Ayahuasca / DMT.... anyone else curious?

by snare&racket 53 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Space madness, you will just have to wonder &/or disagree. But please do it quietly.

Tik Frankie and Nancy, do you have any experience and what was it like? Was it a dream like state but with more awareness, was it similair to other drug experiences? I would never consume a source of DMT illegally or outside of a designed study etc to be honest, too chicken and I have done enough pharmacology in the lab to know moles matter! Titrate baby!

I am REALLY interested in the neurolgical mechanisms it stimulates, I would love to do a study using functional MRI during an experience and see if I could associate it with memory/input collation during sleep. There has only been a handful of studies as of yet, would be fascinating to explore the biology involved. The fact organisms (including humans) can metabolise and activate DMT channels indicates it has or has had an evolutionary role in nature.

Interesting stuff.

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

@snare

The whole premise of your "research" is flawed. DMT IS NOT RELEASED DURING SLEEP! Furthermore THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT DMT IS PRESENT IN HUMAN BRAINS AT ALL. Every drug user who errornously thought DMT was present in their brain studied every possible way to utilize it naturally. You are not the first person to think of this. This research has been done to death and hasn't yield anything. You personally don't even know enough about DMT or the brain to understand any possible discoveries (I'm basing this on the fact that you thought DMT was present in the brain). If you just want to get high be my guess but you desperately need to educate yourself on DMT.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Phil Drolet, of The Feel Good Lifestyle, just posted about his experience with this. He's on Facebook, if you care to check him out.

• Willow76
    Willow76

Hi snare and racket, I've done about 10 Ayahuasca journeys in the last 6 months and I can tell you why it's illegal, and why there is such strong propaganda/fear mongering about plant medicines being 'dangerous' drugs. Its the govt, big pharmas equivalent to a Jw reading 'apostate' material on the web. If you do it you step out of their carefully constructed matrix.

So anyone commenting on a plant medicine they have not personally experienced, ask yourself where you got you belief from because it wasn't from personal experience. Think how you used to think it was 'kind' to ignore your friend because they were disfellowshipped, because that is what God wanted. You really believed that at one time even though it was complete lunacy.

Stepping out of the JW faith into the world is like getting out of solitary confinement into the prison yard. Your still eating a bullshit diet of lies, you just Have a little more room to explore.

Ayahuasca is a teacher plant, she shows you yourself, all the good and the 'bad' and she often gives you a healthy dose of reality. There are hundreds of thousands of people taking ayahuasca, drachuma, wachuma ALL the time... a properly prescribed drug is more likely to harm you than these plants. However note how many ads on TV are from big pharma and you start to get an idea who owns mainstream media and possibly where your beliefs may have originated.

Ayahuasca cured my 18 months of depression in one night. I went from a very dark space to a place of recurring waves of bliss, this has lasted 6 months.

In regards to the experience, the ayahuasca vine is a purgative. It clears physical, emotional and psychic blocks. The dmt part provides the 'storey'. i usually feel pretty sick in the stomach until I vomit. it takes about 30-45 minutes to kick in. Then im slammed back and the visions take over. I've only just learned to surrender to it which has made it a lot easier. Mostly to start with you fight it which prolongs the struggle. When it gets overwhelming its best to sit up and concentrate on your breath As that can be your only reality as your body seems to fall apart. The medicine moves through you like a snake re calibrating your DNA (if your ready). You can feel it like tiny pinpricks or vibrations, nothing hurts but your mind may tell you it hurts because your mind is terrified of it. When you learn to shut your mind off then the fear goes and you enjoy.

This is the part that is the hardest as we've all been brainwashed into thinking we are our mind and to let go of control of the mind would be death, so you think you are dying. You are not. Ayahuasca has never killed anyone. It's the ego that is being killed off And this is beautiful and healing. The time it takes is different every journey, and everyone has entirely different journeys and no two journeys are alike. You NEVER know what to expect. A ceremony usually lasts 5 or more hours. afterward when you share with the others you cannot believe the love and gratitude of everyone. Ayahuasca mainly focuses on bringing out the love inside us, and fronting our shadows and fears so we realise they're not real, just beliefs handed to us by someone else. So one of the biggest benefits of ayahuasca is the lose of fear which strangles your capabilities with self doubt etc.

after 6 months of taking ayahuasca once a month my husband and I shut up shop in Australia and moved to Peru. We are in Pisac in the sacred valley and there are at least 200-300 people from all over the world taking ayahuasca regularly here and they are the most warm, friendly, loving, generous people I have ever met... And I'm from Byron bay which has an excellent reputation for friendly people.

Ayahuasca raises consciousness which is love knowing we're all one, it removes fear, it opens your mind to great possibilities, it usually moves you to learn to sing or play an instrument and to start some form of art. It makes you generous because you now understand that the universe is abundant and what you give always comes back. It's teachings perfectly align with the great master Jesus Christ.

blessings in your research beautiful one, but go with a facilitator who has an excellent reputation, and don't do on your own. It's a spiritual experience and needs a sacred pure heart to hold the space for you as you are inexperienced. Come to Pisac and sit with Diego Palmer. We have a spare room. xxxxxx

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Always curious.

Phae

• galaxie
    galaxie

Sounds a trip man, lets recommend it to all and sundry. By the way I hear heroin is ablast as well..At what age would you recommend kida have ago as it sounds really beneficial....GET REAL IF YOU HAVE A MEDICAL NEED CONSULT A DOCTOR

• KateWild
    KateWild

I would never consume a source of DMT illegally or outside of a designed study -snare

I think that is very responsible, the right setting is key. If scientists are trying to find out whether or not it has healing properties and you want to be part of that study then that sounds reasonable.

The more I hear about it the more I feel I don't want to take it. The fact that it's a five hour trip is unappealing to me, willow stated she vomitted, that is a red flag for me. i am going to steer clear of this.

Kate xx

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

If this drug was developed what sort of conditions could it be used to treat? MS, epilepsy, what?

Anything like medical cannabis?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Space Madness, go argue on your own, you are just being confrontational. This is not a debate its a chat. Nobody is promoting it as a treatment and there is science and research into its role in sleep and medicine whether you knew it or not.

" After a pause of nearly 40 years in research into the effects of psychedelic drugs, recent advances in our understanding of the neurobiology of psychedelics, such as lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), psilocybin and ketamine have led to renewed interest in the clinical potential of psychedelics in the treatment of various psychiatric disorders. Recent behavioural and neuroimaging data show that psychedelics modulate neural circuits that have been implicated in mood and affective disorders, and can reduce the clinical symptoms of these disorders. These findings raise the possibility that research into psychedelics might identify novel therapeutic mechanisms and approaches that are based on glutamate-driven neuroplasticity."

Nature Reviews Neuroscience 11 , 642-651 (September 2010) | doi :10.1038/nrn2884

Sleep.... we know seretonin is involved, we know DMT alters seretonin levels, there is research showing its interaction with REM sleep. Whether we are metabolising DMT to increase 5HT in REM sleep is EXACTLY what I want to know.

"Results show that daytime serotonergic psychedelic drug administration leads to measurable changes in PSG and sleep power spectrum and suggest an interaction between these drugs and brain circuits modulating REM and SWS."

Psychopharmacology February 2008, Volume 196, Issue 2, pp 315-326

WILLOW: There are studies on psychadelics indicating their medical use in addictions, anxiety and depression. Interesting stuff. Stigma and ignorance is holding back research, it would be interesting to see the potential for such chemicals. I am sure in the future, at the very least there will be more research. But I do think it should become more scientific and less anecdotal, just because its the best method of assessment. It is important to say willow that even though there is research confirming the relation to mood states, we just don't know enough yet.

"The present study investigated the effects of ayahuasca in anxiety, hopelessness and panic-like measures through a double-blind protocol in Santo Daime members. Acute ingestions of the brew significantly attenuated hopelessness and panic-like parameters as detected by BHS and ASI-R psychometric scales, respectively.

Taking into account this indirect agonist action of ayahusca at the monaminergic system, including the noradrenergic but preferentially the serotonergic system, we might speculate that the reduction of BHS and ASI-R psychometric parameters observed in the present study were mediated at least in part by this mechanism. This suggestion is supported by the fact that the majority of antidepressant/antipanic drugs also enhance noradrenergic and serotonergic functions, either inhibiting noradrenalin and serotonin reuptake, such as the tricycle antidepressants, or selectively inhibiting serotonin reuptake, such as the widely used selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors."

Journal of Ethnopharmacology Volume 112, Issue 3, 25 July 2007, Pages 507–513.

Anyone with psych issues may come to harm, as with many drugs including psychadelics. Anecdotal evidence and ayahuasca/ dmt experiences are becoming more common and recreational, hence why we need more real research so that the only source is not the internet and word of mouth. Obviously, taking psychadelic drugs is unadvisable medically, but in the REAL WORLD people do take it and I am interested in what people have experienced. Documentaries on NETFLIX and well known interviews mentioned here are being discussed and listened to. Stigma and ignorance may force research into the hands of the unqualified and that is dangerous.

Snare

• KateWild
    KateWild

" Results show that daytime serotonergic psychedelic drug administration leads to measurable changes in PSG and sleep power spectrum and suggest an interaction between these drugs and brain circuits modulating REM and SWS."-snare

This is interesting I had to look up all the abbreviations to really understand it, I am not sure I have grasped it fully though. Does this mean scientists are looking at DMT to be used as a sedative to help people sleep, like valium?

Thanks snare for the interesting thread.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit