The purpose of changing JW names, titles and terms

by gingerbread 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

During a discussion over the weekend, we exchanged ideas about recent changes in terminology related to assembly days, conventions and new titles for the higher-ups. I commented that for years in 'security' at larger meetings we were told to talk to any that seemed out of place and ask questions that would indicate if they were apostates - antiquated terms like 'overseer' or a reference the 'Truth' book.

Another in our group brought up the character in the Orwell book 1984 and how his job was to separate new and approved terms from old words. This was called doublethink and blackwhite. Interesting way to control and manipulate information.

Is the change in terms a way for the faithful to feel up to speed with the organization? Is it an easy way to identify anyone who is not active so a private shunning is possible?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Dunno, I think most of the changes are for a specific reason. For instance, "district assemblies" becoming "regional assemblies" because they are not organized by district anymore. And literature needs to be updated, so naturally the new book gets a new name.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Mostly change for changes sake, I guess Ginger, though it will have the effect of exposing us 'poztates if we don't keep up with the Newspeak.

Its all designed to give the impression that the Org is on the move, whereas really, just like Jehovah's Chariot, which is evidently in the Repair Shop, nothing in the way of real progress is happening.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I'm with Phizzy on this. The new terminology, in a JW's mind, indicates "progression" and god's obvious blessing. It takes so little to intrigue a JW, and any little change becomes monumental- it's pathetic when you really think about it.

--

The new terminology will get JWs excited for a while, like giving a kitten a ball of yarn to play with, and get them thinking Armageddon must surely be close---but they'll soon lapse into apathy and boredom that is life as a JW...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Is the change in terms a way for the faithful to feel up to speed with the organization?

Yes.

Is it an easy way to identify anyone who is not active so a private shunning is possible?

Maybe, but we have the internet and forums like this that keep us up to speed with WBT$ stupidity.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Is it an easy way to identify anyone who is not active so a private shunning is possible?

That was my wife's comment. Anyone who doesn't know the "pure language" is quickly identified and should be watched closely. (NO association with those on the fringe!!!)

Doc

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Name changes give the faithful the opportunity to judge individuals as to whether they are keeping up with jehovah's chariot. If you hear someone using outdated language you know they are not spiritually minded.

• blondie
    blondie

How many of us remember the Watchtower study in the 1970's about the "pure language" or in 1991, a vocabulary that proved to be words that the WTS injected into the bible, like "paradise earth" and "governing body." Or that knowing these words proved one to be a true and active jw...shibboleth or sibboleth.

Theocratese

http://jehovah.to/glos/index.html

*** w91 5/1 p. 19 par. 17 Speak the Pure Language and Live Forever! ***
    conflict between the Israelite tribe of Ephraim and Judge Jephthah of Gilead. To identify Ephraimites trying to flee across the Jordan River, the Gileadites used the password “Shibboleth,” which had an initial “sh” sound. The men of Ephraim betrayed themselves to the Gileadite sentries at the fords of the Jordan by saying “Sibboleth” instead of “Shibboleth,” mispronouncing the opening sound of the word. As a result, 42,000 Ephraimites were slain! (Judges 12:5, 6) Similarly, what Christendom’s clergy teach may sound close to the pure language to those not well acquainted with Bible truth. But speaking in a false religious way will prove fatal in the day of Jehovah’s anger.
  • Comatose
    Comatose

Thank god 42k people were butchered without escape for mispronouncing a word. How loving of god!

• KateWild
    KateWild

The new terminology will get JWs excited for a while, like giving a kitten a ball of yarn to play with, and get them thinking Armageddon must surely be close---but they'll soon lapse into apathy and boredom that is life as a JW...- ADCMS

Lol thats so funny, I thought the same myself, nulite, new books, new titles....it's all about keeping the attention of those with a low attention span. Good one ADCMS. Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit