Letter to BOE: Adjustment in process for appointing elders and ministerial servants

by pixel 143 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

frankiespeakin - "They have to go a lot farther to shield themselves from legal action than giving COs appointment ability. They seem to be hell bent on letting their COs or company men suffer for the good of the Corporation or take the blame and get sued..."

Wanting tighter autocratic control over the actions of the membership whilst divesting themselves further of legal liability?

Talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it, too.

The Legal Department must be getting dizzy at this point.

Two outcomes I can think of that could result from this is that local BOEs will either enforce the GB's instructions so harshly that they alienate the R&F, or that local BOEs will just give up and not bother to enforce anything...

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

"In accord with this Scriptural precedent, the Governing Body has decided......"

The Watchtower organization is well over 130 years old and its' barely now figuring out how to appoint responsible men to positions of oversight in the 110,000+ congregations! It should make people wonder if even the appointment of the Governing Body members themselves has been scripturally done right.

A point worth highlighting.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w10 5/15 p. 32 par. 19 Do Not Grieve Jehovah’s Holy Spirit ***

By means of his holy spirit, God furthers the love, joy, and unity of his people. (Ps. 133:1-3) Therefore, we should refrain from grieving the spirit because of engaging in harmful gossip or by saying things that would undermine respect for those who are spirit-appointed shepherds. (Acts 20:28; Jude 8)

*** w04 5/15 p. 30 Questions From Readers ***

We would also be grieving the spirit if we deliberately undermined respect for spirit-appointed men in the congregation.—Acts 20:28; Jude 8.

*** w03 9/1 p. 18 par. 18 Trust in Jehovah Completely in Times of Distress ***

Seeking help from spirit-appointed elders in the congregation is a further way to demonstrate our reliance on Jehovah. (Acts 20:28)

*** w99 5/15 p. 26 The Christian Congregation—A Source of Strengthening Aid ***

Spirit-appointed elders, or overseers, care for God’s sheeplike people, encourage the sick and depressed, and seek to restore those who have erred.—Psalm 100:3; 1 Peter 5:2, 3.

*** w89 9/15 p. 10 par. 1 Elders—Guard Your Trust ***

Kingdom proclaimers, including spirit-appointed elders, should esteem this trust as of the highest value.

*** w73 7/1 pp. 399-400 par. 30 Organized to Praise God ***

In 1959 another organizational provision had its beginning. This was the Kingdom Ministry School. Conveniently located and operating under the Watch Tower Society’s direction in various lands, these schools train spirit-appointed overseers to discharge their responsibilities within the Christian congregation.—Acts 20:28; 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13; 1 Pet. 5:1-4.

*** w61 5/15 p. 304 par. 9 Overseers for the Joy of the Flock ***

If the members of the congregation show respect for the theocratic organization, being obedient and submissive to the divine will and to the orderly way of carrying out the divine will under the direction of the spirit-appointed overseers, quick to respond to suggestions and counsel, and putting away any spirit of murmuring, how this contributes to the happiness of the overseer, and how much more effective his care for the spiritual lives of the flock!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

" I think people are missing the point that this letter now gives the CO power to remove any elder or ms, without explanation. Have a disagreement with the CO, removed. Look at the CO funny, removed. Don't give the CO a green handshake, removed. Don't have the right food when the CO comes for supper, removed."

LOL!!! Tell the CO to suck it sideways because your contributions pay for his lifestyle = NOT Removed!!! LOL!!! I may try this....

DD

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

It's a way of creating legal separation and accountability between them (e.g WTBTS assets) and the R&F. If their regional manager gets it wrong (e.g appoints an elder with a criminal record against children), then it could be argued by WT that the decision didn't come from them. All care but no responsibility. If the CO dose end up getting thrown under the bus, he has taken a vowl of poverty so there is nothing to be sued for. He could even apply for legal aid.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

What saddens me the most is that it's the people who most need to know this are most oblivious to the fact. I have got JW relatives who still think it's only the Catholic Church that has the pedophile problem. They have got totally no idea that Wt has got the same problem. My argument here is if they can't grasp the pedophile issue how would they ever understand (or care for that matter) of who appoints who.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I have got JW relatives who still think it's only the Catholic Church that has the pedophile problem

---

At least the CC has admitted it, and, at on the surface, appears to be doing something about it.

WT still denies a problem exists and DFs anyone who tries to expose it.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Again - this letter is the beginning of the new arrangement / relationship between elders and the branch. More details will follow over the summer.

The new arrangement for pedophiles within the congregation stays much the same as it has in the past years (contact the legal department when accusations arise and two witnesses are required for judicial action). The DIFFERENCE is the branch determines who will be considered a PREDATOR in the congregation.

ginger

• Tech49
    Tech49

Ok, I will weigh in on this one. From the moment I saw this, when it came thru as a story from JWSurvey, I could only shake my head and plant my palm firmly into my forehead. (sidepoint: every time I get an update from Cedar's website, I cringe a little before I open my email. I think to myself: what idiotic thing has WT done THIS WEEK? Who dreams this stuff up? It's getting to the point to where I am just embarrassed...)

Most of you have already parroted my exact thoughts on the matter, but there are several obvious things that occured to me almost instantly, that should seem VERY out of place to anyone with even one eye open (most of this has already been covered by you astute little students, but allow me the pleasure to re-address):

1. HOLY SPIRIT. As was mentioned, and shown very clearly by Blondie, HS is supposed to be the one doing all the appointing, or at least WAS according to WT, and all the old-but-fading light. Soooo, now the CO gets the magical HS wand? Or is HS going to guide and direct HIM alone, as he has the ultimate decision-making ability? (I personally NEVER bought the story that EVERY single appointment recommendation letter gets prayed over at headquarters, and HS helps the brothers stamp it or not. Just a quick lesson in mathematics tells you that it is almost impossible....)

2. DATABASE. In order for the CO to make sure to NOT appoint pedophiles, without sending the info to the branch for them to check, there will certainly HAVE to be a database for him to submit names to. Databases can be hacked. Carry on... Anyways, I digress. Think about this scenario... What's to stop a disgruntled, pissed off, pedophile, wife-beater, lying cheating no-gooder to just move to a different state? Then, he could "pretend" to be a bible study, start fresh, schmooze the locals and the CO, and within a few short years.... BAM. Appointment. No checking with "Mother", just the local HR Rep.

3. ABSOLUTE POWER.... corrupts absolutely. Sure, many, maybe even most brothers will do what they can, and will be as fair as possible. But the reality is this... if someone pads your palm with a wad of 20's, almost ANYONE, including you and I, would have an unconscious desire to think more of that person than the one who didnt. Get enough of that going on, and soon, very soon, the "responsibility", "priviledge", and "qualifying" of a title loses its credibility, even more than it already has. There is so much ass-kissing going on right now, that all this will seem as a "blessing" to those brothers who are trying so hard to kiss the shiny shoes of the CO. My current CO is an idiot. He is impersonal, lackluster, and has no education whatsoever (other than "spiritual"). His wife was made in the same mold. Dumb. Can't carry on a conversation on a personal level. Dresses like a ragdoll. Brother CO has a little gaggle of brothers that treat him like a king every time he visits, and I can almost guarantee which ones will be up for appointments next visit. It is just sickening to watch. None of them "qualify", but will no doubt get the blessing of the Holy Spirit. ugh.

4. LEGAL aspect. Yep, that crossed my mind too. Brother CO, you get the wonderful blessing and personal priviledge of EXTENDED responsibilities, YAYYYY! (watch out for the bus tires, 'cause you will be the first one to get one to the head if things go haywire)

Personally, it disgusts me. This arrangement, no matter what "refinements" and "further instruction" come later, is frought with disaster. And for the GB to say that it "comes from the scriptures" is just stupid. (I thought the previous arrangement was from the scriptures??) Every day they seem to make shit up, then find a scripture to twist and shoehorn in to back up their made-up shit. They keep reading a letter a week to the congregations, and these poor bastards' head's are just spinning! We know you can't keep up, but you all better get your act together, cause it's time for another invitation campaign!

Listen, Obey, and Be Blessed!

Jack Harper, Tech49

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I guess the Holy Spirit doesn't like the local BOE any more. Now the HS is giving all attention to the CO.

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit