If You Owned This Site Would It Be Any Different?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

This site is probably one of the most informative JW sites on the internet. If you want to keep abreast of the Watchtower, this is a great place to Find out the latest in JW land. Kudos to Simon for keeping it going all these years!!! Now, if you owned this place, would it be pretty much the same....or not?

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Just update it to v-bulletin

• minimus
    minimus

What's that?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yeah, I'd market lots of get-rich-marketing pyramid schemes in the advertizing areas. Anyone who was gullible enough to buy into the JW nonsense should be a good audience for other BS schemes.

Doc

• bobert
    bobert

Not really content related, but I'd go with the normal forum system where the most recently posted on thread is the top thread.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, I would also switch the forum to a customary software package like vBulletin. I would also encourage the mods to ban and temp ban a lot more often for incivility, and maybe enforce a separation in posters between faith threads and atheist threads (besides agreed-upon exceptions like debate threads).

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

I would monitor God bashing and Christian bashing with the rigor and

outrage that Gay bashing is, forbidden here. Mocking God would be

considered as socially unacceptable as mocking and making fun of or

using derogatory names for Gays, homosexuals, or any person or group.

Free speech stops at using racial slurs or insulting people because they are Gay.

So why not include Christians and believers and the various names of God in

that protection ? And if your answer is because he doesn't exist, my answer is; this

is not an exclusive atheist site dedicated to atheism and your opinion can be

expressed without bashing or insulting those who do believe and if fact those who

want to escape a cult are not drawn here because they do not believe in God,

many are actually driven away by the constant hammering believers get here.

• cofty
    cofty

Free speech stops at using racial slurs or insulting people because they are Gay. So why not include Christians and believers and the various names of God in that protection ? - Villagegirl

People don't choose their race or sexuality, that's the difference.

All our beliefs should be held up to scrutiny. Protecting dogma from criticism is what cults do.

If theism has any substance it should welcome challenges.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I am not standing in the shoes. When I joined, it seemed that deluded believers were allowed to do outrageous things. Now, I feel some atheists go out of their way to be grating. Ideas don't count. It is hit over the head with my belief that I impose on you. I don't know how anyone could stay on top of all controversies. Consistency would help.

• jgnat
    jgnat

If I had been in charge the site it would have expired from mediocrity a long time ago. It takes a very special kind of owner to ride this bucking horse, letting it run where it will.

John Ware - Tall in the Saddle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit