Describe What a Jehovah's Witness Elder Is Like

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I know what they are supposed to be like. But at this point in time, do you think the elders look joyful? Are they serious bible students? Do they enjoy being elders??

when I was a young elder I was thrilled to help people and be a real Organization man. Of course, I realized, in time, that you can't be a kind hearted elder and still follow Watchtower dictates.

the elders I see now seem to be programmed robots. Pity.

• minimus
    minimus

By the way, certainly not all elders are bad but they sure do seem trained to be without a lot of emotion.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Cold, aloof, judgmental, unfeeling...

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'd say two types at least. I've witnessed the cold company men as you've described (must guard their true feelings from squashing), but also warm salesmen types ("We've missed you at the meetings!"). Always the royal "we".

• minimus
    minimus

The cream of the crop is gone!

• tornapart
    tornapart

My hubby's an elder and he's a good man. Respected and 'approachable'. He goes along with what's asked of him but he does have a conscience and finds some things extremely difficult. He's had many many sleepless nights where he can't tell me what's wrong. Also there is far too much red tape that leaves him little time to do the caring that he wants to do. I would say it's a really thankless job and I wonder why he carries on with it. And so does he sometimes. He's tired and stressed but he feels stepping down will just be letting the others down and be giving them more to do.

• Laika
    Laika

It is always plural 'we' isn't it? So weird.

Most elders hate the job and yet would still fight to the death to keep the position. People are complicated.

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

In my town a few of them are d*cks but the majority are genuin persons who are just as victims of the wts propaganda as we once were. This is the impression that they made in the everyday life. I haven't been in a jc yet, can't say whether they maintain their nice behavior. As forthi one of our CO and one particular elder from my cong: these two I could turture with my apostate speaches all day long. They said I would die at Armageddon if I said even hi to my df-ed mum. This was when I was 14.

Most of the elders I know would be really cool persons if they weren't brainwashed. I have no full insight in their personal life though but I often hear things that shock me

• Splash
    Splash

Many elders have poor education, low paying menial jobs and little else over which to feel respected or successful.

Being an elder is the pinnacle of achievement for some who have nothing else to point at as a measure of success.

No wonder they will cling to it despite it making them ill and destroying their families due to neglect.

Splash.

• scarredforlife
    scarredforlife

I agree with Splash. That has been my observation in the past.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit