Replacing Guy Pierce—how big is the pool from which to choose?

by L3G 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Does Brother Baltasar Perla partake of the emblems? Well, he had better start. He's the closest thing the Spanish hermanos have to a GB member.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Definately nobody who got a higher education. I would think that would be a no no for and future choice to fill GP shoes.

• LogCon
    LogCon

Hopefully someone who knows the difference between express and espresso

or

someone who's not always talking about some minor part he had in some Asian war or talking about dead bodies looking like burned hot dogs.

• LogCon
    LogCon

Multiple choice test for future GB member.

1- What does express mean?

a: A strong coffee brewed by forcing steam under pressure

b: convey (a thought or feeling) in words or by gestures and conduct

c: a former laundry worker

• belbab
    belbab

The Watchtower heavies have been advertising for new anointed ones for some time now, at least from six years ago. A poster called Cyberguy pointed out a strange, puzzling quotation from the Watchtower mag, to which I replied here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/social/current/153098/1/WT-Orchestrates-annual-anointed-numbers

The numbers of the "anointed" have been increasing for a number of years. The WT orchestrated this increase.

belbab

• L3G
    L3G

Thanks JustVisiting. I never heard of him either. Here's what I found online about the guy.

1. JakeM2012 on jehovahs-winess.com posted the 2013 World Wide Report:

On Wednesday, 30 October, 2013, the US Bethel family enjoyed the following report by Brother Baltasar Perla, member of the USA Branch Committee.

2013 World Wide Report given at Morning Worship:

[then the typical blah, blah, blah stuff. It was also posted here by JakeM 4 months ago.]

Then this from the official website:

2. A GOOD REPORT FROM MEXICO

The first part on the program exemplified the unity of Jehovah’s people. Baltasar Perla interviewed three fellow members of the Mexico Bethel family regarding the merger of six Central American branch offices with the Mexico branch. Because of this merger, the Bethel family in Mexico has become more multicultural and international. The influx of fellow believers from different lands has resulted in an interchange of encouragement. It is as if God took a huge eraser and eliminated national borders.

3. On 26 June 2013 he gave the funeral talk in English for Charlotte Schroeder, wife of past GB member Albert Schroeder. She died on 19 June. He's got to be a trusted Bethel heavy to get that job, as well as be a good speaker.

4. From what's been uploaded on various hosts, he must be used to give many WT talks in Spanish. They're using him of late like they did Sanderson, so if he's anointed…

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF HE PARTAKES? MAYBE THEY REALLY ARE INTERESTED IN APPOINTING A SPANISH BRO. FROM LATIN AMERICA.(??)

Anyone in the know want to say more about Perla?

And R_O, regarding Herd. For certain the facial hair is cool! Is he now the oldest GB member? Various reports have him as the least influential.

Apognophos, why would you be shocked if Friedman got appointed? Do you think he's too nice a guy? I hear that Sanderson and Jackson are supposed to be nice guys. Let us know your insights, please.

Oubliette, agreed! Wasn't Gangas supposed to be Greek? and Potzinger was German? Was Lloyd Barry a Brit or Aussie (like Jackson is)? Isn't Losch Austrian? Anybody Canadian been there? There's no doubt that it's been a "European stock" leadership thing.

Thanks to all for the input...

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I just meant I'd be shocked because he's someone I'm a little familiar with and it would be surreal seeing him on the GB.

Friedman seemed nice, but also kind of weird in a way that seemed harmless enough (well, he is a partaker). I don't know how much of a hardliner he is. If you search for his name on here, you'll see a thread where a few of us reminisce on his famous "Don't Watch 'Titanic'" talk. Personally I don't consider that stance to be overly strict for a JW. Perhaps some others here were elders who had him visit their cong. and could say more about him.

I would imagine that, although he's probably not a cold-hearted guy, he is devoted enough that he is not going to rock the boat if he joins the GB. Pierce was also a nice guy from what I could see. He was very grandfatherly, but also very much a wisecracker. You knew that every time he was at the lectern he was going to say something to make people chuckle. But he probably still upheld the various hardline stances of the JWs (not that we really know what happened behind closed doors).

I think there's a divide in anyone high up like that, between their own personality and the role they play in the organization as a facilitator. Notice how even Ray Franz upheld various teachings that he didn't agree with, while he was on the GB.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Apognophos, did you know him when you were younger? I guess Friedman grew up near Boston; his father was a doctor, if I recall correctly. Apparently he was quite the hell-raiser growing up-- racing cars, etc...then suddenly got serious about The Truth TM . My interactions with him didn't occur until much later when he was a regular on the CA/DA programs.

I'd be curious to read the "Don't Watch the Titanic" thread you mentioned...I'll see if I can find it (unless someone can post a link).

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The brief discussion was here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/194473/10/Who-Are-Your-Past-Circuit-Overseers-Its-a-small-world#.UyydWYXDVHc

I didn't know him when he was younger. He visited my hall when he was a CO and I worked with him in service, but that's just about it.

• L3G
    L3G

Apognophos,

This is choice:

I think there's a divide in anyone high up like that, between their own personality and the role they play in the organization as a facilitator. Notice how even Ray Franz upheld various teachings that he didn't agree with, while he was on the GB.

Very insightful... TYVM!

It reminds me of an experience on our BOE. One of its members, clearly the most intelligent, well-balanced, kind, and experienced elder (let's call him CV), fell afoul of powerful elders locally and out-of-town over a complex and nasty business matter. The guy had been a real heavy in the org, was tight with multiple members of the GB, etc. The cong PO (pre-COBE days) was good-hearted and harmless, but quite limited. Prior to CV's trouble (he'd been removed with possible judicial action pending), the PO had always just gone to CV, asked him what to do in any congregational matter, and taken his advice. I knew of no exception to this. But when this trouble began to brew, the PO was, like you described, divided. On the one hand, he knew CV very well, had always counted on him, knew CV had far more knowledge than he had himself, humbly considered CV his vast superior, and knew too that CV had never let him down. He found it hard to believe that CV could be guilty of what he'd been accused of. It was painfully amusing to see the dissonance going on in the PO's head. The poor guy, loveable as he was, was at a complete loss. Yet because he was pushed to the wall, not being able to figure out what was really going on in this case, he did what every good and loyal JW does in such a circumstance. He thought, "Well, I don't really understand all this, but one thing I know: Jehovah ultimately deals with me one way I can count on—thru his organization. I'll suspend my own thinking here and just do what I am told [by the CO and Brooklyn]." As you put it, the role he was playing in the org as facilitator. Of course, I've seen this multiple times before and since, but for some reason that experience came to mind.

So what did Friedman say about the moive Titanic? I'm probably not the only one wondering now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit