Describe What a Jehovah's Witness Elder Is Like

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

minimus:

I would describe the average elder as a company man who may start out being approachable, sympathetic and unbiased, BUT, once he becomes friendly with the clique and the "in crowd" and starts listening to gossip, his attitude changes for the worse towards certain people (single women and people on the fringes).

Splash:

Unfortunately, in too many cases, you are correct. The JW religion is a place where a man who is a nobody in the real world, can feel important. I remember this dawned on me many years ago when I was at a Sunday meeting listening to a visiting speaker.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Virtually every single Elder I've come to know in the past 15-20 years has given off the same vibes - "I have reached the top in the congregation, and I now have authority and position, thanks to my prized title of 'Elder'!"

I don't see Ministerial Servants scurrying around trying to help the elderly with gardening or DIY jobs, but they will 'exert' [suck up] themselves in trying to impress the BOE with more hours in FS and be willing to do any job that the Elders should be doing.

Elders haven't a clue what deep Bible study means, because a bunch of faceless yes-men at HQ have done it all for them!!

If they did serious Bible study, their consciences would make them relinquish their precious title, double-quick!!

Final point: as personally experienced, tell them a Bible truth which 100% highlights the fact that the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" in Brooklyn are blatant LIARS! (the scrolls are opened AFTER Satan is destroyed - not during 1000 year reign!)

The dumbstruck look on the face, and the silence, is a wonderful experience which I will never forget!

Thank you so much "glorious one" & "hiding place from the wind" - enjoy your hour of glory!!!!

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

The problem is most elders start out married with children. That means they work at lease 40 hours a week. Then during that same week they have field service, study, paperwork for the Wt. or KH, getting parts together, public talks on sunday although thats once in awhile, family study, meetings, elder meetings, JC meetings, going out and visit others, spend about 2 mins. with your wife or children. So by the time the weeks over this one elder has put in about 80 hours of work. This is because of the load Wt. puts on them. They have little time for anyone else. Yes they don't do what you think they should. In most cases they can't. The Wt. Cult keeps them so busy they can't think straight and that's for good reason. Elders if they got a chance to stand back and look at things for what they really are they would see the Cult for what it is. Busy work is the way Wt. keeps control over the elders. All your comments on what elders do it true but I hope this gives you all a little insight on why they act like that. Yes there are those who are in it for the power but for the most part I think most just wanted to help and found out they can't because they are only human. The Wt. uses this guilt on those elders to make them do even more. Any way that has been my experience as an elder. Still Totally ADD

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

Great topic Min!

To me it's always been the three P's. Power. Position. Prominence.

As has been noted, people are complicated. Many elders are warm, even sincere in their desire to be a force for good. But in the end it's the three P's that keep them motivated. Ask yourself, why is there so much angst surrounding those that half to "step down?" It's not because there is a shortage of people wanting to fill their shoes. There will never be any vacuum when it comes to people "reaching out."

The angst comes from a loss of the three P's. And what will people think? It's also very interesting that most that quit being elders are not re-appointed.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Searcher: (the scrolls are opened AFTER Satan is destroyed - not during 1000 year reign!)

And they are not "new" scrolls either. Point that out to a JW, that the scripture does not say "new", just "scrolls", and they'll get the same stupid expression on their face.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Pharisee.

Matthew 23 especially v15.

Falsely claims to teach the "Good News" or gospel (evangelize).

Teaches religion instead (proselytize).

Promotes apostate legalism.

Promotes apostate moralism.

Promotes apostate ethnocentrism (doctrinal dissection and supremacy)

Promotes apostate Gnosticism (salvation by supremacist knowledge/intelligence/affiliation)

Denies imputed righteousness.

Denies imputed holiness.

Denies the 5 solas (of the reformation).

Denies that Jesus is the mediator of ordinary R&F (laity class).

https://www.barna.org/barna-update/faith-spirituality/611-christians-more-like-jesus-or-pharisees

• tornapart
    tornapart

@ Still Totally ADD

• minimus
    minimus

Otwo, i think u r sooo rite on.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

two-faced = '' all things to all people"

would sell their grandmother for a "special" assignment = reaching out

would sell anyone down the river in a heartbeat if it means keeping their position = upholding jehovahs sovereignty

it's all about "position position position " = assigning these ones "double honor"

superiority complex = directied by holy spirit

• minimus
    minimus

As was noted, many elders have no skills. They are uneducated. Being an elder is the pinnacle in many men's lives because Head Janitor is not a position that is still available.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit