Evidence of Jesus being Married?

by cantleave 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LV101
    LV101

I absolutely agree - Jesus Christ Superstar is way more entertaining than the Bible.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

"Brown University Professor Leo Depuydt, in an analysis also published Thursday by the Harvard Theological Review, remains unconvinced and argues the text contains grammatical errors that a native Coptic speaker would not make."

Well, perhaps a native Coptic speaker didn't write the document.

What possible difference does it make whether Jesus was married or not, or whether he had brothers or sisters? We are all children of God and we marry. Jesus was the only begotten Son of the Father. If we discovered evidence that Jesus was married, would that cause Christianity to collapse??

Mary was certainly one of Jesus' main confidants, and there were times when the apostles were clearly agitated because Jesus showed more of a deference to her than them (according to a number of apocryphal documents). The scripture states: "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." (Romans 8:16-17) Thus, despite what the Watchtower authorities say, becoming angels in heaven is nothing compared to this exalted potential. My point is that if we marry, and yet have the potential to become like Christ, then why couldn't Christ have been married? Paul also wrote: "Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they." (Hebrews 1:4)

So when Jesus said that there is no marriage or giving in marriage in the resurrection, this didn't mean that there would be no marriage in Heaven, but that marriages themselves couldn't happen in the resurrection; they have to happen either in this life or before the resurrection. Thus, if Jesus were to have a spouse in the world to come, he would have had to sanctify that marriage before his resurrection. It might also be the reason that Mary was the first one he appeared to after his resurrection.

• cofty
    cofty

Mormon cult bullshit alert!

• Laika
    Laika

So when Jesus said that there is no marriage or giving in marriage in the resurrection, this didn't mean that there would be no marriage in Heaven, but that marriages themselves couldn't happen in the resurrection; they have to happen either in this life or before the resurrection.

That's not a very objective reading cold steel, no more marriage for anyone in the resurrection is exactly what Jesus meant. Your Mormon eisegesis interpretation still leaves the exact problem the sadducees raised in the first place.

• cantleave
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Jesus Christ, Superstar, Godspell, and the Last Temptation of Christ may be better sources. The authors of these works immersed themselves in the gospels to write the plays/novel/film. I once knew the author of Godspell. They did not just sit down and write with no research. The Bible is only a bunch of writings endorsed by a Roman emperor for overtly political reasons. There are other sources that are just as early and authoritative. See the Gnostics, Nag Hammadi.

Besides referencing other gospels, the Roman and Orthodox churches have many legends. Some of which may have taken place. I refuse to live in a JW ignorant world and use the Bible, poorly translated and murdering the English language, as a sole source of belief. I love JC, Superstar. The songs go through my head. Saw three Broadway productions. The Bible is very limited. Also, it contains no histories of the first century.

No, I spent years studying the proper way. You sound just like the Witnesses with only reading WT literature. Altho I had access to some superstars in the field for a while, I learned the most about Christianity from speaking with well-educated Jewish people. It is a fact that most of Christianity is based on political accomodations and legend. No one is rejecting the Bible but to use it as your only source and to view it as God magic is ignorant.

I notice there is also a pattern to bad translations of the Bible and fundamentalism. Most Christians are NOT fundamentalists.

• KateWild
    KateWild

This is evidence that someone wrote about Jesus having a wife 800 years after Jesus died. Whether or not Jesus had a wife is just speculation. I believe a charasmatic man existed that many people wrote about and talked about. The bible states he performed miracles, that too is speculation, there is no evidence to support this.

If one believes Jesus performed miracles, belief comes from faith that what the bible says is true.

Kate xx

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

That evidence is filed right next to Obama's birth certificate.

• metatron
    metatron

http://ntweblog.blogspot.com/2006/03/did-jesus-have-house-in-capernaum.html

Jesus owned a home.

As for the married part, I always wondered about this. The lack of sexual behavior reported in Jesus' life was doctrinally bizarre. You have the Son of God supposedly tested thru the whole human experience but no sex.

What's the most prominent big sin category amidst Christians? Sex, sex, sex.....

This omission - in which no explanation is even attempted in the Gospels - should cause people to question their accuracy. To me, it's just too glaring.

metatron

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Don't start the birther crap. Racist!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit