Newcomers to TTATT: Beware of "New Study Mode"!

by Londo111 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Londo111 - "Guess what happens when a person learned the “truth about the truth”? The same thing! A person is bursting with enthusiasm to tell all to those who matter to them the most."

Funny...

...I must have been an exception (that proved the rule?); when I started putting together TTATT, I had almost the opposite inclination, 'cause I immediately grasped that the vast majority of rank-and-filers (in my congo, at least) would never be able to handle what I'd figured out and would have ostracized me unquestionably if I'd talked about it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

SAHS - "The other (desirable) outcome is that the 'JW apologist' will get jolted enough by discovering the numerous pieces of information which the WT tries so hard to hide that he/she will be forced to acknowledge it to himself/herself and forced to make a decision in his/her own mind."

Shock therapy, huh?

I've been here some time, now, and while it's not really the way I personally do things, I must concede that overall, it does seem to have a measure of impact...

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Nope SAHS, in that case if would be good tellinb our relatives and friends in the borg TTATT, and you know it is not. You will never reach a cult member with facts. That's tyhe case with family, and that's the case with JW-posters here. It's the same kind of cognitive dissonance. Confrontation always makes a cultist defent the cult teachings. For a cult meber his life depends on defending those dogma. One must get him out of the "cult self" to communicate with him.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Excellently put together, and needs to be said. Yes, how do we put the genie back in the bottle once it is out?

• Laika
    Laika

'not my loved ones' - so true, I really believed the people I cared about would be different. Nope, not in the slightest, they haven't listened to me at all.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Of course they don't listen.In their minds they think you are going to destroy their chanses of pettin pandas in eternity. Why on earth should they listen to facts? Facts doesn't promise eternal life. Facts just scare the sh*t out of them. Thats the core of cognitive dissonance.

This is important for all "apostates" to understand

• SAHS
    SAHS

“Dismissing servant”: “Facts just scare the sh*t out of them. Thats the core of cognitive dissonance.”

Unfortunately, I must say that you are right in that respect. Although logic is at the forefront of humanity’s spectacular physical achievements and emperical scientific knowledge, it is apparently the emotional part of the brain’s functioning (i.e., lower-order, primal, and often somewhat nonesensical cognitive functioning) which actually ends up winning out and getting the upper hand. I learned fairly recently from a documentary relating to the brain that we may think that it is the logical, prefrontal cortex that is “running the show,” but, in fact, it is really the emotional components and systems (such as the limbic system, the fear-based amygdala, the hippocampus, etc.) which actually drive us. And often these emotional elements – the fight/flight survival response, the libido drive – override and win out over logic and self-restraint.

In the case of the JW promoter, the compulsion to be part of the group and seek its approval, as well as the fanciful desire to actually live forever petting those panda bears with their resurrected loved ones, tries to stifle the logical reasoning and comparison skills of the emperical part of the brain.

Sometimes, though, there can eventually be a break between logic and emotion, which can allow the facts to come pouring in – and be acknowledged. This certainly can, and does, happen. After all, it DID happen to many of us.

• Make Lemonade
    Make Lemonade

This is absolutely a subject that will be ongoing for us all. We are and have been discussing issues with elders, friends, and family. My wifes' mother decided to shun her months ago. One main reason was my wife saying she hoped Candice Conti wins her case because it will help other victims. Big mistake for keeping up a long term relationship with devote JWS.

Some succesful conversations are started with questions that we do not answer. Who are the two witnesses in Rev 11:3?. What did the Bible students believe about 1914? What does the Chryler emblem have in common with the "Finished Mystery" book? Have you ever considered what Jeremiah 52:28-30 says when learning how the 70 years were fullfilled ? Have you ever heard that each creative day was 7,000 years long?

We have great discussions when we do not force or preach.

Londo you have been a great help to me and my family. Thanks

• Londo111
    Londo111

Thank you. We are all going through some intense drama in our lives and we definitely all need each other’s mutual support. Only the ex-JW community can understand what we are going through.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

SAHS - "Sometimes, though, there can eventually be a break between logic and emotion..."

That loud snap you just heard was the sound of my mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit