How Accurate Is JWN In Your Opinion?

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

JK, hubby is fading. I have never met a man so good at lying. When he meets Witnesses out and about he can say enough to fool them in to believing he is one of their own. Remember, this is the guy who hid our marriage for months. Besides, he still likes the literature. Look at all the pretty pictures.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Your hubby sounds like an interesting person =)

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i think everyone tries to be as accurate as they can.

occasionally i make a grammatical error or something.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Unfortunately I see a strong bias towards finding fault with the Society, to the extent that information or standards will get bent a little in the rush to find something new to condemn the WT over. Typical examples would be taking hearsay as fact as long as it puts the Watchtower in a bad light, and holding the Society to a double standard. Even the attempts at humor often come across as manifestations of obsessive bitterness. I know some have said that they're rightfully bitter since the Society has taken so much from them, but seriously, sometimes I want to say, "Get a life, guys."

The constant negativity ("Hey, look at this extremely minor thing the Society did, let's find ways that it's awful") tends to drive me away for periods of time, especially since I am still in the process of exiting and have to put with the meetings and assemblies for the time being. (Plus, not having the time to keep up with the threads gets frustrating, so then I stop reading them at all).

I often see dubious arguments against the religion and debate whether I should act the apologist in order to get things a little closer to the truth. These days I usually don't bother, but I know that if the "me" of a few years ago were reading threads here, I would be mentally debunking one thing after another and would not come away convinced.

Once in a while the forum makes me proud by exercising skepticism about a negative report on the WT, or by rejecting the more outlandish apostate stunts. If I hadn't seen any posters here who cared about the facts, I wouldn't have joined in the first place. But I suppose the board largely serves as a soapbox for ex-members. The best place for solid facts is a carefully-prepared web site, like jwfacts.com.

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

I will say some information can be and others not. Certainly there are a lot of biases. But it's always good to cross check the information and view other sources or original when possible to be on the safe side. The older threads provide a lot of information, good ones to look at about doctrines and history.

• minimus
    minimus

most of the watchtower info that gets leaked out is pretty accurate. But at times, I wonder whether or not misinformation is purposely put out here.

• JeffT
    JeffT

JWN is not an organized entity for disseminating information like say, a school or The New York Times. It's a collection of people who like to talk about a common interest. Individuals bring varying levels of knowledge to the table. We also have our own experiences and consequently our own point of view on whatever subject we're talking about.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

There is some accuracy and there is a lot of opinion and personal perception.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

I find that my negative experiences and thoughts re the WT are validated by so many posters it,s refreshing I am not alone We can,t all be wrong with our independant thinking

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Accuracy is the product of fact-checking, proper evidence, and not based on hearsay. Simple as that.
    So I wouldn't claim accuracy here because there is way too much emotion involved, and opinion rules.

However, the volume of comments points to an accurate overall feeling of being used and controlled.
    So the main ambiance here can be said to be an accurate depiction of what's happening within this cult.

My favorite quote of all times is Bertrand Russell's:
    "Either the thing is true, or it isn't. If it is true, you should believe it, and if it isn't, you shouldn't. And if you can't find out whether it's true or whether it isn't, you should suspend judgment."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit