New congregation accounting system

by thedog1 58 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dozy
    dozy

The WTBTS in the UK now has 32 million GBP in accumulated funds on deposit from congregations & circuits.

They reinvest most of this in fixed interest investments ( presumably gilts or bonds ) as they only expect a maximum of 10% to be claimed back in any one year. The strong impression I get is that the WTBTS is having something of a liquidity crisis , as evidenced by their fire sale of Bethels all over the world , so any grab on cash held in congregation bank accounts would be useful.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends61/0001077961_AC_20120831_E_C.pdf

Deposits comprise monies received from individuals, circuits and congregations and held with the Society until they have a need. Based on previous experience, it is considered highly unlikely that the entire balance of deposits will be demanded within the next financial year. The deposits are given on the understanding that the Society will repay them on demand. This would normally lead to them being classified as current liabilities. If all of the cash received in respect of these deposits was held as a current asset, then this would be the accounting policy adopted. However, as cash accumulates (from all sources, including deposits received) the trustees consider it prudent and cost effective to make transfers into fixed asset investments, both to improve security of principal and return on investment.

The trustees believe that it would be prejudicial to the charity's liquidity to show a current liability for the creditor (for which no repayment date is known) and to show most of the resultant asset as a fixed asset investment. The trustees have therefore classified the deposits as long-term creditors in order to show a true and fair view.

Based on requests for repayment over recent financial years, it is anticipated that approximately 10% of deposits held will be requested back in the next 12 months. The trustees therefore consider it prudent to class 10% of the balance of deposits as short term creditors.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Watchtower Free,

Thanks for posting the pic. In the early 1950's the Howdy Doody show was very popular in the U.S. There was a character called Dilly Dally. The fourth guy from the left top row reminded me of him. Dilly always had a hat on but the resemblence is amazing. So I googled the Howdy Doody show with Dilly Dally. Made me laugh like crazy seeing the pic of Dilly.

HappyDad

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I got to give it to the people of JWN. Every time I think I've heard it all. Unexpectedly someone puts a bomb under me and just detonates it. I'm in a state of shock at how I could not possibly know this. What a total idiot I am. Oops and sorry for the mess.

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

joe, don't beat yourself up over anything. These guys duped a lot of people. Ambient abuse makes people crazy over a long period of time and you begin to doubt your own judgement. These guys are pros at ambient abuse.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

This has been the case for several years though. It's called "Funds on Deposit" Form S-26a-E from 11/10 has an example of the 'arrangement' and TO-62-E from 2/10 has this on it as well.

The original letter that announced this was 9/4/08 Re: Funds on deposit and Kingdom Hall loans

The only problem is getting the funds back. These funds can't be used for local RBC projects or anything big, you can't just take out your $10k, you have to get special permission from the branch.

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Marked

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I'm just speechless.

• Bloody Hotdogs!
    Bloody Hotdogs!

I can confirm this for Canada. I was an accounts servant until last year. Extra funds are transferred to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society and recorded on page two of the report as “funds on deposit with Watchtower”. In our case, it amounted to nearly 40k at one point. That money was returned to the congregation for a renovation project.

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

New accounting system for JW's. Bend over. Take a deep breath. And kiss your sorry ass goodbye.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit