If a Nuclear War Was to Start would you start praying again

by cassuk11 79 Replies latest watchtower bible

• eva luna
    eva luna

No.

I would paint my nails red to match my dress and favoite Italian wine.

and listen to Frank sing Bosa Nova.

Sorry ..tall and burnt and old and lovely the girl from Ipanema

• DJS
    DJS

I was trying to ignore this OP, but the OPer is annoying and the OP won't go away. So here goes.

Your premise is that there are no real atheists. I get it. It's the old axiom that there are no atheists in fox holes. That's all BS, don't you know? A few years out of the Borg my son almost died in my arms. It didn't dawn on me until about 3 weeks afterward (he spent a few days in the hospital but recovered) that, not only did I not pray, the thought of praying, while he was unconscious and in my arms, never entered my mind. I love my son more than life and he is stupid crazy close to me. If I wouldn't pray then, I certainly wouldn't pray if global thermonuclear war broke out.

I really don't know why this OP has lasted so long. I try to ignore the self appointed governing body and the itinerant preachers who pop in from time to time to save me and the rest of us heathens. The IPs and the new GB nauseate me. If I did pray it would be that you and your kind would go away.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

If I don't believe in God, then why would I pray to him for any reason, even if a nuclear war, even if a major earthquake, even if aliens landed to enslave us and take over the planet, or any other "even if" situation you can think of.

I guess you are going on the theory that there are no Athiests in the foxhole? There might be some that would try to hedge their bets to make a last minute plea, but I don't see the point. If God existed, then why would he do anything for you if you spent your whole life doing as you pleased, then tried to make a deal at last second. Wouldn't it be a slap in the face to people that had faith and served God their whole lives? If God existed, I doubt he would be impressed with deathbed conversions. If God would be happy for you to convert, no matter what the circumstances, then why doesn't he show himself to us so that we would know for a fact that he existed and what he wanted us to do?

And which God do we pray to? To me there is as much proof that Allah exists as there is that Jehovah exists. So if a lapsed Muslim prays to Allah when the nuclear war hits, then would Jehovah save him? Since he was born in the middle east to Muslim parents, that is the only God he knows to pray to. Will he go to hell because he prayed to the wrong God? Or is that close enough? What about a Hindu or Buddist?

It's like you propose a simplistic scenario with only one possible outcome in your mind, you obviously cannot fathom that someone would actually not pray to your particular God, just because there was some emergency.

So, no, I would not pray. I think I would pour a big glass of wine, and sit outside and enjoy the nuclear sunset.

• Heaven
    Heaven

If God exists then he should be able to prevent the war.

• DJS
    DJS

LisaRose,

Cassuk suffers from the same malady as the other hard core theists and preachers; he can't see anything but straight lines and he can't think in any manner other than black and white. That was a feature of our time in the Borg. Most of us have moved beyond it. Perry and the other members of the new GB clearly haven't, iin addition to the intinerant preachers like Cassuk, ncluding thier use of highly charged, pejorative, archaic words to describe normal behavior. What he calls 'fornication' I call fun. What he and Holmes call sodomy I call negotiation. Their use of such words annoys me. They were written by narrow minded holier than thou old men thousands of years ago. Let's move on, please. LR, your posts are always spot on. Thanks.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

@ DJS: he can't see anything but straight lines and he can't think in any manner other than black and white

Which is why he simply ignored the answers I was asking him to give. The question was simple, the answer probably simpler. But this is what happens when a theist has to actually explain his beliefs- suddenly he realizes, a) he's got no answer at all (because he's never thought about his beliefs on anything but a naively childish level before) or, b) his answer will make no sense to anyone with even two functioning brain cells.

So, his only alternative is to ignore the question altogether, fake being offended, then question to character and motives of the person who had the audacity to ask him to explain why he holds the beliefs he does.

• blondie
    blondie

Does the WTS teach that prayer leads to individual protection? Does the Bible? No.

*** w08 9/15 p. 9 par. 8 Jehovah Is “the Provider of Escape” for Us ***

As individuals, we know that our immediate physical protection is not guaranteed. We take the position expressed by the three faithful Hebrews who refused to bow down to King Nebuchadnezzar’s image of gold. Those God-fearing young men did not presume that Jehovah would miraculously protect them from physical harm. (Read Daniel 3:17, 18.) As matters turned out, Jehovah did deliver them from the flames of the fiery furnace. (Dan. 3:21-27) Even in Bible times, however, miraculous deliverance was the exception rather than the rule. Many faithful servants of Jehovah died at the hands of opposers.—Heb. 11:35-37.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

For some reason it makes me think of Dr. Strangelove, and Slim Pickens riding the bomb like a bucking Bronco with his hat in his hand.

Yeehaw!!

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

good comments. Keep sseking knocking and asking

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

If the bomb exploded 2 feet away from me, and I walked away unscathed, I might consider it. Otherwise, no.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit