Matthew Powner- Advanced research on the Origin of life. How credible is he?

by KateWild 113 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

A catalyst that is automated like this is evidence for me that probably a Creator is involved

What all the other millions of catalysts? Its bucket chemistry as Saoi demonstrated.

You might as well say that rainbows prove god.

• snowbird
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Thanks for the links, I'll have to look it over.

You may well be right that people are born with strong predisposition to believe in god or not. There's a reasonable amount of evidence to show that people are at least somewhat hard-wired to believe in one way or another. It certainly could have been the case for me, my parents did absolutely everything they could to indoctrinate me with belief in god, yet by the time I was in my early teens and developing critical thinking skills, I'd already begun to have strong doubts and generate alternative (and invariably more palatable) alternatives to explaining something with "god did it."

Though, it's entirely possible that, in my case, this was more because of a strong inclination to play devil's advocate, especially whenever I detect a fallacious argument. It may have been just that the arguments made for the existence of the WT god were so rediculous that I dismissed his existence. Being that that's the only god I've ever known, it was easy to leap from that to dismissing the existence of god entirely. I don't know...

Anyways, I completely accept the possibility that god is there as it would litterally never be possible to completely disprove the idea of god (shoot, try disproving that god didn't creat the universe with all of us in it complete with false memories just 2 seconds ago) but I think it's fairly easy to arrive at the conclusion that if god exists, he's likely either disinterested or a total dick. Either way, it's practically the same as no god, since I'm not inclined to worship either of those options.

There's a program (not sure if it's made it across the pond or not, but I'd assume it has) called "Through the wormhole" (narrated by morgan freeman) that's discussed some of these topics that you might find interesting. Of course it keeps things at a relatively high level, but it definitely goes more in depth than most anything else on TV. Topics discussed are pretty varied, but there's been a few episodes on the origin of life, evolution, god, etc.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I must be one of those with a strong predisposition to believe in a Creator.

• Viviane
    Viviane

A catalyst that is automated like this is evidence for me that probably a Creator is involved, that's why I draw a different conclusion to you, but I still cannot prove fully that there is a God.

Why probably and why evidence? Connect the dots from premise to conclusion...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"I have come to the conclusion that science cannot prove or disprove the existence of God" ....Kate

Then you have come to the wrong conclusion.

" It's obviously impossible to prove that god doesn't exist." One eyed Joe.

No it is not, this old canard is often repeated on here, give it a rest fellers, the job has been done.

I know y'all are going to challenge me on the above, but do your homework first. I have done mine and will quote impeccable sources if you really are too lazy to do your own research, which amounts to the old JW attitude of, "well I believe this regardless."

• cofty
    cofty

I agree that the existence of any particular god can be disproven.

The problem is in getting believers to define their god.

• cofty
    cofty
    Asymmetric autocatalysis and amplification of enantiomeric excess of a chiral molecule

Kenso Soai, Takanori Shibata, Hiroshi Morioka & Kaori Choji

1. Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Science University of Tokyo, Kagurazaka, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162, Japan

THE homochirality of natural amino acids and sugars remains a puzzle for theories of the chemical origin of life. In 1953 Frank proposed a reaction scheme by which a combination of autocatalysis and inhibition in a system of replicating chiral molecules can allow small random fluctuations in an initially racemic mixture to tip the balance to yield almost exclusively one enantiomer. Here we show experimentally that autocatalysis in a chemical reaction can indeed enhance a small initial enantiomeric excess of a chiral molecule. When a 5-pyrimidyl alkanol with a small (2%) enantiomeric excess is treated with diisopropylzinc and pyrimidine-5-car-boxaldehyde, it undergoes an aut ocatalytic reaction to generate more of the alkanol. Because the reaction involves a chiral catalyst generated from the initial alkanol, and because the catalytic step is enantioselective, the enantiomeric excess of the product is enhanced. This process provides a mechanism by which a small initial imbalance in chirality can become overwhelming.

The fulll article costs $32-

• KateWild
    KateWild

You might as well say that rainbows prove god.- cofty

hahaha I was offline and didn't take the bait. Light refraction is very interesting but it's physics not chemistry, and I know less about that. But what I do know I find remarkable and leads me to conclude that likely there is a creator. Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Its bucket chemistry as Saoi demonstrated.-cofty

Specifically how did he demonstrate this? The term "bucket chemistry" is not used in peer reviewed papers mister. But I will play. Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit