Poor Animals

by HeyThere 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yep, try this weeks reading!

leviticus 14

5 The priest will command that the one bird be killed in an earthenware vessel over running water. 6 But he should take the living bird along with the cedarwood, the scarlet material, and the hyssop, and dip them together in the blood of the bird that was killed over the running water.7 Then he will spatter it seven times on the one cleansing himself from the leprosy and declare him clean, and he will set the living bird free in the open field.

seriously, how sad for one bird, and how "happy" would the other one be?

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Smiddy I was not asking for suggestions or your sorry ASS rudeness! I have been on this forum way before Simon took over and it is obvious you got a stick up your ass. It obvious about women on the forum! For one second you were polite!

Your just rude and it is a wonder Simon has not put a stop to your bull shit!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Sarah, I can't see how smiddy was in anyway rude. He suggested you learn to use a serach engine, to do some research. Your response makes you look like an insecure, ignoranmus.

How could you have been on this forum before "Simon took over"? It is his forum.

• donny
    donny

The more I read the Bible without any filters the more obvious it was to me that its author was not a being of the most high order. It is simply the musings and tales of a bronzed aged people who were trying to make sense of the world at that time and it was used to maintain order.

I am reminded of the shirt on http://dogmadebate.com/ with David Smalley. It reads "I am an atheist because I have read it."

Donny

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

There are a lot of Topics to cover, but what do you guys think about these Verses on God's View Point of Animal Sacrifice?

Jeremiah 7:22 " For in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, I did not speak to your fathers or command them concerning burnt offerings and sacrifices."

Psalm 40:6 " Sacrifice and offering you did not desire-- but my ears you have opened -- burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require."

1 Samuel 15:22 " But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams."

Psalm 51:16 " You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings."

Isaiah 1:11 " "The multitude of your sacrifices-- what are they to me?" says the LORD. "I have more than enough of burnt offerings, of rams and the fat of fattened animals; I have no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats."

So Which is it? Does God Delight in Sacrifice, or Does Man?

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Hey Sarah an dObjective truth,

If I am being honest, I find myself leaning further and further away from the bible being anything other than an ancient peoples record of events told from their perspective. Is there good in it? Sure. I have no problem with Jesus. However, there are too many perfectly logical questions without answers....and because I no longer have a personal stake in believing anything in particular....I usually just use my brain.

That leads me to believe most of these accounts are nonsense, or have nothing to do with God.

As far as prophecy is concerned. There are a couple I need to look further into. I need to decide on the evidence for and against Danile being a book written after the fact. Job speaks of the earth round, the bible discusses the water cycle in ancient terms, and the instructions given to isrealites do show knowledge of bacteria and an understanding of the human body. (your body produces blood clotting factor (K), the same day a child was supposed to be circumcised).

So those are things that are worth answers. Of course......why did God create a dick with skin on it, if he just wanted it cut off?

Sooooooo yeah. There are alot of cons, and a few pros.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Problemaddict -

There was a thread a while back where someone explained the "circle of the earth" in job in it's historical context. Even without that, would it discredit the bible if job had said "all the nations of the earth lay flat before him" or would that just be interpreted as figurative? Any errors in the bible are always figurative, and any lucky guesses are always highlighted.

The bit about the water cycle always bothered me when it was offered up as evidence of the bible's scientific accuracy. It shows no real understanding of how it works, and actually sounds to me more like someone making an argument that god has to intervene to keep things going. It doesn't show any understanding of the mechanism behind evaporation and rain. It is, at best, a lucky guess, and at worst an example of the bible writers improperly attempting to prove that god exists to explain natural phenomena that requires no intervention.

Once you start cutting off part of every kid's dick, it probably doesn't take too long to figure out that waiting till the 8th day resulted in fewer deaths.

Same with bacteria. It just takes one person in a good position to make an observation that people who took a dump near their food got sick more often. There's nothing that shows they understood bacteria, just that they made some pretty basic observations and got lucky.

No one makes much of the unscientific bits in the bible. They just point out the few times they got things right (or something can be construed as being right)

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

from, "The Atheist's Book of Bible Stories":

SOLOMON, AND THE ISRAELITE ABATTOIR King Solomon was a very devout man. He also liked to do things in big ways. Take, for example, the sacrifice that he offered up during a festival:
    “Then the King and all the people offered sacrifice before the LORD. King Solomon offered as a sacrifice twenty-two thousand oxen and a hundred and twenty thousand sheep.” - 2 Chronicles 7:4,5

Now, let’s pause for a moment and let these numbers sink in. According to verse 9, this festival lasted seven days. That means that one animal was killed every 4.3 seconds, day and night, for a week.
    Let’s look at it another way. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, an adult sheep would weigh between 80 and 400 pounds. Let’s take an average size of 200 pounds. Oxen come it at around 900 pounds. This means that Solomon slaughtered 43.8 million pounds of animals.
    This would be a pretty big pile of animal. If the animal carcasses were stacked, with no wasted space, it would make a pile of 3.9 million cubic feet, or, a pile 5 feet high, covering 18 acres.
    And what did he do with this meat? Well according to verse 7, he tried to put it on the alter, along with a cereal grain offering.
    “For there he offered the burnt offering and the fat of the peace offerings, because the bronze alter Solomon had made could not hold the burnt offering and the cereal offering and the fat.” - 2 Chronicles 7:7
    Talk about an understatement. I could picture Solomon, looking at that mountain of meat, and saying to his attendant, “Gee, do you think that’s too much to put on the alter?”
    The sheer volume of meat involved is enough to convince anyone that this passage is grossly exaggerated. I will not even attempt to calculate the economic impact of this slaughter on a relatively poor group of desert farmers.

• defender of truth
  • smiddy
    smiddy

AndDontCallMeShirley

And lets not forget how much blood an oxen has , or for that matter how much blood a sheep has , twenty two thousand oxen ? and a hundred and and twenty thousand sheep ? Isnt this an example of the blood of innocensce ( animals ) being shed here ? and by whom ?

my conservative estimate is you would be looking at about 900 , 000 litres of blood spilled over that period of time .

No running water as we have it today at our disposal , no refrigeration of course , yet thats no problem to gullible people , jehovah is God he can solve that problem . Yet we in the real world know who is hoodwinking who.

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit