Newcomers to TTATT: Beware of "New Study Mode"!

by Londo111 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Londo111
    Londo111

Of course you may translate it. No need to credit me.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

IMHO it is best to extensively research the WTBTS's (and, when applicable, other dangerous cult's) history, doctrines, and BITE control techniques before helping people to critically think for themselves.

Cognitive dissonance is difficult to overcome, because people like to feel special and unique, and do not like to feel stupid. Dangerous cults like to love-bomb new recruits to make them feel special and unique, so it is best to tell new recruits about TTATT before the love bombing overcomes all skepticism and to tell old members after they have been whipped too much by the leaders.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Becoming aware of the realities of the Organization, it's history and the origins of our beliefs is a very emotionally charged situation.

That opens up the danger of spreading the 'new' truth. I rattled the cages of a few family members in the beginning ... now I accept that everyone has to do this on their own.

Stopping the thought and behavior patterns I learned growing up as a Witness is the most difficult thing to accomplish.

ginger

• SAHS
    SAHS

“ABibleStudent”: “. . . it is best to tell new recruits about TTATT before the love bombing overcomes all skepticism and to tell old members after they have been whipped too much by the leaders.”

Good point. If it’s possible to discreetly pass appropriate warning information to people in the early process of recruitment/indoctrination, I think that it would be a good and unselfish idea. It would be sort of like throwing a bucket of cold water on the person to wake him/her up and make him/her think twice about what he/she is thinking of getting himself/herself into. After all, it would be a kindness to warn someone of the real dangers of getting into such a dishonest and high-control group as the Watchtower religion. I mean, if it were you or me, whether it was the JWs we were starting to get sucked into or some other kind of misleading or dangerous scheme, wouldn’t we come to appreciate someone trying to let us see the whole picture – before it was too late?

• tornapart
    tornapart

Yes it's so true Londo.... at first you want everyone to know but it's dangerous. If you want to keep your relationships you have to go painfully slowly. In time, even if you can't change what they believe at least they come to accept and respect your new beliefs. But it takes tact, discernment and infinite patience. It feels impossible sometimes but it is do-able. Even then sometimes you can 'drop the bomb'!

• suavojr
    suavojr

Thanks Londo for this post! That is why we need to take it slow, we cannot think our loved ones will not turn us in because they love us. We can't forget that at some point we would have done the same thing.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

LOL @ Tornapart! Knowledge bombs are NOT popular!

DD

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wow!

So very true!!!

thanks for the restraining advice. I hadn't thought of it like that until you drew the comparison!

i have been dropping comments to ones that I think are inclined to wake up, but I notice that one is now aux pioneering, so clearly I read them wrongly! I will remember to pace myself and be oh so very careful......

great advice, that once the genie is out of th bottle it can't get put back. Or as someone said, once something is said, it can't easily be unsaid!

• smiddy
    smiddy

Very sound advice Londo111 , great post.

smiddy

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

ILoveTTATT - very happy for you to translate the UBM bit into Spanish. No need to give any credit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit