die and Jehovah blessed them by making their remaining chickens have sex to make chicks to replace the ones who died of neglect?

• stillin
    stillin

But I'm GRATEFUL when I miss a meeting because of a pet.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Better that than your pet die of neglect like those chickens. Unless you're the gb. Then let the pet die and get your butt to the meeting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit