Have you noticed the common practice is to knock indivual's self esteem?

by stuckinarut2 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

In another thread, one of our members made a comment that caught my attention.

I have been trying to put my finger on a practice amongst the org and witnesses in general...

As soon as someone does something well, accomplishes something, or excels at something, the atmosphere effectiveley 'kicks them in the gut' to bring them down.

Anything that makes a person grow or develop is blatently discouraged and therefore self esteem is squashed!

The constant message telling a witness to be 'humble' is designed to suck any sense of growth or 'betterment' out of a person....

Therefore this leaves the average witness to be a blubbering mess of insecurity and instability completely dependant on the organization...Kind of like a 'battered-wife' scenario...

• designs
    designs

In the first congregation I was in there was a young teenager who tested in the top 3% scholastically in the nation. He was offered a full ride at Harvard. Two Elders did a 'shepherding call' on the mom and son to discourage college for this gifted kid. Within a week the mom turned in her resignation letter.

Can you imagine a kid like that pioneering and doing janitorial work.

• Heath N
    Heath N

I agree, and it has always been that way to "beat down" good people that way.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

stuckinarut2: Kind of like a 'battered-wife' scenario...

Not "kind of," exactly like!

A codependent relationship is a codependent relationship whether it's between a couple of individuals (usually a man and a woman) or between a group of people and the authoritarian control stucture.

The dynamics are identical.

Here are some interesting quotes from relevant websites:

Are You in a Codependent Relationship? (webMD):

• Codependency, by definition, means making the relationship more important to you than you are to yourself
    • Probably the most significant theme is a sense of control
    • "A lot of times, people have low self-esteem and say, 'I'm no good, no one would want me, and therefore I have to put up with this.' These negative thoughts are very common," he says, "and they have a big impact on why people stay in relationships that may not be good for them."

Are You In a Codependent Relationship? (Psychology Today):

• Although these unbalanced relationships can go on for some time, they are ultimately unsustainable due their consumption of the helper’s physical, emotional, or financial resources, and because they lead to resentment and relationship strain.

Codependency (Mental Health America):

• Similar patterns have been seen in people in relationships with chronically or mentally ill individuals.
    • An unhealthy dependence on relationships. The co-dependent will do anything to hold on to a relationship; to avoid the feeling of abandonment
    • A sense of guilt when asserting themselves
    • A compelling need to control others
    • Lack of trust in self and/or others

You will probably find this questionairre from Mental Health America revealing in light of being a Witness:

Questionnaire To Identify Signs Of Co-dependency

This condition appears to run in different degrees, whereby the intensity of symptoms are on a spectrum of severity, as opposed to an all or nothing scale. Please note that only a qualified professional can make a diagnosis of co-dependency; not everyone experiencing these symptoms suffers from co-dependency.

1. Do you keep quiet to avoid arguments?
    2. Are you always worried about others’ opinions of you?
    3. Have you ever lived with someone with an alcohol or drug problem?
    4. Have you ever lived with someone who hits or belittles you?
    5. Are the opinions of others more important than your own?
    6. Do you have difficulty adjusting to changes at work or home?
    7. Do you feel rejected when significant others spend time with friends?
    8. Do you doubt your ability to be who you want to be?
    9. Are you uncomfortable expressing your true feelings to others?
    10. Have you ever felt inadequate?
    11. Do you feel like a “bad person” when you make a mistake?
    12. Do you have difficulty taking compliments or gifts?
    13. Do you feel humiliation when your child or spouse makes a mistake?
    14. Do you think people in your life would go downhill without your constant efforts?
    15. Do you frequently wish someone could help you get things done?
    16. Do you have difficulty talking to people in authority, such as the police or your boss? (or the elders)
    17. Are you confused about who you are or where you are going with your life?
    18. Do you have trouble saying “no” when asked for help?
    19. Do you have trouble asking for help?
    20. Do you have so many things going at once that you can’t do justice to any of them?

I grayed out numbers 3, 6 & 7 because they are the only ones that don't seem to be institutional among JWs. In my experience, every other one of these questions can be answered in a way that supports the thesis that being a JW is the same as being in a codependent relationship. The R&F are the enablers for the WT heirarchy.

The abuse comes from the top down. Interestingly, the elders both get it and give it. This is why many of them completely lose their identity.

It is important for us to recognize this cult for what it is and in so doing we can leave this destructive religion, begin to take back control of our life and start healing.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

We call it tall poppy syndrome in Australia but jws have taken it to the nth degree.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great responses everyone!

Thankyou...

Yes, I am obviously in such a disfunctional relationship!

When your comments hit the nail on the head so well, it all makes sense.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

• Although these unbalanced relationships can go on for some time, they are ultimately unsustainable due their consumption of the helper’s physical, emotional, or financial resources, and because they lead to resentment and relationship strain.

Give Jehovah The Corporation Your Best

In what other way may we draw close to God The Watchtower INC? “Honor Jehovah The Governing Body with your valuable things and with the firstfruits of all your produce,” instructs the king. (Proverbs 3:9) To honor Jehovah The Corporation means to show him the Governing Body high regard and to exalt him them publicly by sharing in and supporting the public proclamation of his their names. The valuable things with which we honor Jehovah The Corporation are our time, our talents, our strength, and our material possessions. These must be the firstfruits—our very best. Should not the way we use our personal resources reflect our resolve to ‘keep on seeking first the kingdom Corporation and God’s the Governing Body's righteousness’?—Matthew 6:33.

DD

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yes it's very similar to domestic violence relationships. That's why when people here say they must find a therapist who understands jws, I say the therapist's job is not doctrine, it's treating psychological dysfunction, and they are very familiar with our sort of dysfunction.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

The latest wt article dissected by Blondie epitomizes the organisation's telling everyone how much they suck.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It depends on what level you're at in the corporation. The low ranks are guilt tripped by the higher ranks. The higher ranks have their bottoms licked by the lower ranks. It's nothing more than a corporate pecking order.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit