Are JEhovah's Witnesses reaching out to the Gay community ?

by Watchtower-Free 51 Replies latest social humour

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Quendi - "...a Witness friend in Los Angeles told me that the WTS has scrupulously avoided the topic. I had asked him what directions had been given should a door-to-door canvasser encountered a legally married same-sex couple at the door. None has been given in print or from the platform and the matter is not discussed in meetings for the canvassing work. Circuit Overseers and District Overseers have remained conspcuously silent about this as well."

Interesting; thank you.

I'm not surprised they keep their mouths shut; if they responded positively, they'd look hypocritical, but if they responded negatively, they'd look like bigoted assholes.

Know what would have been really funny?

If the LGBT community in California had made a public service message politely thanking the WTS, specifically attributing the victory to the old precedent.

The WTS would have ended up in an extremely awkward position PR-wise, for the above reasons.

• Watchtower-Free
  • Watchtower-Free
  • blondie
    blondie

They still fear gays....HIV, AIDS, that they will make passes at them, that they don't want to take their children with them but will go into crime ridden, drug infested neighborhoods.

They fear them more than pedophiles and think that all gays are pedophiles.

I have seen elders disinfect the restrooms at the KH 3 times after gay studies visit, won't shake hands or give hug.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Watchtower-Free, it seems from this post that the quality of your work fools even exJWs.

I wonder what would happen if it got into the wrong I mean right hands...

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Quendi, thanks for sharing that experience. That woman was absolutely a rarity in the organization.

I have come to believe that one reason for the Governing Body's unrelenting homophobia is that some of them are gay men themselves and are filled with self-loathing and self-hatred. They project those feelings on the membership, some of whom are dealing with the same issues themselves.

I agree. I've also suspected that the reason we hear a lot about Bethelites evenutally coming out, whether on their own or unintentionally, is because a good number of born-in gay JWs end up volunteering for Bethel—the reason being that their constant inner turmoil (speaking from experience) is dealt with by throwing themselves into the rigorous full-time regime at Bethel. It's also a good excuse for avoiding the pressure to marry ("the gift of singleness").

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

There is always room for one more in the Bethel spa!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Of COURSE they are!!!!!

All those tight pants, and big butch hunky lezzies...

• Zoos
    Zoos

So what happens when JWs encounter legally married gay couples? Do they now encourage divorce?

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

I imagine they would - just as couples who were living together were encourage to marry or end the arrangement.

It's divorce in their eyes as they were never married in the eyes of god.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit