What is the deal with the "this is the last memorial" comments from my JW?

by jambon1 52 Replies latest jw friends

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

"Praying for the end of time"....

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

*** ka chap. 17 pp. 351-352 par. 43 The “Slave” Who Lived to See the “Sign” ***
    The Watch Tower, under date of March 1, 1918, in its first paragraph of the leading article “In Memory of Our King,” said: “Whether the coming Memorial will be the last on earth, we do not, of course, know; but we do know that we are one year nearer the full consummation of our hopes. If it please the Lord to have us celebrate this Memorial other years, then we shall do so gladly.” - Emphasis added

• steve2
    steve2

Will this be the last year to contribute all your available funds for the complex being built at Walkill? We cannot say. No. Beyond any possible doubt, we intend to follow this important construction work, including the loving provision of the Olympic-styled swimming pool, through to completion for dedication in 2017. In the meantime, brothers and sisters, each one must review their consciences to ensure they are doing everything possible to advance kingdom interests (and to ensure there is a steady supply of chlorine to keep the water in the swimming pool clean, clear and apostate-free). Be assured of our Christian love for all of you.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Marked!!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

LOL, Steve2!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Will this memorial be our last? (1 Cor. 11:26) We do not know"

Or if you rephrase it " We do not know if this will be our last" . Isn't that something like they always say? or at least "We do not know how many more". It is my guess that the thoughtless comment was put in, and they did not intend to stir them up like this.

It just goes to show that the present crop of dubs are just as jumpy and ready to shoot off half cock, as were their fathers in 1975

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

jambon - "The guy I know was saying this the other day. 'It's been suggested this may be the last one', or words to that effect. Where & by whom? Is this doing the rounds?"

Studies have shown that from time to time, apocalyptic groups need to set a date for the End in order to stir up renewed zeal and recruitment amongst their respective memberships.

Unfortunately for the WTS, they hold the record for failed date-setting predictions, so they can't really do it and retain their credibility anymore. Oblique hints are the closest they can come, and that sort of thing don't have nearly the psychological impact as "Stay Alive 'til '75".

Even worse, at this point they pretty much have to do it all the time, to the degree where it almost becomes background noise.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Nathan Natas - "Jehovah's Witnesses yearn for Armageddon the way an alcoholic yearns for his next drink."

That's very true in some cases.

I thought it was the only thing that could ever free me from (what I thought were) the shitty aspects of my life.

Nathan Natas - "Armageddon will be the event that frees them from all worldly cares and proves that THEY were right and everyone else was wrong."

Never underestimate the allure of the ultimate supernatural revenge fantasy.

A little schadenfreude goes a long way.

• steve2
    steve2

We've really, really learnt our lesson about date setting, brothers and sisters. Date setting is so last century and the one before that. We've moved on as the light has brightened. Now we "innocently" raise the question, "Will this memorial be our last?" and, even though we answer, "We do not know", we know you will zealously let your imaginations run away with you. You guys are such gloriously obedient suckers - the ideal kind of followers that any religious leaders could ever wish to have. You do us proud - we cannot help but love you!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

steve2 - "...even though we answer, 'We do not know', we know you will zealously let your imaginations run away with you."

That one made me smile.

Would you believe that as I got older, part of me hoped that the End would come just so that I would no longer feel indentured to the WTS?

Imagine my dismay when I realized that if/when the JW version of Armageddon actually happened, the WTS fully intended to - for all intents and purposes - rule the planet for a thousand years afterwards...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit