Is There Anything About The Witnesses That You Like?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

The shoes. I had so many, many really cute shoes. Mostly 4-inch heals.

-Aude.

• RagingBull
    RagingBull

YES, they make me feel like a genius. LOL

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

They are like any other population of people, some very nice and some complete total assholes.

• ShirleyW
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't like Witnesses. There were some exceptions.

The only way I feel the Witnesses affected me in a positive way is their stance on First Amendment rights. I was very conscious of being a religious minority. There were a lot fewer Witnesses when I was young. Bethel was small. My family members went to prison or suffered unfairly b/c of prejudice. A lot of it may have been brought on by Rutherford's beligerence but the threat from the right was real. My mom being expelled from school at 14 affected me. I always felt this burden that I had to do well in school to make it up to her.

They were repeatedly before the Supreme Court and, after a while, the law changed. When I was a teen and in college, I saw the triumph of the law and how America could right itself. American law was positive. I could finish school. Only I had to fight my father to do so. Government or father-someone was restraining me. My profs saw all the years there was no right when the First Amendment was clear. My admiration for the ACLU stemmed from those cases.

As I studied these cases more closely, though, I realized my profs were correct. Right wingers prevailed in too many spheres. Also, I am certain my interest in politics stems from the same source. Maybe it would be cool to be a clown in Central Park.

The WT has rarely been on the side of what I considered "good" since then. I cannot forget how I had to fight to finish high school. Sometimes I don't know how those line of cases benefited the Witnesses b/c they are so antieducation.

There is not a single good thing other than my profession. Would I consider my profession good if I had another life?

• Samuel Thorsen
    Samuel Thorsen

They're non smokers. I can like that.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

There were a few who were really loving and would go out of their way to help one in need.

• Decided
    Decided

I liked going to the conventions because I visited so many cities I would have never seen when I was young. NYC, Florida, St. Louis, California. My parents wouldn't have had the money if they didn't save enoug to go because of the JW religion. I liked the teenage girles I met too.

I liked my JW family on my Dad's side, there was none on my mother's family that were JW's but they were nice relatives.

Ken P.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Somehow the harsh judgemental attitudes, shunning, immoral sexual and financial mistreatment of the members just kinda wiped all that nostalgia off the slate for me.

• steve2
    steve2

Yes. I remain unalterably partial to good looking, cleancut, tall, well-built men dressed in tailored suits with crisp white shirt and well-matched tie and black leather nicely buffed shoes.

I estimate that, among the 8 or so million professed JW door-knockers there must be at least a handful of JW males who generously meet those features (I realize there are truckloads of JW males who don't come within a country mile of meeting those features. But if you do, and you're reading this, please Mr JW, please, please knock on my door. Under certain circumstances, I can be impressively obliging.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit