1975 end prediction

by FL_Panthers 83 Replies latest jw friends

• Splash
    Splash

And when it all blew over without so much as a lightning bolt, the GB blamed EVERYBODY ELSE for getting all excited about it.

"It weren't nuffin to do wiv us Guv".

WT 1976 July 15 pp. 440-441 pars. 11, 13, 15-16

11 It may be that some who have been serving God have planned their lives according to a mistaken view of just what was to happen on a certain date or in a certain year. They may have, for this reason, put off or neglected things that they otherwise would have cared for. But they have missed the point of the Bible’s warnings concerning the end of this system of things, thinking that Bible chronology reveals the specific date.

13 Did Jesus mean that we should adjust our financial and secular affairs so that our resources would just carry us to a certain date that we might think marks the end? If our house is suffering serious deterioration, should we let it go, on the assumption that we would need it only a few months longer? Or, if someone in the family possibly needs special medical care, should we say, ‘Well, we’ll put it off because the time is so near for this system of things to go’? This is not the kind of thinking that Jesus advised.

15 But it is not advisable for us to set our sights on a certain date, neglecting everyday things we would ordinarily care for as Christians, such as things that we and our families really need. We may be forgetting that, when the “day” comes, it will not change the principle that Christians must at all times take care of all their responsibilities. If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.

16 However, say that you are one who counted heavily on a date, and, commendably, set your attention more strictly on the urgency of the times and the need of the people to hear. And say you now, temporarily, feel somewhat disappointed; are you really the loser? Are you really hurt? We believe you can say that you have gained and profited by taking this conscientious course. Also, you have been enabled to get a really mature, more reasonable viewpoint. Eph. 5:1-17.

Just like that the WTS leaders washed their hands of this mess. If you sold your house, quit a good job, or gave up a once in a lifetime opportunity; well it sucks to be you. Get over it already.

• KateWild
    KateWild

You guys have really been helpful!-Panthers

Is your head spinning? This is what happens when we see the real truth about "the truth". (TTATT). Take one day at a time and keep on reading a little a day. Kate xx

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Steve2: Panthers has the ideal mentality for survival in JW-land. Lots of seemingly searching questions "backed up" with a low tolerance for making the effort to find the answers.

I am not sure Panthers behaviour is just typical of JW-land. It is also typical of Gen Y me thinks and Panthers has all the trappings of a Gen Y.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

The October 8, 1966 Awake! carried an article entitled "How Much Longer Will It Be?" and under the subheading "6,000 Years Completed in 1975," it too reasoned that the millennium would be the last 1000 years of a 7000-year rest day of God. Abandoning some of the caution shown in the above it said on page 19-20:

>>Hence, the fact that we are nearing the end of the first 6,000 years of man's existence is of great significance.

Does God's rest day parallel the time man has been on earth since his creation? Apparently so. From the most reliable investigations of Bible chronology, harmonizing with many accepted dates of secular history, we find that Adam was created in the autumn of the year 4026 B.C.E. Sometime in that year Eve could well have been created, directly after which God's rest day commenced. In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of God's rest day come to an end? The year 1975. This is worthy of notice, particularly in view of the fact that the "last days" began in 1914, and that the physical facts of our day in fulfillment of prophecy mark this as the last generation of this wicked world. So we can expect the immediate future to be filled with thrilling events for those who rest their faith in God and his promises. It means that within relatively few years we will witness the fulfillment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the "time of the end."<<

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

-"Making some special effort to do more than the usual helps us live up to our dedication. In view of the short period of time left, we want to do this as often as circumstances permit. Just think, brothers, there are only about ninety months left before 6,000 years of man's existence on earth is completed.. Do you remember what we learned at the assemblies last summer? The majority of people living today will probably be alive when Armageddon breaks out, and there are no resurrection hopes for those who are destroyed then. So, now more than ever, it is vital not to ignore that spirit of wanting to do more."

KMIN Mar 1968 4 (Mar 1968 + 90 months = Oct 1975)

• steve2
    steve2

The disturbing thing for me to face up to (ahem!) is this:

Given my being raised in the religion, my impressionable youth at the time the 1975 doctrine was first promulgated in Watchtower publications and on the platform and my desire to please my JW parents, I'd likely fall victim to it all over again were I back in the 1960s knowing what I know now.

This thought keeps me quite humble and now empathic to others who continue to feel the "pull" of the organization's unsupportable claims. It is all too easy to get swept up in man-made religiously-motivated speculations.

• FL_Panthers
    FL_Panthers

It seems that the GB had a rough hunch as to when the end will come. It looks like people took this as a literal form of confirmation and decided to run with it? Would I be correct in saying this?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It seems that the GB had a rough hunch as to when the end will come.

It looks like people took this as a literal form of confirmation and decided to run with it? Would I be correct in saying this?..

NO!..

A Huge group of renegade JWs,in a control freak WBT$ Organization?!..

Allowed to run amuck for years preaching their own version of WBT$ Truth?!..

That would never happen..It didn`t happen..

All JW beliefs are WBT$ approved..Period..

You won`t find a single WBT$ article.....Warning JWs not to preach armageddon by 1975..

All WBT$ articles were Pro 1975..

JWs preached what they were told to preach by the WBT$..

...................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• bigmac
    bigmac

i was a pioneer and a servant in the late 60's. we all lived and breathed 1975. i became apostate before 75---so waited with baited breath to see if i was right lol'

as for your question about 6000 years--its easy enough :---from now--back to christ---2000 years orgive or take a few. from christ back to adam--using the genealogy in the gospels---around 4000 years.

---that asumes adam isnt simply a myth.

then--to spice it up a bit--tack on christs milennial reign----and---wait for it----decide a creative day is 7000 years long--then you have the perfect recipe to sell a ton of 100% pure bullshit to a group of sad cases who want all their neighbours dead so they can steal their houses.

• FL_Panthers
    FL_Panthers

OUTLAW

what do you mean pro 1975?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit