Does anyone here use TVP as a regular part of their diet...

by Gregor 16 Replies latest social physical

• Gregor
    Gregor

tectured vegetable protien. Substitutes for meat. Do you like it?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Not particularly.

When I went total vegetarian (essentially vegan, but I wore leather shoes and wool sweaters) years ago, I honestly think that too many soy products (which I believe is the chief component of TVP) did not make me feel well.

So, sure, TVP is a great ground beef correlate in chili and such, but I would limit your intake, esp. if you are male (there's a lot of estorogen in soy which I think was what was making me feel "weird").

I now eat everything, but I do see the benefits to a meatless, dairy-free diet - if it's done right.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is weird. I am a massive Beatles fan. When Linda developed breast cancer, Paul was promoting her cookbook. He kept going on about TVP. I believe she had a vegetarian food distribution company in England. He made it sound as though Linda developed the idea. Wow. It was over the top.

Do you have particular concerns?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I am going to try to go vegetarian again at some point. Last time I didn't put the proper effort into it and my health started going south. I didn't get too much into the fake meat products at the time, so I don't know much, but this looks promising: http://www.today.com/food/today-puts-meatless-meat-test-does-it-taste-chicken-1D79579619

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like natural textured vegetable proteins like edamame, beans, and nuts. I won't touch the fake stuff. Some of the wild mushrooms, reconstituted and put in a sauce, fake the smoky flavour and texture of meat.

I figure if you are craving meat, eat meat.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Well presumably this is for people who have ethical objections to eating dead animals.

• rebel8
    rebel8

TVP has almost no flavor so I can't imagine why anyone would dislike it. You can flavor it any way you want to. For me, it's not a "substitute for meat", it's a healthy, good tasting food that I enjoy. I can eat many of my childhood favorite foods without the meaty flavor, i.e., breakfast sausage with the nice maple and spicy flavors.

There are a lot of myths about soy. Soy does not contain estrogen.

studies in humans have not shown harm from eating soy foods

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I like veggie burgers and stuff like that. Although,if it tastes too much like meat,I really don't care for it. Anymore,I prefer,just to eat grains,veggies,and beans.

It's all how you prepare it,and some brands are better than others. Although,whether vegetarian or not,over processed foods aren't necessarily that healthy.

• Gregor
    Gregor

We used to keep gardenburgers on hand in the freezer for a long time. Then we noticed that we had stopped eating them. Boring. Now we are seeing a lot of new products, sausage, etc on the shelves and are thinking of trying some. The doctors are always harping on cutting back on red meat but we eat more chicken than anything and have fish often. When we eat red meat it is steak, roast or lamb chops. There is no tvp that can match the flavor.

I love edemame but they make me fart like a mule.

• talesin
    talesin

Like Rebel8, I like to use it as a cheap and healthy source of protein. It can have the consistency of hamburger, and with a bit of practice can be nicely browned (it won't carmelize, needs help). I always figure that less meat = more butter for me! :P Butter is mixed with EVOO 1/2 and 1/2, of course, for a healthy dose of the good cholesterol. :D

Soya beans and their products, sadly, are no longer something I can eat, so TVP is no longer on the grocery list. Well-drained, firm tofu curd makes for excellent grilling, because the marinade that you concoct will dictate the flavour. The end. Just sayin' hehehe...

Any processed food that I use, is something I try to check up on every once in a while, to see if there is new information that will affect my choice to use that product. For example, the butcher at the major National food chain told me that all their pork contains MSG, unless marked "unseasoned". If MSG is a concern, especially with your children, then you have a Need To Know. So I always say, research everything yourself, get comfortable with it. Learn to tell the sensational, and check university studies, verified heatlh professionals - and that includes nurses, podiatrists, and others. Verify, read, process - choose what is logical and goes with your gut. Then do more research. Verify. Yes, take the word of a trusted source, but learn to verify on your own. Then, when you don't have an advisor, you'll have better online reserch skills.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit