Disfellowshipping - The 10 year rule?

by Gembean 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Well, let's hear more about this

• Quendi
    Quendi

LostGeneration is entirely right about disfellowshipping being a life sentence. One outstanding case-in-point is the late Mickey Spillane, who gained fame during the 1950s and 60s as a mystery novelist. He was also a Witness, but was disfellowshipped. I don't know the reason for the action. Anyway, Spillane stayed out for more than thirty years but shortly before he died he was reinstated. He was not treated as a "new study", although I have heard of a few who did get that treatment. Rather, he was required to appear before a judicial committee and sue for pardon and reinstatement. Never mind that likely, the elders (or in his case the congregation servant, assistant servant and secretary) who made up his original committee were long dead. He had to jump through the fiery hoops anyway. Just one more reason to leave this organization behind.

Quendi

• Lynnie
    Lynnie

Yes I'm sure it does happen and it depends on who you are and who your family is.

My cousin left home at 15 lived with several different men and then when she turned 30

and her grandma died (uber JW) she decided to "study" again. Her dad is an uber elder

and she is getting showered with "love bombs". How long do people get to study before they are

told they need to "progress"? She been studying for over 2 years now and enjoying

all the social aspects the JW's have to offer. Still has lots of worldly friends too that she is

always going to music venues with.

• Laika
    Laika

After 10 years it really should be time to move on, but lots of JWs still don't see it that way.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

I had heard something where if an elder said he did something in the past that he never came out with at the time but it was more than ten years ago that no action would be taken. He could remain an elder. I could be totally wrong about this though.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hey rubadub

What is the 'one towel rule' you often mention?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

In the Shepherd the Flock of God book (secret JW Elder's manual) there is a statement to the effect that if a person committed a serious sin many years ago and it was never dealt with the elders could basically just ignore it now.

I don't have a copy of that book on my computer or I'd look up the reference, but it would be in the section under serious sins (Read: Disfellowshipping offenses) and/or under "Forming a Judicial Committee."

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Got it:

If it comes to light or an appointed brother confesses that he has committed a disfellowshipping offense years in the past: The body of elders may determine he can continue to serve if the following is true: The immorality or other serious wrongdoing occurred more than a few years ago, and he is genuinely repentant, recognizing that he should have come forward immediately when he sinned. (Perhaps he has even confessed to his sin, seeking help with his guilty conscience.) He has been serving faithfully for many years, has evidence of God's blessing, and has the respect of the congregation. - Shepherd The Flock Of God (2010), p. 38, para. 19 - [Bold in original, italics and underlining added]

Note, it just says "years in the past." No specific length of time is mentioned.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

There WAS a 10 year rule. If you'd been DF'd, leastways up until around 1962 /1963, you were permanently banned from ever holding a ministerial position - FOR EVER!

However, because of Great Loving Kindness, persons who'd been spotless for a minimum of 10 after being DF'd, would sometimes be allowed to become an MS. This came in around the mid 60's.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

I was df'd in '77 (37 years ago). Two sons continue to shun me. One of them has 3 children, oldest 24, whom I have never met.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit