1975 end prediction

by FL_Panthers 83 Replies latest jw friends

• Londo111
    Londo111

At least watch the first video. It's short.

• FL_Panthers
    FL_Panthers

Yeah I watched the first video.

stay alive till 1975?

what was the speaker talking about?

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

There are A LOT of references available on this forum and similar others. The basics: Life Everlasting and Freedom of the Sons of God, I believed published in mid-60's was the cornerstone if my memory serves me correctly. Fred Franz, the obvious writer of the book promotes his chronology with the "6000 years of human existence" starting in 4026 BCE and ending in the momentous year of 1975 AD. 1975 was touted as a year of "tremendous probability" and people, particularly Franz and his chronies like a couple of DO's started revving up the brethren. The ORG can say they never said it, but, like a retired person looking at their account statements from Lehman Brothers going up and up with no end in sight (prior to its collapse), they did not question what was being said. No real cautionary statements. Yes, a cursory comment here or there, "not serving with a date in mind" and all that, but nothing to undermine the rhetoric. I mean, why would they? The ORG was growing leaps and bounds. The truth book comes out in the late 60's and people are being baptized in 6 months or else! That's right! "Don't waste your time on people who expect to study more than six months!" was the mantra in many congregations. There is no time to waste!

Having lived through it...having been baptized as a result of the fervor and extremely fanatical parents close to 1975, it was an event, not just an article. The expectation that Jehovah would soon wipe out every non-Witness was palpable!

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

FL_Panthers .... you won't find anything in writing that comes right out and says 1975 is the end, they somewhat learned their lessons from past specific predictions ... what they did was build hype about it, they were careful not to write anything 100% specific about it, but they taught it "off the books" and implied it heavily in publications and talks from 1968 on.

• bennyk
    bennyk

They did not write that Armageddon would occur in 1975. They did write that the Millennial Reign must begin in 1975...

*** w68 5/1 pp. 271-272 Making Wise Use of the Remaining Time ***

5 Therefore, God’s s event h day and the time man has been on earth apparently run parallel. To calculate where man is in the stream of time relative to God’s seventh day of 7,000 years, we need to determine how long a time has elapsed from the year of Adam and Eve’s creation in 4026 B.C.E. From the autumn of that year to the autumn of 1 B.C.E., there would be 4,025 years. From the autumn of 1 B.C.E. to the autumn of 1 C.E. is one year (there was no zero year). From the autumn of 1 C.E. to the autumn of 1967 is a total of 1,966 years. Adding 4,025 and 1 and 1,966, we get 5,992 years from the autumn of 4026 B.C.E. to the autumn of 1967. Thus, eight years remain to account for a full 6,000 years of the seventh day. Eight years from the autumn of 1967 would bring us to the autumn of 1975, fully 6,000 years into God’s seventh day, his rest day. [...] 7 The immediate future is certain to be filled with climactic events, for this old system is nearing its complete end. Within a few years at most the final parts of Bible prophecy relative to these “last days” will undergo fulfillment, resulting in the liberation of surviving mankind into Christ’s glorious 1,000-year reign. What difficult days, but, at the same time, what grand days are just ahead!

*** w70 9/1 p. 539 Preparing for the Approaching Millennial Peace ***

Further, Bible chronology indicates that we are at the close of six thousand years of human history. For Jesus to be “Lord of the sabbath,” his thousand-year reign would have to be the seventh in a series of thousand-year periods. Would not, then, the end of six millenniums of mankind’s laborious enslavement under Satan the Devil be the fitting time for Jehovah God to usher in a sabbath millennium for all mankind?

• steve2
    steve2

FL-Panthers got you guys working real hard...while s/he sits back appraising the results. S/he makes request after request after request for information so s/he doesn't have to spend too much time doing her/his own research.

Click those fingers! Get dem posters working hard.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Dont be lazy panthers... follow the research handed to you.

Let me ask you also... According to the climate that exists now in JW land, how long off is the end supposed to be?

They drop comments now about "this may be our last memorial ever" etc....

If you start talking about the house you will buy in 10 years to an uber strong JW, just watch as you get slammed for not "keeping up with the chariot etc"

SO, magnify that 100 times, and you get the hype that existed back in the early 1970's

• scary21
    scary21

I was 21 in 1975.......lived it.....hence my name SCARY21.

Yes, in order for Jesus not to be a big fat liar his 1000 year reign WOULD HAVE TO START in 1975 . That sums it up !

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Hey Panthers,

So I kind of see where you are going. I had a very similar mind set when I was fading at first. Heres a few things to consider, and mind you, everyone has different things that are important to them. For example, I could give a rip about the UN controversy, but the blood issue is what makes me nuts. But attempting to see this from another perspective would be good.

First, many alive during that time will tell you very clearly that people were expecting something. That they were selling homes, not saving for retirement, and that some elders and CO's were even more flat out about it. The generation older than you (and me) to a large extent took the "hints" from the branch as gospel. I remember one time a woman claiming tobe of the annointed out here telling me, "well sure the branch couldn't write that, but just look at the pictures and read between the lines. You have to be a discerning Christian!". What was it that i was asking her? Well she felt that i should stop dating the black woman I was dating because a mixed race marriage takes away from the message? Anyways i digress.

Second, you are not going to see in black and white a "the end is coming in 1975 so get ready" if that is what you are looking for. The smoking gun is not so blatant. It is more subtle. It is the zeitgeist of the time period, and those that lived through it. I wasn't even born yet so its hard for me to pinpoint, but the talks recorded that you can listen to certainly give MIXED MESSAGES.

Third, at best, isn't implying it ridiculous enough? Even if it wasn't clearly stated matter of factly, isn't the "wouldn't it be interesting if....." statement just as ridiculously stupid? It would be if you considered it from the standpoint at looking at another religion don't you think?

Fourth, there were very clear statements that did not come to pass about other earlier dates. Are those less important than 1975, and if so, ask yourself why?

The question here is not wether they were wrong, used poor judgement, had a few rouge people stirring things up, did it for growth, or Franz was just off.....the question is how can you simultaneously claim your appointment is analgous to Moses being appointed, say others following your lead will have a direct impact on their salvation, and then be wrong about SO MUCH.

My exit from the organization was a death by a thousand cuts. I could only give so many passes before I just felt like I was being inauthentic.

• XstuckX
    XstuckX

you don't want to watch a video but you want bullet points.......you're really gullible aren't you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit