Life for me as a jw (not really) teenager

by DuvanMuvan 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

Good show.

On your program of a full exit, practice avoiding the phrase, "In the truth" or "Out of the truth". You have done a solid investigation and found out they DON'T have the truth. You are not leaving the truth and don't let your mom say you are.

If that TMS conductor tries to blow off your protests again, simply don't show. He'll get the message. It's his problem to fill those spots, not yours.

Have you got a network of "worldly" friends you can count on?

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Where's your dad in this? Appeal to him and tell him the truth. You can't do it anymore, not even to make mom happy. He needs to put a stop to your going to the meetings. I wish I had just stopped going, rather than thinking I was going to reason with anyone about it. Stop now. It won't work and it will just make you the enemy.

Been there, done that. I was stupid. Not for leaving but the way I left. Don't burn your bridges. You are not baptised or even a UBP. Just tell your mom that at this time, there is no way that you consider yourself a JW. You don't want to leave with burned bridges or ruin her reputation by being DA'd or anything. You just dont want to go to meetings anymore. If you ever want to do so again or have a change of heart, she will be the first to know, but now-you want to maintain cordial relationships with your whole family and old congregation, even if you don't believe all that they do. Unless she makes a big drama about it, no one else will. And your dad can step in anytime they start trying to grill you or shepherd you (really, that is what a shepherd does for dinner, right? Grill?)

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Your mom can share the room with someone in the congregation that needs a roomie. Don't go to that waste of your youth conference, please!!! Your mom can also go alone and it won't kill her. She's an adult. Maybe some time alone is something that would be spiritually beneficial to her, anyway!

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Jgnat I have a few friends i talk to about this stuff and this whole thing could have been over like two weeks ago but they can't take no for an answer

jwdaughter I don't wanna get my dad involved for one reason. The people in my kingdom hall like to jump to conclusions. remember that guy I said that my mum invited over change my mind? He wouldn't stop going on about me being able to "answer up in class", as if I was being peer pressured into beliving in evolution and couldn't possibly arrive at the conclusion on my own. If my dad starts backing me then they'll think I'm being pressured and be even more patronising than they are now. I already get more than enough "young ones-stand up for your faith" bs tbh.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Nice to see you here; the more the merrier.

A couple things...

DuvanMuvan - "...my mum agrees there's no point me spending an hour every week trying to teach people about stuff I don't believe in."

This tells me she has a measure of common sense and - due to the fact that she's married to a nonJW - probably doesn't subscribe 100% to the "only JWs will survive the Big A" sense of exclusivity.

DuvanMuvan - "We originally planned to go through each one but we got stuck on proving Noah's ark is real and I guess we still are there now. my mum invited a brother who she thought knew enough about science and stuff to help me came over and together they tried to convince me I was wrong."

And therein lies their problem; Genesis literalists can't "prove" the Deluge occurred, because there really is no proof, apart from "the Bible says so". Hence the subsequent attempt to convince you (despite a lack of proof).

You're handling your Mom pretty well; there's no spittle-flecked screaming matches over theology, nor (I assume) are you diving headfirst into the sex-drugs-and-rock-n-roll lifestyle, so I wouldn't worry too much; something tells me you won't have as much trouble leaving the WTS as some have.

Stick around; we may not be as cool as Facebook or Twitter, but a younger perspective is always welcome.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

jgnat - "...practice avoiding the phrase, 'In the truth' or 'Out of the truth'... Have you got a network of 'worldly' friends you can count on?"

...she said, without a hint of irony.

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOL, Vidiot. Even I get caught up in the language.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

You can take the girl out of the Watchtower, but it's a lot harder to take the Watchtower out of the girl...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

JWdaughter - "And your dad can step in anytime they start trying to grill you or shepherd you (really, that is what a shepherd does for dinner, right? Grill?)"

Grilled, BBQed, roasted, doesn't matter; in the long run, the sheep's fate is the same.

He's eaten (by the shepherd).

Why else do you think the WTS wants "sheeplike" ones?

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

I always have to stop myself from laughing whenever they call themselves sheep at the kh. I think it's what my English teacher would call dramatic irony.

I mean someone in the writing department must know about this right? If there's anything that Animal Farm taught us was that being a sheep isn't a complement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit