What Is The World View Of America?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

Military Madness Is Killing The Country....Graham Nash

Remember hearing that played on the airflight back from Europe 44 years ago, still rings true.

• barry
    barry

I have respect for America and our political partys do to on bot sides. Australia has a similar history to the states in many ways although we stayed with the Empire.

the foreign policy of the states and here is also very much the same.

The Americans could learn from our Medibank system where everone is covered . Barry

• mynameislame
  • minimus
    minimus

I think that Americans are deeply divided as to whether America is all that it says it is.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

My real opinion is that as an American I really don’t know how good or bad we have it since it is all I know.

My concerns are the debt and what is going to happen when it comes due. We are trillions of dollars in debt and I sure don’t see any benefits from it. We are letting corporations make all the decisions. Despite all the taxes we pay we are pretty much left on our own when we retire.

I can say it is probably one of the best places on earth to be in prison. Not that I have been there either.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I've been inside NYC jails. The inmates are mostly waiting for their trial. If they had money, they could walk. The jails also take inmates convicted, serving a short sentence. They say the state prisons are better. I investigated inmate complaints of brutality during college. We were told to never ask what an inmate did b/c the info was not relevant to our job. 95% of the inmates I met self confessed to me. The US has way too many prisoners. No similar country comes close to our imprisoned. The system itself is lawless.

Investigate any country's history and you will find skeletons. It annoys me when minor countries , such as Canada, has its citiizens ravage the US. We assumed responsibility. The French make me the angriest when they go beyond a certain point. Normandy invasion? Britain conducted itself with great honor during WWII. The French were happy to become Hitler's favorite colony. My gut feelings changed after 9/11. Only an ignorant person can think the US government caused the planes to fly into the buildings. Did the US fail to heed warnings from Russia and other countries? Probably. I was in the WTC four and five times a day. It is about three subway stops from my home. The new building's exterior is impressive.

There is a saying in equity about "clean hands." No country is ideal. Our freedoms were revolutionary.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

I find Americans way more humble than Canadians ( and I am a 10th generation Canadian )

Canadians believe themselves to be "morally superior" and that is annoying and ridiculous.

85% of our prosperity is because Americans buy 85% of what we sell, goods and services.

China, by comparison only buys .1% and we act like the Chinese Communist Dictatorship

is golden. China is brutal to its neighbors, has occupied Tibet fro decades, and kills about

6,000 of its own citizens each year by putting a bullet through their head for petty crimes

and citicizing the Chinese government. China has not invented one thing in over a thousand

years and we all think they are geniuses.

• cofty
    cofty

America still has some serious PR issues in the UK. It was at an all time low during the Bush years but has improved a bit since then.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I love visiting America. I despair at some of the fundie religious views that appear to influence politics, and can't understand why some American's are against health care for all.

LA, Chicago and New York are awesome as are the all the Ex-JWs I have met in the States.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Don't you know the Woody Allen jokes. When he won his first Oscar, his partner wanted to thank the Academy for recognizing a Foreign Film. New Yorkers feel more Euopean than American. Most Americans see NY as an alien culture. I will confess that when I travel in Europe and asked what country I am from, I retort New York.

The only time this changed was after September 11th. New Yorkers talk endlessly about their precious culture. There is culture here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit