Newcomers to TTATT: Beware of "New Study Mode"!

by Londo111 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

The UBm can perhaps be generalised to any worldly people whose family members are recruited - like Faithful Witness

• KateWild
    KateWild

Yes I recall when the penny dropped with me how I needed to have control and strength. It's exciting but also we can get angry that we fell for it. Lots of mixed emotions indeed. Kate xx

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Excellent advice. Exactly what I did, run out and tell my loved ones each piece of information I was learning as I learnt it, and lose them all in the process. It wasn't until I had learnt enough, and was disfellowshipped, that I found out that is the exact opposite of how to leave.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

My own significant other went to the elders on my back to out me as an "apostate", because she honestly thought she was "helping" me...

So yes ... beware of your enthusiasm.

Eden

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Do you remember too how many JW's used to say " I just cannot understand why worldly people cannot see the "truth" "

It is the same for us when we first learn TTATT, we simply cannot understand how JW's cannot see it !

But we do need to be wary, not least because giving too much in one go may well cause them to close their ears to it all.

Just make sure that when the "student is ready", you are there as the "teacher".

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

This has to do with psychology more than facts. A cognitive dissonant person is not able to rational reasoning.

But, one thing that surprises me is that when a JW apologist writes something on this board, he/she gets bombarded with facts about the UN scandal, false prophecies etc........and he'll get scared back to the borg.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Good point Londo!

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Londo, EXACTLY!

UBM is so very correct too. it is a stage we go though and if we can just be helped through that satge before damaging the future communication, the UBM may noy be considered th "opposer"or enemy, ot whatevver else thier minds come up with.

Life with the JW would be so much less of a tormoil....

Information for the UBM is SO very crucial.

• steve2
    steve2

Such a powerful point made in the OP: Often enthusiasm renders people less aware of the impact of the way they convey messages to their target audience. Very few people - including JWs - intend to or want to be off-putting to their target audience - but that is exactly the effect they create unless they become more personally aware of "how" they come across and are prepared to modify their behaviour.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“Dismissing servant”: “. . . when a JW apologist writes something on this board, he/she gets bombarded with facts about the UN scandal, false prophecies etc........and he'll get scared back to the borg.”

That is one possible outcome. The other (desirable) outcome is that the “JW apologist” will get jolted enough by discovering the numerous pieces of information which the WT tries so hard to hide that he/she will be forced to acknowledge it to himself/herself and forced to make a decision in his/her own mind. At least being presented with the facts will allow the “JW apologist” to make some kind of personal decision, because their brain on some level will simply be forced to make some kind of sense of it all. The hope for them is that pure logic will at least eventually win out. After all, much of us folks on here have had to go through such a decision-making phase. And it’s a darn good thing too, because we’re here and able to impart some clarity and contribute some support for each other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit