Newcomers to TTATT: Beware of "New Study Mode"!

by Londo111 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Londo111
    Londo111

We’ve all heard it. A person starts studying with Jehovah’s Witnesses and love what they are learning so much that they can’t stop talking about it. Bubbling with enthusiasm, they spill everything they are learning with their friends and family…or anybody who will listen. Some might listen, most will be mildly annoyed, and on rare occasion it might result in extreme opposition. Bible students sometimes have to be told to curb their enthusiasm, to dial back a notch.

Guess what happens when a person learned the “truth about the truth”? The same thing! A person is bursting with enthusiasm to tell all to those who matter to them the most. Coupled with that, as Jehovah’s Witnesses, it’s been ingrained in us to boldly share what we are learning, especially when the information we have could be potentially life saving and beneficial to the listener. Could TTATT be lifesaving and beneficial? You bet! From medical decisions, to decisions on career, education, marriage, it is a life changing message. We want the people we love to benefit!

Like Jeremiah, such a message can be a fire in the bones and we are unable to endure holding it in. But sometimes people don’t realize the volatile reaction they will received from their loved ones. There will be opposition! And once the genie is out of the bottle, it can never go back. It is a delicate operation, like disarming a bomb. Pull the wrong wire and--boom. There go all your relationships.

Your loved ones have been indoctrinated to immediately report any potentially “apostate” view to the elders. They might even think they are helping you. Pretty soon, you can find yourself on a lone sailboat in the middle of a hurricane.

It is easy to say, “Not my loved one!” Unfortunately, you are not the first one to think that, nor are you the last.

It is not to say that we should not try to help those we care about. But we need to be patient and intelligent how we go about it.

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Great post. I like to compare it with a game of Chess - strategic moves all the way. Take your time!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Great advice!

• BU2B
    BU2B

Great Post Londo, and so true. Something to remember.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

It is not just JWs learning TTATT who behave in this way. UBMs may start from relative ignorance about the organisation, thinking it is an out there religion which is basically benign. But after a while the UBM starts to see the toxicity and then they do some research on the internet and learn TTATT and immediately want to share it with the indoctrinated spouse only to find not only that she/he does not want to hear but that they then start sticking labels like 'Opposer' on the UBM and then the UBM finds that his/her loved one is treating them as the enemy and closing their ears to anything the UBM says about the org. So we all learn the hard way.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I do wonder if it is helpful for newcomers to self-impose a moratorium on helping their loved ones until the initial wave of zeal is on the wane. Of course, I know all too well that it is not always possible to talk a person down when they are gung-ho intent on doing so.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

very true, its exactly like the original Bible Study your own self was some time before, your exuberance at seeing the prospect of a new world! the resurection! wild animals becoming tame! I wished someone had pulled me to one side and had a quiet word in my lug hole! I wonder how the path of my life would have been?

• Watchtower-Free
  • ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

This is such an excellent post Londo!! May I translate it and post it on a Spanish exJW site? You'd get the credit, of course. Londo from jwstruggle...

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

And may I modify it just a bit to add the UBM part? Frazzled do I have your permission?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit