Have you noticed the common practice is to knock indivual's self esteem?

by stuckinarut2 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Wow - thanks for that list Oubliette - my wife hit most of those but especially 1, 5, 9,12,15,16 and 19 and also probably 10 and 11 but she never lets me in enough to know for sure. I always suspected her dyfunction was a product of her Witness upbringing but this confirms it. Cheers Fraz

• KateWild
    KateWild

Certain elders were always telling me how inadequate I was and how I was missing the mark. They beliitled me infront of my kids, it was disgusting that I alllowed it for so long, but eventually I got out before it did too much damage to them.

My kids now know it's a destructive cult.

Kate xx

• carla
    carla

I have not been keeping up with the weekly mind numbing soul bashing literature but I don't need to, just noticing my jw's demeanor lately and I can tell they must be on a kick of browbeating their people, again.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Aside from their obsession with control, I think the core of WT leadership's approach is really projection- they are empty and unfulfilled and fill that vacuum by projecting their emptiness onto the R&F, essentially making it their issue too.

In truth, the constant bashing reveals how small the leadership really is. They have nothing to build a person up, so resort to tearing others down to make themselves feel better through pseudo moral superiority.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So very true ADCMS....

and yet they say that "apostates" are the ones with nothing but negativity and emptiness!

ha!!!! damn cult!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Therefore this leaves the average witness to be a blubbering mess of insecurity and instability completely Dependant on the organization...Kind of like a 'battered-wife' scenario...

And intellectually stinted by discouraging learning new things with a open mind.

The main objective though is control , a devised control that works solely for the praise and

self appealing worth of the WTS., humanity and the individual is vacuously weak and unimportant.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

stuckinarut2:

Possibly it was my comment in the "Janitor" thread. However, I am glad you made a thread about it because it is a topic that needs to be addressed.

Yes, it is most definitely a practice within the Jehovah's Witness religion to try to knock an individual's sefl-esteem. As you said: "..as soon as someone does something well, accomplishes something, excels at something, the atmosphere [in the congregation] effectively "kicks them in the gut" to bring them down."

I came from a dysfunctional non-JW family and as most can understand I had to go through the usual adolescent issues of easing into adulthood and feeling good about myself. In the few years before I came into the JW religion as a young adult I was just at a point where I was somewhat comfortable with myself and I was looking for answers on a religious level as to end-time prophecy.

When I made the fateful mistake of walking into a kingdom hall, I had no idea that I was stepping into a place where self-esteem (particularly in women) was frowned-on. In all the love-bombing I experienced in the first few years I did not detect that anything was wrong.....just yet.

After the love-bombing phase ended, the atmosphere changed. The rude awakenings set in, along with attacks on my self-esteem. I got the message that I was not supposed to feel good about myself.

Certainly I was no celebrity or "golden girl".... I was simply a well-spoken, working young woman and the idea that they could be 'threatened' by somebody like me really makes you wonder! However, I never once took this to heart and I said to myself that I was not going to have my self-esteem torn down by what I perceived were jealous idiots.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Frazzled UBM, my pastor's wife just came back from a missions trip to the Phillippines and the examples of crushing poverty left me bowled over. This woman worked with a boy whose family shared a shack with ten people. This boy slept in shifts with his brothers, and was lucky to get three hours of sleep a night. Now tell me, when does such a young man have a chance to get an education or do anything to raise himself above his condition?

No wonder the temporary workers from the Phillippines take our low-paying service jobs in this part of the world and by all appearances, are happy to have it?

I guess I say that to try and understand why your wife remains so closed-off. It could have been an early defence mechanism from a harsh childhood.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Teaching that humans are the pinnacle of God's creation whilst calling them hopelessly "bad" is one of the more paradoxical aspects of fundamentalist Christianity.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Vidiot: Teaching that humans are the pinnacle of God's creation whilst calling them hopelessly "bad" is one of the more paradoxical aspects of fundamentalist Christianity.

Good point. I never thought about it that way before.

I guess even God's best isn't all that good after all!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit