watchtowers army assault on our vulnerable elderly in nursing homes

by friendaroonie 48 Replies latest jw friends

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

^^ Please see the template for a letter on page 2 if you want to do something.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

"DATA-DOG posted 3 days ago(6/20/2014) Post 5361 of 5382 Joined 6/21/2012 I agree that an appropriately worded letter would be a great idea. The directors of activities at various nursing homes deserve the opportunity to examine the facts about the ORG. " Funny how you thought it was a good idea, yet when I posted an entire letter, you didn't comment, even when I pm'd you to let you know. I've learnt a lot from these threads

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Dude, what's your problem? Get off your high horse.

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

He agreed that someone should write a letter. I typed my letter out on a crappy old phone and posted it to help others. I then even sent a pm to let him know I had done as had been suggested. I have had no response, either in the thread or by pm. Maybe it's my upbringing or culture, but to me it is the height of rudeness to completely ignore someone. I'd rather be told 'look mate, your letter stinks, your idea stinks, but thanks anyway'. That I can deal with.He's been posting on JWN plently since then, it's not as though he has not been active. And don't tell me to get off my high horse, who do you think you are? Only 3 days ago, he and one or two other people (I've pm'ed all of them) sounded motivated and ready to do something about an issue they were concerned. Now, when I suggest something solid that might make a difference, it's *crickets*. There are many empty words spoken on this forum, that is what I have learnt. This threads done anyway.

• flipper
    flipper

DEFENDER of TRUTH- I admire what you are doing. Don't let any naysayers keep you from doing what you feel is right. Follow your own sense of right and wrong. We aren't in JW congregations anymore so we can each do whatever we feel is right to assist older people in these circumstances.

My 87 year old JW mom IS in an assisted living facility and my wife and I just spent this weekend visiting her all day. She lives 4 hours away and believe it or not lives in a facility that is managed by a JW lady. Some of the workers there are JW's and a couple fellow residents too ( there are 18 residents total and 9 on call nurses available in a home environment, but the facility is owned by NON-JW'S. )

Fortunately for my mom- she doesn't care if she's missed 4 months of meetings ! She seems happy just reading her non-JW books. I performed some of my songs for about an hour and a half in frot of 8 or 9 of her oldercare facility residents in the living room area and they loved the music ! I included songs about freedom of mind " Sweet is the Freedom " and also " River of Time " both two of my songs which talk about how important freedom is and living in the here and now. Also sang some songs about injustices to Native Americans and lots of " worldly " songs . The old folks loved it and clapped and stomped their asses off ! Including my mom !

So- Point I'm making is we can all make a difference in our own way. The way I choose is to keep all of these older folks distracted and engaged by singing songs about reality in order to focus on the real life- not the pretend fake life JW's try cramming down their throats. The old folks love entertainment a lot better than having a dry WT study ! LOL ! Keep up the great work Defender of Truth, whatever will help these folks not get influenced by the WT and JW's- continue doing that ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Thanks Flipper, it's really nice to hear about such proactive ways of helping the elderly, at least while they're laughing they are not just sat there vegitating. I need a stiff whiskey after going into some nursing homes, I find them more depressing than funerals or cemetaries, the level of care is sickening at times.. Anywho, cheers for the encouragement;)

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

This is the instructions from the KM, minus the scriptures and the 'encouraging results' crapola at the end. I've typed it all out on a phone, I hope somebody finds this interesting..

1 Although elderly can be forgetful and immobile, we still need to reach them (approx.)
    Now word for word..
    2 Getting started: Usually a list of nursing-care facilities can be compiled by searching the local telephone directory. Check categories such as "nursing homes", "group homes" and "residential-care" facilities. The service overseer can take the lead in arranging for qualified publishers to visit each facility. With good planning and reliance on Jehovah, it is often possible to start a group Bible study.

3 The manner in which the study is introduced depends on the type of facility. In large facilities with many residents and staff members, it is best to approach the receptionist and ask to speak to the director of activities. In small group homes for seniors-homes with a few residents and two or three caregivers- it may be best to schedule a time to speak directly with the owner of the home.

4 In either situation, explain that you are volunteering your time to encourage individuals who enjoy reading and discussing Bible accounts. Ask if there are any residents who might like to participate in a group Bible discussion for about 30 minutes a week. A variety of publications can be used, but many find that My Book of Bible Stories and The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived are well received. You may wish to show the publications to the director. The day, time and meeting room location can be worked out with him or her and will typically be posted on an activities calendar in the nursing home. Do not shy away from identifying yourself as one of Jehovahs Witnesses. At the same time, help the director to understand that you would not be coming to conduct a religious service but, rather, to promote Bible education.

5 Conducting the Study: How you conduct the study depends on the circumstances and environment at the facility, so be flexible and discerning. The conductor should bring several copies of the publication being considered and should collect them at the end of the study. It may be necessary to bring enlarged copies of the material for some. Paragraphs canbe read, questions can be asked, and responses can be given in our usual manner. Those willing and capable may be invited to read the paragraphs or Bible passages. During the study, be engaging, positive and friendly. With the permission of the director, you can occasionally show one of the organisations videos that builds faith in the Bible or highlights lessons from a particular Bible account. It may be possible to open and close the study with a simple prayer. Some publishers have even introduced Kingdom songs.

6 What if a resident objects to something that is read or stated during the study? Use discernment when you reply. Perhaps you can share a brief Bible text that clearly addresses his concern. If it is not practical for you to do so, then it would be best to acknowledge his comment and offer to consider the matter with him seperately after the study.

7 On occasion a resident may ask a question or express a desire to learn more. One sister uses this approach: "That's a very good question. But since that is your personal question, let's wait until the end of our reading. Then you and I can discuss it together." It is often possible to arrange to conduct a personal Bible study with interested ones at another time and in a different setting.

The rest basically says how to count time, and to be commited, friendly, remember their names, show kindness and respect to staff and family. Explain the purpose of the study to them. Reassure them of your sincere interest in their family member. Invite them to sit in and listen to the study.

The bullet points at the end say:

.Check in with the receptionist and director of activities when you arrive for the session.

.Bring enough copies of the publication for the group. Collect them following the study.

.Be relaxed, friendly and outgoing. Remember the residents names.

.Read and discuss one paragraph at a time.

.Use short questions. Warmly commend all for their comments.

.Defer doctrinal or controversial questions to a time and setting where they can be considered privately with the inquirer.

.Answer questions from family and staff in a simple and direct manner.

.Take advantage of opportunities to start Bible studies with residents, relatives, and staff.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“defender of truth”: “. . . it would be best to acknowledge his comment and offer to consider the matter with him seperately after the study.” “But since that is your personal question, let's wait until the end of our reading. Then you and I can discuss it together." It is often possible to arrange to conduct a personal Bible study with interested ones at another time and in a different setting.”

This is obviously a policy to discourage any kind of consideration of any information or opinions outside of the Watchtower Organization’s own unique curriculum. Also, conducting Bible studies separately one-on-one in isolation from the rest is to prevent the subject (student) from being able to compare their reaction to some else’s. (It’s similar to when people in a group of suspects are separated when being interviewed by a police detective.) Nothing like personalized attention to effect the process of brainwashing (indoctrination).

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Exactly. That is why they are entering very dangerous territory to me, get the elderly on their own and brainwash them once they are isolated from the group. But nobody else seems to care. Please see the letter I wrote on page 2 if you want to act, but thanks for acknowledging my concern anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit