JW refuses to provide wedding stationery to Gay couple

by KateWild 176 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• xchange
    xchange

I have seen no indication that she was disrepectful in any way.

Thus, the root of the problem. If you honestly don't see why this is offensive, then carry on.

• jws
    jws

This woman's website is:

http://www.justforyouinvitations.co.uk/

Her company sells invitations. I wonder if they do birthday party invitations as well. I don't see them shown, but who knows?

There is a "contact us" link where you can leave a message. Her e-mail address is also here.

• KateWild
    KateWild

That's the point jws, she turned down business saying it was for religious reasons, but she compromises in other areas. Why is gayness more reason to stand up for beliefs than birthdays, or fornicating couples who are planning a wedding?

I am gonna check out her site

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

I just phoned her. She only does wedding invites. She gave me a quote, for some invites and I then asked her about religion and as soon as I said word she slammed the phone down on me. She must have had loads of phonecalls already. LOL!

I may go and pay her a visit, she's not far from me.

Kate xx

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This issue was litigated heavily when Jim Crow laws in the South were challenged. I recall going on a march to DC for peace with a suburban group. it was a college town and sophisticated. We were so hungry returning up North. The local Howard Johnson's in MD started to serve us. As soon as they caught sighto the interracial couple in our group, food service was halted. I said that we should challenge it. We would win. The couple said they were used to it.

• jws
    jws

Even if she doesn't ask whether the couple had sex before marriage, I'm sure there's the occasional pregnant bride. As well as couples who casually mention that it's their first time getting married and have little ones with them. If she's serving them, she's a hypocrite.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Mrhome I’m not sure you get irony. Mel Brooks is over there, go talk to him. Being a member of the LGBT community I find your comments offensive. JWs kill or ruin the lives of gay people by what they teach them. Not a small number have committed suicide induced by the guilt and alienation they had installed in them. Hitler also condemned gay people in concentration camps under the propaganda label of being a threat.

No business should be able to target one group or another in such a way without moral condemnation itself. Racism and homophobia are no different in principle.

• SyntaxError1974
    SyntaxError1974

She could have handled this better and still kept her "conscience clear".

1. She is a printer, acting in a professional capacity. She was not asked to attend as part of her job. She could have justified making them.

2. She could have discreatly turned down the job. "I'm sorry I would love to make them, but I am a small shop and already have too many projects. I just don't think I can finish yours in time. Can I reccomend so and so?"

3. Most print shops have connections with other print shops to outsource projects they just can't do themselves. She could have quietly taken the order and outsourced it so she was not the one "making" them.

4. She could hire a "worldly" employee. Pass off all the questionable projects to him/her.

She had many options other than being offensive.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Actually, the evidence is pointing in the other direction. If you look at the businesses which have defied the government (either birth control issue or LGBT), their business has boomed. The baker in CO, Hobby Lobby, Chick-fil-a, etc.

That's not evidence, you know. That's more "homophobes banding together" than it is a good business practice.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

If she was just an employee of the shop it might be a different situation, but as the business owner, shouldn't she have the choice of what kind of materials she wants to print, no matter what her reason is?

Why are you using a strawman fallacy on this? That is not what happened. Certainly a business owner can determine which types of products/services can be offered or sold, but that does not mean that he/she can discriminate on who to sell those same products and services to.

Don't confuse personal liberties with the obligations of a customer facing business. This woman has all the rights to refuse to bake a cake to anybody in her own private life, but DOES NOT have the right to refuse to handle business as usual to someone based on who they are. This is the difference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit