Life for me as a jw (not really) teenager

by DuvanMuvan 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Hey i joined this thread recently and thought this was a good way to introduce myself. I am 15, still going to school and I live in the uk. A good chunk of my mum's side of the family are jws. My dad isnt religious and loves to get into biblical debates with my mum.

Currently, I am still attending the meetings. This is purely because as my mum puts it "[i am] too young to make [your] own decisions and until you are an adult I am responsible for your spirituality." She knows I dont want to be a jw anymore, a few brothers and sisters in my kh know I have doubts (my mum didnt want to attract too much attention) but to everyone else I'm getting along just fine in the "truth". I don't have to go on the ministry anymore though because my mum agrees there's no point me spending an hour every week trying to teach people about stuff I don't believe in.

I've been going to the meetings for a few years. I can't put an exact number on it but it was when I was 7. (I remember because my last Christmas present was a ps2).

when I first started going I never really paid attention in the meetings and my grandma studied the my book of bible stories with me. I was always encouraged to answer up in the meetings but after the first couple of times I still found it boring.

at school life wasn't really that much different for me except I had to memorise the reasons I didn't celebrate Christmas or birthdays anymore.

It wasnt until I started going on the ministry that I realised how boring it was. I can honestly say that I've never enjoyed the ministry. Ever. My field service group was small and everyone was elderly and all had the idea that on a Saturday morning, school is the best conversation topic ever. Still i thought that if I wanted that pet penguin after ammERgeddon (that's my bristolian accent for any other English people reading this) that I should just stick it out.

While all this was going on I was always being encouraged to set spiritual goals for myself. I usually just made some up on the spot to keep people happy. Still haven't become an unbaptised publisher after I set that goal back in 2011. I don't think there's any point denying that I'm lazy as fudge. This is what probably kept me from questioning anything for such a long time as well as fear of any "evil apostates". It was really a matter of memorising those answers in the reasoning/young people ask book I'm case anyone at school asked me anything.

After I turned 14 I started questioning stuff I read in the publications. things like women being submissive and whether or not being gay really mattered to god. One big one though that really made me think was the story of Noah's ark. After doing some research through the publications and stumbling onto jwfacts I came to the conclusion that it couldn't have happened. When I first went onto jwfacts I tried to covnince myself that I wouldn't read anything that I deemed "not based on facts". Meaning anything I thought was just hate speech about jws I wouldn't read. But like every cheesy ass cartoon will tell you, "learning is fun" and I couldn't help but read everything I could find on the site.

By August of last year I finally told my mum that I didn't believe i what jws teach. she still thought I should come to the meetings because if I didn't go anymore, I could miss the answer to one of my questions. We then wrote all of my doubts down into bullet points. I think there were about 6/7 main ones. The first one being Noah's ark. We originally planned to go through each one but we got stuck on proving Noah's ark is real and I guess we still are there now. my mum invited a brother who she thought knew enough about science and stuff to help me came over and together they tried to convince me I was wrong. A couple weeks before the arranged date he gave me some material he thought would help me make my decision. Unfortunately for him, I had read all of it before and i wasn't really affected by it.

Well that's why I thought he was coming. Apparently my mum gave the brother the idea I wanted a study of some sort and he came over ready to study 'The Origin Of Life' book (which I already looked over before telling my mum i wanted to leave anyway). We debated for a a couple of hours with no change in opinion. Since then I haven't had an actual discussion with him but he always gives me the old smile, handshake and "nice to see you" at the kh.

More recently, 2 weeks ago when I discovered I have a bible reading in April coming up, my mum suggested that if I really didn't want to do it I could always ask to come off the ministry school. I spoke to the head/chair guy and he wants to have a proper discussion at another time. I've been waiting since then but he's always been giving talks away or busy. Hopefully I can talk to him tomorrow and leave once and for all.

if I were to put my beliefs on a scale of 0-10 (with 0 being atheist, 10 theist and 5 agnostic) I'd say i was about a 2/3.

anyone know if it's too late to put this in the experiences category?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hopefully I can talk to him tomorrow and leave once and for all.

You don`t need anyones permission to quit the Ministry School..

......................Just Tell Him..

.................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Sorry to hear that you're going through such a time...I went throught exactly what you did years ago.

Honestly, I would sit your mum down and just tell her outright what you said here. Tell her that you love her and your family and that you will respect their beliefs but that you have decided not to adopt them yourself. Assure her that you're not going to bust out on some major criminal, immoral spree, but that you just want to choose a different path. It's going to be difficult, especially with all of the people around you, and there may be emotion. Try to stay calm and stay true to yourself. I did...that was 25 years ago, and I don't regret it at all. Think about it and decide for yourself. You're very young, but very well spoken and you strike me as very intelligent.

You can email me anytime if you would like to chat to someone.

Stay strong....BIG HUGS.

Diana

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Lol outlaw I'm starting to think you have a secret folder on your computer filled with millions of jw memes for any occasion

and thank you diana. In the long run I think it'll probably easier doing what you suggested. It's getting pretty frustrating having to watch avatar:the last airbender and play legend of zelda in secret. Especially since the wii is in the living room.

• sspo
    sspo

You seem to be a very smart young adult and i'm glad you have not taken the step of baptism and make sure you don't.

Stick to your decision not to be a JW, make sure you get some good education or a skill that can support you and eventually a family.

Most of us us spent and wasted decades in the watchtower and i'm glad you're seeing the "light" about the watchtower.

• humbled
    humbled

Great clear thinking.

Do not waver. You have good reasons not to join up. You won't miss a beat in getting on in life as long as you steer clear of a religion that will not respect your thinking and your conscience.

Hang on to your convictions, DuvanMuvan.

I had 7 children and the ones who stood up to me and the Witnesses about the "Truth" are the happiest--Now ALL of them are out and so am I. They are all out and doing fine.

Maeve

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

Stick to your guns man. Just be honest with yourself and them. I went through the same thing 20 years ago. It's a lot easier to just put your foot down when you're a teenager than play the game and have to do it as an adult. Good luck and stay strong.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

You are very brave. Soo proud of you. Are the rest of your folks in the Borg?? How hard would it be for you to leave??

Stay strong.lot's of good people here to help you.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome DuvanMuvan, Your Mum sounds very "Spiritually Weak" (still thinking) to have married a non-JW and to give you so much latitude. You are very lucky.

I wonder if your Mum is just trying to placate her JW parents and/or family. Is your Mum baptized?

If you don't want to be a JW, just ask your Mum to help prove WTBTS doctrine that you are having trouble with using the Bible. Ask lots of questions of your Mum in an innocent way using information from www.jwfacts.com and/or asking for help from JWN members, and don't talk until your mother answers the last question asked. If you want to learn more about how to talk with a person who has been indoctrinated by BITE control techniques, please watch the following video: Strategic Interactive Approach explained 2003 (1:23:23)

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

I don't think your mother is "spiritually weak" that is a derogatory put down invented by

the WT to describe any person who is not a complete unquestioning, lock-step, insensitive,

submissive. Your mother is obviously paying attention to your anxiety about participating

in WT rituals you do not really believe in. Your mother loves you, I believe, MORE than she

she loves the "Governing Body" and she might be able to see some day, the false doctrines

of the "two classes" and the false Anti-Christ claims of the "Governing Body" that THEY are

the "sole channel of communication between man and God" They make meaningless, the

existance of Christ as Mediator and the freedom we are supposed to have to approach God

without any man, or group of men, or Priests or Popes or Governing Bodies, or intervention.

Ask her to show you where the word "Organization" appears in the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit