What happens after you get the registered letter?

by paul from cleveland 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

My friend's daughter, who was baptized at 14, has decided to leave the Witnesses. She's in her early 20's. She's stopped going to meeting a while ago and moved in with her father who is disfellowshipped. She recently got a registered letter from the elders asking for a meeting. If she ignores the letter, what happens next?

• baltar447
    baltar447

They will DF her in absentia if she fails to respond.

• DNCall
    DNCall

It's always a good idea to respond with the request that her legal counsel be present at the meeting. This will trigger a call from the elders to the legal department and often the elders are advised not to pursue the matter.

• sir82
    sir82

If she signed for it, that will be viewed as "evidence" that she has read the "invitation" to her execution trial judical committee.

If she does not show up, that will be viewed as evidence of "unrepentance" and she will be judged in absentia.

I suppose, technically, they'd have to send another registered letter informing her of their decision (of course, we already know what that decision will be). Then she would have 7 days to appeal.

She would be announced as "no longer a JW" upon the completion of those 7 days.

• sir82
    sir82

It's always a good idea to respond with the request that her legal counsel be present at the meeting.

Guranteed to cause massive hyperventilation among the elders, and a definite call to Bethel legal dept. A reply from a lawyer on letterhead would be even more effective.

It will at the very least buy several weeks or months time, if that is a concern. And it may possibly put the whole matter on indefinite hold.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

I would respond "absolutely! My lawyer and I will be there.....what time?"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

She recently got a registered letter from the elders asking for a meeting.

Can't you just feel the warm, Christian love!

I agree with what DNCall ^^^^^ said. That's her best play, unless she really doesn't care what the elders do.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

My (ex) brother-in-law got a registered letter way back in 1971. He had committed the "dirty" with his new blonde girlfriend, who he did marry after getting rid of my sister. He ignored it, saying that the JW religion means nothing to him. He said, Why should I go to a JC and tell those jerks anything?

So yes, he was DF in absentia.

I called him over 10 years ago about some family matters. He mentioned to me about Beth Sarim. I knew a tiny bit about it, but I wished he had told me more, or reminded me more about the ridiculousness about it. He just said, You know about Beth Sarim don't you? I said yes. End of conversation.

He called his ex, my sister, or else he talked to his son, my nephew and told them I had called. My sister called long distance to my Elders here, saying I had spoken to a DF'd person and that I, LoisLane , should now be disfellowshipped ! lol lol My Elder's reply was, We do not want to get involved in any family squabbles. lol lol

LL

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There are some very specific items of info that would help here.

Usually a registered letter is sent only as evidence that one has been invited to a Judicial Committee. I've never heard of that just for a "shepherding call". But typically the letter would identify it as a Judicial Committee. (Does it do that?)

IF they have set a Judicial Committee, that would make me think that they believe that they already have 2 witnesses to a DFing event. For example, has she told anyone (esp 2 or more) JWs that she no longer believes The Truth(TM) or expressed "apostate" thoughts or that she no longer considers herself a JW?

Moving in with a DFd family member is NOT sufficient grounds to DF a person, esp if they claim financial necessity.

The BIG QUESTION is: Does she give a sh!t if she gets DFd or not?

If not, throw it away and go on with life.

If she wants to try to avoid being DFd, then she must meet with them (or likely Baltar is right -- DFd in absentia -- prob for brazen conduct of ignoring the glorious ones or for DA herself by her actions of refusing to meet). She could call and say the scheduled time is a conflict (they must offer to reschedule at least once) and inquire what is this about in an effort to get some info for planning strategy. The best strategy is deny, deny, deny. If they produce witnesses to her saying something, claim they misunderstood. NEVER ADMIT TO DISAGREEING WITH THE ORGANIZATION. She quit attending because of a personal matter with individuals. NEVER an issue with doctrine.

Give us more info. We'll help anyway we can.

Doc

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

It's always a good idea to respond with the request that her legal counsel be present at the meeting. This will trigger a call from the elders to the legal department and often the elders are advised not to pursue the matter.

Has anyone really heard of that working recently. I would think that just means she doesn't want to be one of JWS and they will make the announcement accordingly. I think that would only work in a case where there is the potential of suing the WTS/Cong for something being mis-handled. It surely would not work if it's obviously a bluff. Only someone who is financially able to drop several $1000 would be believable. WT Legal would surely ask the elders if they beleive there is a credible threat.

If she wants to fight it, she should contact them and pressure for more info so she knows what the fight is about. (And record everything.)

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit