Life for me as a jw (not really) teenager

by DuvanMuvan 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

thank you everyone, you've been so helpful(helpfull? idk)

quellycatface: my mum, grandma, a few aunties and some cousins but compared to my family as a whole the jws make up like 30/40%

@ABS while my mum is baptised you might be onto something when you said she might be spiritually weak. After discussing Noah's ark and some other topics she attimitted that it does seem as if not all the answers are there. but instead she says that "we can't expect to have all the answers now" (because when trying to get someone to change their entire faith and lifestyle apparently you only need to know about half of what you're talking about"

i think the more freedom might be due to me coming into the truth rather than being born in and so I wasn't always expected to be this way. I also don't really give her much trouble at home, except forgetting to do chores on the weekends and the odd no homework detention from school.

I have on one occasion mentioned to her to look up candace conti but I don't think she got around to it. I don't really mind if she remains a jw tbh. The only problems might be if I had a girlfriend or something but I don't think she'll mind too much.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing. The sooner you face up to what you want and who you are, the better, People on this board have devoted their whole lives to the organisation, and lost family ,friends, careers, and a whole lot more to boot.........you seem to have your head screwed on, take a breathe.....and jump! All the best to you xxx

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Welcome DuvanMuvan!

Welcome. Your writing is very good and clear. Your education must be very good.

When I was between 14 and 15, I wanted to go to college. This was 1984. Actually, both of my (JW) parents encouraged me to go to college based on my abilities. They had both gone through 1975, and saw my siblings struggle after foregoing college. Before that, in the late 1940's/early 50s, my father foregone college to pioneer. He also gave up an apprentice opportunity with a tool and die maker. He strongly believed tha the End was coming in the 50s. My mother wanted to be a nurse, and didn't do so until after 1975 due to her belief in the JW religion that the End was going to come. So, in 1984 I attended a convention. On stage, was a young lady who spoke of the horrors of attending college and gave the reasons why she quit after just one semester. She choose to pioneer, "As the End is Near and the Generation of 1914 could not pass away." I discussed her position with my parents, and they both said, "Hogwash Skeeter. If you live at home, we expect you to attend college and we're paying for it. Just don't blab about it at the KH" You see, not all parents believe everything the WTS teaches.

So, I continued on with my studies in High School. And, there came a time when I had doubts about how 1914 date was concocted. My 'door to door' hours slipped to zero. An elder took me aside and asked me. I confided to him that I had doubts as to the 1914 date and I shouldn't go out in service until I was more sure. So, the elder removed me from field service and made an announcement. I told him "Do whatever you have to do." After that, I occassionally attended a meeting here and there with my mother (my father was disfellowshipped at that time, since he's gone back in his old age to become a zealous JW fearing his own judgement.). I went to my last Memorial my senior year in High School. I quietly applied for colleges and was accepted. I went to just one or two meetings after that, and a funeral. No one from the KH hounded me, and my mother didn't hound me either. She just wanted me to complete my degree. I completed my Bachelors in Business and have had a good life. I didn't go wild. I now have a wonderful family, kids, and pets. I'm a very domesticated soul.

It was only until after our first child was born and my parents were aging that we had a few "witnessing" calls at our door. After two visits, never invited in, we told the callers to leave and we were not interested. Pretty much, end of story. Except that now every now and again, I get a preaching to by JW relatives. And, now, I know enough about the religion to really give it back to them. So, they stopped too.

I wish you the best. You seem to have your head screwed on straight, and that's refreshingly wonderful.

Skeeter

• clarity
    clarity

Duvan.........welcome ..you are in the 'Friends' section,

which is a great place to be! Love your determination,

you do see how the whole picture will change if you do get

baptised ....don't you? Right now you are free to live your life,

once you are baptised your life belongs to an organization.

Then if you leave ......... all witnesses,...including your mom

& all jw family will be coerced into shunning you! Many who

leave, never do get to speak to their relatives again!

DO not get baptised!

Congrats on being a smart kid ... wishing you all the best.

Ask a as many questions as you like.

clarity

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

I'd like to stay and talk more but avatar is on and I promised myself that not even Jehovah is gonna make me miss an episode

thanks everyone

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Welcome. You are on the right track, just keep doing what you are doing, trust your instincts, they are good ones. Respect your mom anyway, she is just trying to do what she thinks is best. Bide your time, you will be an adult soon enough and can do what you like. Don't get baptized or become a publisher, then they can kick you out if you mess up, you don't want them to make your mom stop talking to you.

• cult classic
    cult classic

You have a good head on your shoulders. Keep learning and plan for your life independent of WT. You'll do fine.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome, it was a pleasure to read your story.

We debated for a a couple of hours with no change in opinion. Since then I haven't had an actual discussion with him but he always gives me the old smile, ...

I've been waiting since then but he's always been giving talks away or busy.

That is very revealing. JWs will spend hours going door to door trying to find a new recruit, but are too busy to devote time to help one of their own. Maybe they realise that you know too much about both sides of the story, and so will affect their faith more than they can help yours.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Duvanmuvan= please do not be like me. I spent decades in that organisation, and for most of that time felt that life was passing me by. I have only just recently left and am now having to rebuild a whole new life. When you are young you are more vibrant and resilient. Hey life on the outside can also be a rough passage as well. Honestly I wish that I had put my foot down at your age.

JWfacts = This is something I find confusing as well. You sort of gotta wonder were their priorities lay. I remember some one telling me ( and this was from a marketing perspective) "it takes 8 times more money and effort to find a new customer than what it takes to keep an existing customer happy". Yelling isn't it.

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Pulled the homework card to get out of meeting on Tuesday so I guess I'm gonna have to have my "discussion" on Sunday. If all goes to plan it will be my last meeting except the memorial probably and the district assembly or whatever the national one is called now seeing as my mum booked us a room. Even though she knew that i didn't want to be a jw anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit