Hello, I am new

by LillyC 54 Replies latest jw friends

• LillyC
    LillyC

Hi everyone,

I am not a Jehovah's Witness but I am very interested, I have many questions and hope they can be answered here.

I do believe in God, privately. I do say my prayers daily and do believe God helps me in countless ways. But I don't go to any church.

I have always been impressed at how smart, polite and nice Jehovah's Witnesses are and I always make time to speak to them when they call at my door. We have had many a good discussion and I like the way everything is referenced back to the Bible. To be honest, I envy the serenity and certainty of JWs, yet I have never taken the step of being formally religious at all in my life. However I have a very open mind and lots of things I want to ask about.

I hope it is ok for me to be on here and to get to know people.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome, LillyC, to the forum!

Best wishes.

CoCo

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Welcome. Many of us were there once and made the same observations. Please, do you homework. You can start with jwfacts.com. Ask questions now... You can't ask them later.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Hello LillyC,

A very warm welcome to you!

A great place to learn about Jehovah's Witnesses is: http://www.jwfacts.com/

Enjoy your research and keep an open mind.

Welcome again.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Welcome to the Forum Lily :) I can only echo what the above posters have said.. PLEASE visit jwfacts.com It is accurate, well researched and factual.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Welcome Lilly!

Yes Jehovah's Witnesses are generally very polite when they come uninvited to your door. If you go to one of their meetings you will experience a very enthusiastic welcome. This is what is known as "love bombing."

If you join, you will find the discourage you to limit all association with your current family and any friends that are not Jehovah's Witnesses.

If you ever decide to leave the religion, you will find that all your so-called friends will shun you.

Educate yourself.

Oubliette

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Hi Lilly, dont be impressed by the so called "serenity and certainty" under the cheap suit and false smile is a paranoid/nuerotic problem laden person who could possibly be an abuser or or bully and has had years of mastering the tricks of someone who is a victim from an abusive high control cult, they are definalty not all they seem.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hello and welcome, Lilly.

40-something years ago, I was also impressed with the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I thought they were the most wonderful people, and wanted to be just like them.

Little did I know that they were under the control of the Governing Body of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York!

This body decides what literature the JW's will distribute, which Bible verses will be used in their ministry, even giving instructions on how to dress while in the door-to-door witnessing work.

There is absolutely no freedom to express individual views or research biblical material other than that of the Watchtower.

So, don't let that facade fool you.

Ask questions and check things our for yourself.

I guarantee you that you're in for an eye-opening experience.

Blessings.

Sylvia

• Londo111
    Londo111

Welcome!

JWs can be nice people. Of course, you are seeing the tip of the iceberg, what they want you to see, which may seem harmless. But things are not always what they seem, much is hidden from the public’s sight.

Those who joined the Moonies or the People’s Temple thought the exact same thing about those groups as well. Groups like these give lots of attention toward potential recruits, they give the “outsider” doctrines which are attractive. Slowly over the course of time, as people are indoctrinated they are introduced to “insider” doctrine.

Be sure to get both sides of the story.

• scary21
    scary21

Welcome Lilly, I love an open mind.

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit