Life for me as a jw (not really) teenager

by DuvanMuvan 46 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

Vidiot, I have always been no more than an "interested observer". However, when in Rome....

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ah, that explains the quotation marks. My mistake.

An XJW who still had some residual conditioning probably wouldn't have used them.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Duvan,

You are an intelligent young man. Well done for reading everything on jwfacts.com before you made the descision to become an unbaptised publisher.

Now you can leave without any fear of being shunned by your family that are in, your are still young and they will likely treat you respectfully.

Thanks for your story it was a joy to read. Take care. Kate xx

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I agree with JWdaughter - why isn't your Dad providing you with more support in all of this? Why did he allow you to be denied Xmas and birthdays from the age of 7? As a UBM with a child at risk I get shocked at other UBMs who seem to let their JW spouses impose JW rules on the household and indoctrinate the kids without putting up any resistance - have some cojones. It is all very well arguing about the Bible - it is much more important to protect your kids from the cult for crying out loud.

Duvan - talk to your Dad - get him to understand what you are going through and that he has some responsibilities to you to help you through this - at least he should be able to provide you with a 'worldly' support network from his side of the family. Good luck and I agree with Kate - you are a thoughtful young man for identifying the problems for yourself. Fraz

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Hey guys just a quick update. I no longer have to go to the meetings anymore (except for when my mum gives a talk on Tuesdays, the memorial and the international assembly that we've already booked a hotel for).

I finally had the discussion with the elder. He kept saying about how he would ENCOURAGE me to keep going to the meetings and to have a study with someone but he can't physically force me. Whenever he asked me if I would be open to continue going but I said it wouldn't make a difference. I've already made my choice. I told him I don't think the religion was the truth (he had to take a breath, must've shocked him so much) and that even after doing research i still want to leave. He kept saying "we'll talk about it on Tuesday" to try and convince me into going back.

When we got home I told my mum how it went and asked if I still had to go to the meetings. I could tell she was a bit upset and she was saying that I was going because she enjoyed having me there and not because the elders wanted me to so what they said didn't affect me. Then she said that she would rather me sat in the meetings, not engaging with the talks and staring into space than not go at all. Then i said "who said I had to engage with it in the first place?". That's when she said "alright fine, dont go, but you're coming to the memorial" and later she asked if I would go if she had a talk on a Tuesday meeting and I said ok.

I think it will be a while before I can play COD or legend of zelda with her in the room but it's a still a step in the right direction.

p.s I don't think I'll try to get her to leave though because she seems happy and I don't want her to get shunned by her own mum

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Congratulations on the best exit ever!

It is better to leave your mom with her delusional life. People have rights to choose where and how they want to worship.

• Demokan
    Demokan

Duvanmuvan, your braver than me I'm 15 and I haven't even gotten the courage to cancel a talk without coming on this site to ask people for advice on how to do it~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Demokan
    Demokan

Duvanmuvan, your braver than me I'm 15 and I haven't even gotten the courage to cancel a talk without coming on this site to ask people for advice on how to do it~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Demokan are you baptised. If you aren't then just tell them you don't want to. If they try to guilt you into doing it then say it's your choice and they can't change your mind.

no posts for about an hour now

what's that like 5/6 team deathmatches on mw2?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

sarahsmile - "It is better to leave your mom with her delusional life."

Yeah, it's been the general consensus here for a while that older JWs - with some exceptions - should be left in peace (unless they themselves choose to examine TTATT, first, of course).

I certainly have no intention of pressing the issue of my inactive status with my 83-year-old Mom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit