Pets aren't people, says speaker at Regional Convention. Fido and Mimi better watch out! And instead of drinking wine or beer go do some gardening or play golf.

by oppostate 43 Replies latest social current

• oppostate
    oppostate

A big discussion driving back from the Regional Convention about what exactly was meant about pets.

The warning was obvious to me. Don't get pets, they cost time and money and you would do better to spend your time and money supporting the organization and going in field service.

As to the wine and beer, because the bro during his soliloquy admitted that the first thing he would like to do is relax after a hectic day at work with a glass of wine or beer, his conscience was traumatized. However he came up with a perfect idea, he'd go tend the garden (obviously a solution for a married bro) or hit some golfballs at the driving range (maybe he's not married).

Maybe Jesus should have told the wine guzzlers at Cana to sober up and go till the fields.

• blondie
    blondie

*** g04 2/22 p. 5 Animals—A Gift From God ***

The remarkable loyalty of animals actually causes some people to have stronger love for their pets than for family members. In divorce cases, custody of a pet is at times awarded as part of the settlement in property disputes. And people have named pets in their last will and testament as beneficiaries of fabulous wealth.

Devotion to Pets

The remarkable loyalty of animals actually causes some people to have stronger love for their pets than for family members. In divorce cases, custody of a pet is at times awarded as part of the settlement in property disputes. And people have named pets in their last will and testament as beneficiaries of fabulous wealth.

No wonder pets are big business today! There are books and magazines that provide advice on every matter relating to pets. Realizing that some pet owners are willing to provide extravagant luxuries for their pets, businesses offer whatever pet owners want.

For example, one may consult highly specialized doctors who treat all manner of ailments affecting pets. There are pet psychiatrists who will prescribe an antidepressant for a pet. In addition, there are pet lawyers and insurance agents as well as pet grooming services and training institutions. Funerals are held for pets. And offers are made to clone pets—all at a price, of course!

Clearly, love of pets is widespread. In her book The Animal Attraction, Dr. Jonica Newby concludes: “When a dog comes running up to us, wagging its tail and licking us as though our coming home was the best thing that had happened to it all day, it seems fair to call it ‘love.’” Surely it is understandable why many pet owners are moved to reciprocate that “love.”

Yet, efforts to humanize a pet can have a detrimental side. After all, a pet cannot fulfill one’s needs the way fellow humans can. Moreover, the urbanization of pets—that is, their adapting to city environments—poses problems for some pets and their owners.

*** g04 2/22 p. 9 Pets—Keep a Balanced View of Them ***

Balanced View a Challenge

Our Creator must be pleased when we take delight in his animal creations and show them loving consideration. Would you agree, then, that it wouldn’t be appropriate to subject animals to cruel treatment? Yet, as a source of entertainment, humans commonly allow animals, such as bulls, dogs, and chickens, to be cruelly abused and killed in fights. Unfortunately, the way people treat animals has not always been with the compassion that God intended.

On the other hand, some people’s concern for pets takes precedence over even more important considerations. In fact, when affection for animals is not controlled by reasonableness, the life of pets can seem even more important than that of humans. As an example, during a fire in one animal hospital, when pet owners gathered outside, some reportedly “tried to break through the cordon, crying that they wanted to die with their darlings.”

Of course, it can be very sad, even tragic, to see a beloved pet die. But even in such a case, there is room for some balance. As noted earlier, animals were not created in God’s image, nor were they meant to live forever, as were humans. Regarding the way God made humans, the Bible says: “He has even put eternity into their minds.” Yet, nothing like this is said of animals.—Ecclesiastes 3:11, Byington.

Thus, the Bible does not say that it is wrong to kill animals—indeed, they are now a common source of food for millions. But what about putting a pet to death—for example, one that is sick and suffering? What a difficult, painful decision that can be! Yet, a pet lover may conclude that doing so in a quick and painless manner is better than providing his loyal animal companion with expensive treatment that merely prolongs its suffering—and may even put a strain on a family’s finances.

*** g80 3/22 pp. 14-15 Pets and People ***

Caring for a Pet

Often pets are acquired suddenly, perhaps through a pet owner’s efforts to pass on unwanted offspring. But as the fluffy little ball of life grows, so do the responsibilities. The Bible, at Proverbs 12:10, comments: “The righteous one is caring for the soul of his domestic animal.” Sometimes that is no small matter.

Expenditures for pets include the cost of food and veterinary treatments. The latter may involve deworming and vaccinations, as well as special services for sickness and accidents.

Time is involved, too. Grooming, washing, feeding, training, exercising and giving care, affection and discipline all take time. Of course, the amount of time varies with the pet and with individuals.

Then there is the responsibility one has to the pet and to other people. For example, dogs desire human companionship and need time spent with them. They also need an enclosure suitable to their size. One authority bemoaned “the number of people in small terrace houses who have Afghans and Great Danes.” If fences are not maintained, dogs can escape, causing destruction of property, dirtying the street and becoming a danger to traffic. At times, noise from pets can annoy neighbors. Exotic pets may be exciting for a while, but often are not suitable to be kept in a house. Both the animal and the owner may suffer.

In modern city life, finding suitable accommodations can be a major problem for pet owners. Also, when a person travels, providing care for his pet can be difficult or expensive.

Stray dogs and cats, often from families where the pet is not cared for, are major problems in many cities. In Australia (population 14 million) about 50,000 stray or unwanted dogs, and far more cats, are put to death each year. Hence, many cat and dog owners have their pets desexed if they do not intend to breed them. This also discourages the animals, particularly the males, from wandering away.

Diseases from Pets to People

Diseases can occasionally be transmitted from pets to people, sometimes with serious consequences. If reasonable precautions are taken, there is no need to fear. However, it is wise to know something about the more common diseases.

Rabies is a serious problem in some parts of the world. In areas where rabies is prevalent, it is customary to vaccinate pets against it.

Toxascaris, a parasitic roundworm disease found commonly in dogs and cats, has been receiving increased attention in Australia since a child was recently blinded by it. Pets in city areas are more often infected, with puppies being the worst offenders.

Large numbers of worm eggs are passed in the pets’ feces (droppings). Being sticky, they adhere to the animals’ fur as well as to carpets, lawns or toys. From there they can be transferred to the mouth by way of unwashed hands. If accidentally eaten, immature worms from the eggs migrate to the liver, nervous system and brain.

Even if one does not own a pet, it is important to know of these dangers. The eggs can survive in the ground for years. In a recent British survey, they were found in the soil of many parks and playgrounds.

Tapeworms (hydatid disease) can be passed on similarly. Skin diseases can be transmitted directly (such as ringworms) or by way of mites.

Caged birds, including parrots, pigeons and poultry, may harbor psittacosis (ornithosis). Even when they appear to be healthy, this can cause influenza and pneumonia. It is promoted by overcrowding and artificial conditions and can be transmitted by inhaling dust containing dried bird droppings or by contact with a sick or a dead bird.

By following common-sense hygiene, pets will be kept in their rightful place. They will still be a great source of enjoyment, but not a threat to your family’s health.

Having a Balanced Viewpoint

For many people, caring for a pet is a precious part of their lives. The pet’s affection and loyalty, individual traits and ability to react to its owner bring much pleasure.

Others find that their circumstances, desires or way of life restrict the time or facilities that they could provide, and so they decide against obtaining or keeping a pet.

Yes, pets can certainly bring much joy to man. But it is good to keep a balanced viewpoint of them, because pets can never replace or equal good relationships with other people.

• TG-Jasper
    TG-Jasper

The CO at my mother's pioneer school about 20 years ago definitely seemed to have regard for pets.

He told the school that if any of them had left a pet chained up or without the food, water and shelter it needed, then they had no business being at the pioneer school.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Thanks for posting this. I know a few JWs who devote way too much of their time and money to animals.

My pets cost me about $60 a month. That could be $60 a month more to the donation arrangement!

• Magnum
    Magnum

This is a subject that can infuriate me. I have many animals, but I don't consider them pets. They were all homeless orphans who would have suffered immensely had I or my wife not rescued them. They are like family members to us, and we don't give a damn what JWs or any others think about it. It's true.

JWs have told me that all animals want from us is food. I know from vast experience that that is not true. There have been occasions when some were sick and I couldn't force them to eat, yet they would still want to curl up in my lap or sleep on my chest. They have been and are precious creatures to us. I cannot stand to refrain from helping one when I have the power and means to do so.

Some years ago, I saw a brown bag in the grass on the roadside and a kitten on its side by the bag. I figured somebody had put it out there. It looked dead, but I stopped to verify. It was; it was stiff and its eyes had been partially eaten by insects. I scanned around to make sure there weren't more of them, and I saw another where the grass met the woods. It was lying on its left side with all four legs sticking straight out. It was solid black and its fur was covered with white fly eggs that stood out against the black fur. The eggs would have hatched into maggots. There were ants streaming in its mouth and eyes. Figuring it was dead, I lightly kicked its back to make sure. To my sheer horror, its right front paw slightly curled; it was still alilve, but barely. I scooped it up and rushed home as fast as I could. To make a long story short, with much effort, I was able to revive him (found out was a boy), and he became a precious addition to our clan. Now, what the hell was I supposed to do - leave him there to be eaten alive by ants?

Having animals has put a lot of burden on me and my wife. We have actually prayed to Jah to keep us from finding more animals in need of homes or help, but he hasn't answered. We have never actively gone out and tried to acquire animals for pets even though we see nothing wrong with that at all. Why doesn't Jah take care of the animals that he supposedly created so I won't see them homeless and starving and be moved to take them home? Jesus indicated that he does take care of them (Mt 6:26), but I don't see it.

The org, to me , is cold, heartless, & cruel. JW higher-ups seem to view animals as objects that have no feelings. Well, if they do view them that way, they're wrong. Animals do have feelings. They can feel physical and emotional pain. They can be happy or sad. They can be depressed.

The org is in a position to do a lot to alleviate some of the animal suffering in the world, but it coudn't care less about it.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

When I was a teen, I was telling the car group a story about my beloved cat. The obnoxious elder who was driving turned around and told me, that cat doesn't really love you. In the great tribulation, it would eat your flesh off your bones if it got hungry. I was devastated. Then I thought about it, how I just did not believe that, and I hated that guy from that day on. Unbelievable.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

How about this response... tell then what Mel Gibson says..:

"You must march before my people and kiss your own aRse....(More or less)

• HeyThere
  • snare&racket
    snare&racket

sure it wasn't an ignorant slight at evolution? That was my assumption based on the thread title.

• kaik
    kaik

My pets are my family member. I talk to my bengal kitty like he can understand me. I see them as part of my life. We had a cat that died after 18 years. Last time I was so sad was when my biological father passed away. I miss him even with my addiction. My cat is there when I walk to home, he welcomes me and stands on his back paws on the windows and wiggling his tail. He follows me around the house. He shows me a love and affection, something I have NEVER experienced among my KH members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit