JW refuses to provide wedding stationery to Gay couple

by KateWild 176 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

I find it disturbing that she had to consult with an elder and not make the decision for herself.

On the other hand, I find it very disturbing that the courts are dictating with whom you have to do business.

Go ahead and cheer if you want, but the baker mentioned above just stopped selling wedding cakes. Congratulations. The price of wedding cakes just increased in his locale.... oh and BTW, his business is booming from all the publicity he got.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Wish I had a heart that worked properly, or I would be sending Emails to all our major newspaper about this disgusting homophobic behaviour.

Thanks for sharing Kate.

Paula

• mrhhome
    mrhhome

Refering back to previous faith, religion, and science threads. The LGBT movement has taken on a religious fanatical tone. Heaven help anyone who does not prostrate themselves before them. They are the one group that frightens me more than the JW.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I’m a gay guy and still Christian and technically still a JW, as I was never disfellowshiped. Be afraid, be very afraid. I would have been killed twice by Hitler. Shame I wasn’t Jewish and disabled as well really. I would have liked four badges.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Exactly how Gay were these guys ?

Like irritatingly, in your face, Gay ?

Like fondling each other in public, Gay ?

Like one is dressed like a girl in a Tutu, Gay ?

Even Gay people can't stand certain Gay people.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

So they'll make money off making invitations for different religions but stop when it comes to gays ?? What a hypocrite!

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

No seriously, I agree, this is a printing business, with doors

open to all, and they probably don't print for apostates either.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

As STILLIN mentioned, the topic of this post reminds me of this story. http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/06/03/baker-forced-to-make-gay-wedding-cakes-undergo-sensitivity-training-after/

I don’t think anyone should be discriminated against but I also think a business owner should have rights that protect his or her personal beliefs as well. I can't help but wonder if a printer refused to print invitations for a Nazi rally or White Supremacist event, if anyone would object. Dont' Neo Nazi's and Members of the KKK have rights too? It seems like when it comes to the topic of Gay rights, people aren’t allowed any options when it comes to their own sensibilities on the subject. I'm not by any means comparing Gay people to Nazi's or the KKK, rather I'm wondering where do you draw the line when it comes to the right of a business owner to refuse or accept a customer's request. How do you make that distinction?

Sometimes businesses even have a statement posted in their premisis stating "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" but maybe I'm not comparing apples to apples here.

• Scully
    Scully

The gay community should make an example of her for this - it is illegal for someone to discriminate on the basis of religion, race, creed or sexual orientation. She can't single out one segment of the community whose lifestyle offends her religious sensibilities, when she has likely provided services to couples who, if she bothered to inquire, would be found out to be committing fornication or adultery, which are also against her religious principles. Just because it's two males who wish to get married, it's just as offensive to refuse their business as it would be for her to refuse the business of a black or interracial couple.

I wonder if the JW business owner could get the WT legal team to represent her?

• Scully
    Scully

exwhyzee:

Dont' Neo Nazi's and Members of the KKK have rights too? It seems like when it comes to the topic of Gay rights, people aren’t allowed any options when it comes to their own sensibilities on the subject.

The thing with neo-nazis and KKK members is that they *do* discriminate and their events promote racial segregation, hate speech, etc. Refusing to serve them, when their viewpoints are in opposition to the civil liberties of the general public, would probably be legally permissible. If a group wants to promote their hatred, they can find someone who shares that viewpoint to do the stationery, catering, etc. I don't see a gay couple who want to spend the rest of their lives together in a committed relationship as a violation of anyone else's civil liberties. They aren't telling the JW stationery lady that she can't go Door-to-Door™ or attend Meetings™ at the Kingdom Hall™ or gather with other JWs at a Circuit Assembly™ or District Convention™. They just want to have a celebration of their relationship with their friends and loved ones - it is none of this JW lady's business to interfere with that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit