Want to know why people accept evolution ?

by snare&racket 84 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
  • snare&racket
    snare&racket

have a go disposable hero .....

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

So are there specific fossil examples following the process of one species into another?

THis is a common misconception. There are no such fossils. The mutations which cause the changes happens gradually over very long periods of time, so when you observe them, they all seem like small changes within one specie.

Sometimes skeptics expect to see a fossil of a fly on one layer of sediment, followed by a fossil of a small donkey with wings on the next layer of sediment and finally a fossil of a donkey on the next layer of sediment. This is not how it works.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Many creationists claim that there is no real evidence of evolution. Creationists also seem to think that the claimed evidence is limited to fossil finds. Can you give a brief listing of the multiple and varied forms of evidence all pointing back to and corroborating evolution?

• jgnat
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Definition? Hoo boy. Tiny changes or mutations that prove beneficial to its host, allowing it to survive and breed and pass on to its offspring. Millions of years later we have ipads and cotton buds. I understand that it's not one thing becoming all things in a chain from birds to lizards to monkeys to us, rather mutations branching out in all directions until speciation occurs, is that right? I am SO ignorant about this. I apologise. But maybe me appearing stupid publicly might help someone else in the same boat. Or ark.

• cofty
    cofty

How about something like...

The differential survival of alleles in a gene pool.

Variation in alleles are caused by random mutations: differential survival by non-random selection.

Changes in the genotype result in corresponding changes in the phenotype leading eventually to speciation.

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

@metatron now that's my kind of "new light"

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Woah cofty, too many big words, window cleaner no understandy!

• cofty
    cofty

Hero - Here you go...

A gene is a sequence of DNA letters that code for a particular protein - to be more accurate sequences of 3 letters, known as codons, code for one of 20 amino acids which link together like oddly shaped widgets to form larger protein molecules.

An allele is a particular version of a gene. Let's say in a sequence of DNA a letter G accidently gets substitued for a letter T. Now when it gets transcribed one of the codons will be different and may code for a different amino acid which could result in a slightly different protein. (I say may and could because there is some redundancy built in but that's another post) This altered protein will have a different physical shape which may make it function slightly better as an enzyme - a kind of chemical matchmaker. I will get you an actual specific example later if you like.

Now the old gene and the new version of the gene are competing alleles.

Phenotypes are the bodies that are built of the proteins that are made by the recipe that is the genotype.

The body that is built by the new allele might have slightly faster twitch muscle fibres and be able to run a little bit faster than the ones built by the original gene. If so it has a slighty better chance of reproducing than the older version and so the new allele will eventually become more common in the gene pool than the old one.

This is a woefully simplified explanation but keep reading, Snare has lots more to come.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit