New congregation accounting system

by thedog1 58 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thedog1
    thedog1

Maybe somebody can help me here. I'm sure I read a thread here about the new congregation accounting procedures. I ask because I handle the accounts in our cong and in our part of the world the new accounting system has just arrived whereby local congs do not have their own account any longer, but all funds outside of basic monthly costs is forwarded to an account controlled by the org. This is causing huge confusion in our cong as we have to work out how much we need to keep back for monthly costs and the new idea is that you send all your extra cash to the org and if you need it back you can ask for it but we don't know how easy or hard it would be to do that. Any links to previous threads on this?

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Sounds like a money grab

Apostate & Ex-Jehovalarious Meme Collection

https://www.facebook.com/groups/JWmeme/

• TableForOne
    TableForOne

thedog1 wrote: "all funds outside of basic monthly costs is forwarded to an account controlled by the org"

Really? That's incredible/scandalous/desperate, if confirmed.

I was account servant (in the UK) until recently, but I've never heard any of this.

Are you in the USA? Maybe it's being trialled there first.

• sir82
    sir82

What country are you in? That does not seem to be the case in the US, unless I am hopelssly out of the loop.

• baltar447
    baltar447

WOW

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

ugottabejoking

• thedog1
    thedog1

Let me try to clarify this. For many years each congregation has had its own account. Usually, in the country I live in (I don't want to say where I am but it is in Europe) up to now each cong had an account which had a simple bank book with the names of two bros on it. These two bros administered the account for the cong and worked out how much was needed to send to the org each month through bank transfers for contributions received for the worldwide preaching work, for building Kingdom Halls worldwide and for any loans advanced by the org for building the Kingdom Hall. All that has changed as now the account in the control of the local cong has disappeared and a new account has been created in the name of the org in whatever country you may be in. All funds collected each month are deposited in this account, with the exception of funds for monthly running costs such as electricity and similar outlays. In this way, local control of funds received in now zilch. The account is administerd locally by a number of local bros, but that is only a technicality, as, get this, these bros will only have an ATM card with which to deposit funds, not to withdraw them. If a cong needs any out-of-the-ordinary expense covered, they have to request this money from the org account and the funds will be sent to another named account which is run by something called the Kingdom Hall Operating Committee, which co-ordinates the maintenance of the halls.

• thedog1
    thedog1

I kid you not! I am still doing the accounts in my hall and this is making my head spin!

• jgnat
    jgnat

This might be illegal, in a financial sense. It all depends on how your non-profits are set up. If each congregation is a separate entity, no way should they be sending all their accounts to a central one.

• TableForOne
    TableForOne

thedog1, when did these changes begin?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit