Disfellowshipping - The 10 year rule?

by Gembean 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Here you go:

>>Those who have received the forgiveness of their Father and who have humbly proved themselves to be good slaves after returning from their unclean, disfellowshiped condition may in time even prove to be suitable stewards in their Father’s household. Over an extensive period of time they live down the blotch of reproach that they have brought on their personal record, with bad impressions also upon people on the outside. If, because of the blameless conduct of one since his reinstatement, the congregation has come to view him as a good example, then if such a person, who was at one time disfellowshiped but has now returned and shown humility, proved his love for Jehovah’s Word and work for TEN YEARS after reinstatement, it would be in harmony with the parable of the prodigal son if such one were used as a congregation book study conductor and allowed to give public talks. Later, he may even be privileged to serve in a greater capacity in Jehovah’s organization.<<

Wt 8-15-65

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

I've been away about 15 years now and some (very few) treat me like a non-believer. They talk to me and are quite nice. They have even requested me as friends on facebook. Some that used to talk to me have stopped not even acknowledging me. Some only talk to me when no elders are around.

My sister I guess follows this logic. She said it has been so long since I've been away it would be okay for me to come to some witness gatherings she hosts. My brother though doesn't see it this way at all. Just depends.

• Quendi
    Quendi

You have to love the way the WTS twists Scripture (being "untaught and unsteady" as the Apostle Peter wrote) for its own ends. Where in the parable of the Prodigal Son did Jesus state that it was only after ten years that complete and unconditional forgiveness was extended to him by his Father? It doesn't state that anywhere! Nevertheless, the WTS decided to add its own protocol to the Bible to justify its own harsh and unloving ways.

Of course, the excerpt tim hooper unearthed was written nearly fifty years ago before the elder arrangement went into effect. Matters are probably viewed completely differently nowadays. Even so, we can see that love and mercy are hardly qualities this organization has ever shown toward human weakness, except when it comes to its own. Then, when it makes serious mistakes or egregious errors, the leadership expects the rank-and-file to swallow its doubts and carry on as if nothing had happened. Hypocrites!

Quendi

• Earnest
    Earnest

This is also mentioned in Chapter 6 of the 1967 publication Your Word is a Lamp to My Foot, pp.120, 121, where it says :

However, it may be that many years ago a brother engaged in unchristian conduct and was disfellowshiped but has now been reinstated. Is he barred forever from being an appointed servant? Not necessarily. If he repented and has been reinstated for at least ten years, and now manifests proper Christian humility and a strong appreciation of Jehovah's view of the matter in which he formerly erred, and is now viewed by others as a good example to the flock of God, he might be recommended for some service privilege.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Just for clarity, the Shepherd book rule applies to SERVING elders only.

So, if a serving elder commits fornication, he needs to hide it for 3 years.

If, during those 3 years, he obviously has Jehovah's blessing (??? - extra zeal for the Corp.), and is then repentant, he need not be removed.

No such provision for rank and file (watch Marc and Cora's video).

• Gembean
    Gembean

This sums it up well:

You have to love the way the WTS twists Scripture (being "untaught and unsteady" as the Apostle Peter wrote) for its own ends. Where in the parable of the Prodigal Son did Jesus state that it was only after ten years that complete and unconditional forgiveness was extended to him by his Father? It doesn't state that anywhere! Nevertheless, the WTS decided to add its own protocol to the Bible to justify its own harsh and unloving ways. ~ Quendi

I have to wait 24 hours since my last created topic to create a new one, so I guess my story will be delayed.

I suppose I will be trying for a annulment of baptism then despite how often they fail.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

So that's it? Something written in the Lamp book, back in the 60's? We were also told that we shouldn't dance the twist back then, but, now we twist and shout every wedding we are invited to. If anyone mentions the Lamp Book today in an Elders meeting, he'd be laughed outside the room.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am aware of a few situations where a df individual floated back into the organization and were welcomed with opened arms.

The key is to cover your trail. But the question is WHY?

• Gembean
    Gembean

Cover my trail?

Do you think my 10 year old daughter would be a give away? lol

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Gem - new congregration and it doesn't matter. I think it is pretty easy to start a new life in jw land. But the question is - Why?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit