Replacing Guy Pierce—how big is the pool from which to choose?

by L3G 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• L3G
    L3G

respectful_observer's thread on Guy Pierce's death,

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/277198/1/Heard-a-rumor-Guy-Pierce-died-this-morning#.Uyq-Pv21x1N

got me thinking. Some replies there brought up replacement possibilities. That makes me wonder whether they will want to replace him or just go on with 7 GB members, especially with their "helpers." After all, Jaracz went on with a dwindling number while GB 1.0 were dying off. He only began to find replacements after the number got pretty tiny and all his GB enemies were gone.

It also makes me wonder, if they are looking for others who would help them share the work load, how big the pot is of individuals from which they could draw new members. It cannot be large. Many of us know that often those who partake are viewed as strange or marginal, have mental issues, etc. In spite of the recent uptick in memorial partakers, the real number of potential replacement candidates grows smaller every year. respectful_observer mentioned Joel Friedman, a name I've never heard. The only substantial hit on google about him is a past post here. 5 years ago Seeker4, a member since 2001 with over 3200 posts but whose last post was 2 years ago, stated this in a thread on "anointed ones in your congo":

Joel Friedman, an elder in the Bennington, VT congregation and last I heard a CO. Hot shot younger elder, up and coming and a company man at the time. Acted very humble, but I agree with the comment above that there is a highly inflated sense of self-importance going on in someone deciding that god has suddenly picked them out of the 6 billion to rule with him.

Some years back I knew a local brother who was not unstable or a weirdo, just a normal married elder with kids, who began partaking after years of not doing so. He was very down to earth and a humble guy. I remember how peeved he was at the hypocrisy of the org's leadership (for example, not admitting their responsibility for the 1975 debacle), even though, of course, he was still loyal to it. But since he never pioneered at length or went into other full-time work, he would never be considered for an appointment to the GB. There is an established practice of considering for GB membership only those men who have been in the full-time service for many years and been unquestionably loyal to the previous and ongoing policy makers. Therefore, in the case of Friedman, the principle of not appointing a newly converted man may be at work in the power structure's minds. He may have to prove his loyalty for more years… My google search also reports that a man with this name has been living in NYC. Is Friedman at Bethel and if so, is he still there?

There was considerable rumour among R&F Bethelites prior to Mark Sanderson's appointment to the GB that he would be next. He had the credentials mentioned above. Forum member Neo posted this 8 years ago when Anthony Morris and Geoffrey Jackson were appointed to the GB:

"Tony" and "Jeff" were already considered "Governing Body material" because they were GB assistants in Bethel and "partake" of the "Memorial".

So then, since there are so many members at this forum with connections among those still in, or members who themselves are still in, what's the word? Who might be up for consideration? Friedman? Other partakers with more years of loyalty, perhaps in countries outside the USA (like G. Jackson was)?

Maybe one of the reasons they're so convinced that the end must come soon is that there are so few anointed left who meet their criteria for serving on the GB!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I imagine that under Ted Jaracz, the standard ploy was to look at the kiss-ass "helpers" and start a campaign amongst GB members to continually approach the most kiss-ass ones to tell them that they have prayed over the matter and they feel that [you, my brother] must be one of the anointed and "it's clear that Jehovah wants us to consult with you."

They probably have been grooming half a dozen men since Ted Jaracz died, but only promote when necessary because they enjoy the ass-kissing so much.

• sir82
    sir82

I have long suspected that if/when the GB is looking for replacements, someone of the GB "whispers in the ear" of a company man, something like "Y'know, Brother Brown-noser, it's a shame you aren't anointed, otherwise, you would be of real service to us. Are you sure you aren't anointed <wink wink>?"

And then, after they start partaking, they get appointed as a GB "helper", an apprenticeship / internship of sorts, to see how truly committed they are. If they pass the test, "Welcome to the GB!"

All this is pure unadulterated 100% speculation on my part, but it does resolve the issue of "If the GB is convinced that virually all of the 12,000+ partakers are mentally and/or emotionally ill, how is it there can be new GB members?"

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Here's a little theory about how the GB selections go down and how that contributes to there being little to no substantive change.

First let's assume GB members are appointed on a 2/3 majority vote basis. Let's also assume that there are important changes that are being held back because a 2/3 majority hasn’t been achieved. That's akin to giving the 1/3 minority a veto. The minority could similarly exercise such a veto if they had reason to suspect a new GB member would not side with them on contentious issues.

So there's gridlock until the 1/3 minority feels sufficiently secure that a potential new GB member will side with them in preserving the status quo. Perhaps little heart-to-heart talks with short-list members every now and then to get their view on things. Therefore, nothing really new is ever introduced.

Hence, slow death by bureaucratic asphyxiation is the likely outcome for the group.

• Ding
    Ding

Wouldn't it be fun if they unknowingly appointed someone who posts regularly on JWN?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Ding that would be like a twilight zone episode wouldn't it? Talk about hooked and becoming obsessed with the site. This place would blow a gasket ! ha

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

When they appoint a new one,what colour is the smoke from the chimney ?

I think pink would be great.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I'm sure there are others in the mix besides Joel Friedman, but since I'd met him several times in distant years' past, he was most front of mind.

Here is another mention of him (spelled "Freedman") on JWN almost 10 years ago as being on the short list:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/81709/1/Info-about-Governing-Body-required#.UysfefldUYo

A couple of 'anointed' COs--Tony Morris and Joel Freedman (sp?)--got pulled into Bethel within the last couple of years before I left the org. They had been COs for less than ten years at the time, so I'm not sure how much longer they'll have to serve before they're considered for the GB. There's got to be a lot of resentment among the upper echelons at Bethel about young COs getting promoted over their heads just because theyre 'anointed'.

From what I know, they're both pretty hard-line JWs, Freedman more so than Morris. And incidentally, I believe they're both in their 50's now, and received their 'anointings' in the 1970's.

There may be others being groomed, I just know about those two because my family is acquainted with them.

There was a "special" Memorial at an Assembly Hall recently where one of the GB was the speaker; Joel Friedman was also introduced as being from "World Headquarters" and said one of the bread/wine prayers. So, at some level, he's in the wings at Headquarters around the GB.

He's partaken for decades, is an excellent speaker, and comes across as very kind both in person and from stage. Interestingly enough, he only has 1 child, a daughter, who left the Org (maybe 20 years ago?) with her husband not too long after they got married.

• L3G
    L3G

Wow, thanks to the responders for their thoughts. Some are downright funny (OTWO, sir82, NEJ—such practicality!), perhaps because they ARE so likely. Ding, REALLY funny, but totally unreal.

Any more possibilities beside Friedman? He looks more like the most likely candidate now that I've learned he isn't so young and untried. If he is more hardline than Morris, then he must be pretty hardline!

One likely clue: how many anointed have been through their special schools (whatever they're now called. They've multiplied and been renamed so much I can't keep track)? This must a prereq for some to be invited.

Eager to hear from more members. especially from outside the USA...

• suavojr
    suavojr

We need a spanish GB, they have to inject some latin flavor to that old group!!! Amazing how we never have a list of the Minorities

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit