A medieval question for you, if you believe in god....

by snare&racket 55 Replies latest jw friends

• bemused
    bemused

Island Man - completely agree. My Catholic schoolteachers fully accepted that omnipotence did not mean that God was totally unbounded, it was more that God could do anything he chose to do. I recall one example they used was that God could not make something that was both entirely white and entirely black, but he would have no reason or desire to do so, having himself created the laws of the universe which made such a thing impossible.

I'm an atheist too but I don't think arguments of this nature are going to dissuade believers.

• humbled
    humbled

It is a mind game to no purpose if WE are the ones posing such questions--"can God make something that is entirely white and entirely black?"

But the Christian religion has invented a God whose story demands we entertain this non-sense. They creat this nutty scenarios.

The story of Abraham sacrificing Isaac is a gross violation of three key biblical restrictions God put on himself: He can't lie, He never tries/tempts us with evil, and the sacrificial burning of humans as worship is abhorrent to Him.

But we have to read Genesis 22 and believe that god didn't lie, tempt his friend with an evil that he condemns. The all loving, all knowing , all powerful god.

I grant that believers don't discuss this stuff to examine their faith. Theologians spin ever more tangled webs to hold us--prwtty much expecting us to belief black is white---or to say "He could make a thing all black and all white at the same time--if he wants to. He's God."

Love is what gets god in trouble. He has all that power--he got rid of Mary's ability to sin from the get-go (according to the Immaculate Conception), so why didn't do that for Eve? for us?

Christianity made these impossible claims, posed these dilemmas,told these cock-and-bull stories. We didn't.

• caliber
    caliber

Heisenberg came to the conclusion that quantum events cannot be predicted, all freed electrons behave as if they are

being influenced by outside variable or force... uncertainty principal. Therefore even science recognizes an outside force.

Therefore it all comes down to the will of God. There is power and force (influence ) beyond the created universe.

The will or power of God is only limited by his desired final outcome of things.

Is 40: 26

My question is ..why do men to such lengths in attempt to put would be physical limits on a spiritual being ?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The concept of a God that doesn't fit the "omnipotent" trait simply means that God is much different than humans have imagined him to be. Personally, I don't have any issues with a God that is neither omnipotent, omnipresent or omniscient.

Eden

• Viviane
    Viviane

Omnipotent as used of God does not mean there is absolutely nothing that he is incapable of doing. It simply means that he is the most powerful.

Omni means "all", not "the most".

It just seems to me that the paradox reaks of smart alec technicality capitalizing on the fact that omnipotent is somewhat of a misnomer.

That would be a surprise to the religions that subscribe the "all powerful" view of God.

Heisenberg came to the conclusion that quantum events cannot be predicted, all freed electrons behave as if they are

being influenced by outside variable or force... uncertainty principal. Therefore even science recognizes an outside force.

That's not at all what the uncertainty principle says....

• cofty
    cofty

Personally, I don't have any issues with a God that is neither omnipotent, omnipresent or omniscient.

That's like saying your friend is a married bachelor.

• caliber
    caliber

VIVian..Please define what your understanding of the uncertianty principle means to you, in simple terms then that I can understand then

• Viviane
    Viviane

Caliber, you have internet access and google. Do your own homework.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

As some others have stated, the question is absurd, but it does have an answer. Obviously the answer is yes. God can choose to limit himself in any way he desires, such as deciding that he will not be able to lie, or deciding to confine himself to some rule of the universe he created, like gravity. There's no paradox here.

• caliber
    caliber

Viviane .. If my statement about uncertianty principle is clearly wrong.. simple state where that is

What is it you seen at a mere glance that makes the statement wrong but now is too difficult to explain ?

I do not claim deep scientific skill or knowledge... to infer my statement as false would seem to indicate that you

at least beleive that you have more understanding in this field than me ... what did I miss, what did I state that is untrue ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit