Disfellowshipping - The 10 year rule?

by Gembean 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gembean
    Gembean

Is it true there is a 10 year rule? I was reading on here when I saw someone quote it? I've never heard of it before!

I'll introduce myself & post my story later but this is of great interest to me.

Thanks!

• happy@last
    happy@last

Welcome. I've never heard of it either.

• sir82
    sir82

Never heard of it.

Do you mean to imply that if the sin occurred 10+ years ago you aren't DF'ed?

Or if you were DF'ed 10+ years ago you get reinstated easier?

Or something else entirely?

• tunnistaja.ee
    tunnistaja.ee

You mean that after 10 years one can start from a clean page and become a Jw again, without reinstatement?

There's no such rule and if there was, it would not matter anyways, as this would only go for those who still appear brainwashed. No apostate can go back just to wreck the system from within.

• Thor
    Thor

Hi Gembean!

Sorry don't know anything about the 10 year rule, but Welcome anyway!!

Love, Mrs. Thor

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Not sure about the 10 Year Rule but there is a One Towel Rule.

Rub a Dub

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Do you mean to imply that if the sin occurred 10+ years ago you aren't DF'ed?

Or if you were DF'ed 10+ years ago you get reinstated easier?

Or something else entirely?

I've never heard of a 10-year rule either.

Closest thing that comes to mind is that in the past, the rule for maintaining Publisher Record Cards was 8-years. Anything older than that was destroyed, so eventually an inactive publisher would be come a non-witness (or at least no official record of them in a congregation any longer).

That has changed to where the Cong in which you last reported time will maintain your PRC indefinitely.

"You can check out, but you can never leave."

This allows them the option to DF you anytime in the future if you cause enough problems.

Doc

• Gembean
    Gembean

Thank you for the welcome!

There was a lady (jgnat I think) that said something about a 10 year threat and that someone had been disfellowshipped for over 10 years, so was free to talk to whom he wanted?

Totally surprised me to read that!

• Zoos
    Zoos

Welcome Gembean!

I don't think it's a rule, but...

My sister was baptized, fell away and got all tangled up in drugs and alcohol, had a couple of kids from different guys, basically just fell apart. She was out for at least fifteen years and when she went back they just treated her like she was a new study. They acknowledged that all her "partying" was years past (as she is married now) and decided not to disfellowship.

Again, I don't think that's standard but apparently it does happen.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

DFing is a life sentence, no matter the crime.

Sure you may get a few crumbs thrown your way by those who are willing to break Mama's rules now and then, but the WT does not lift any DFing without groveling at the feet of the local elduhs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit